Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 09:33 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I've been married long enough to know that whatever your wife thinks is right, regardless of the actual facts
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcannonball View Post
Perhaps I missed it, but I have never seen a Class A with sleepers over the driver. That arrangement typically describes a Class C.
jmcannonball
All "Class C coaches" have a portion of the coach interior over the cab, (which may or may not contain a bed).

Some "Class A coaches" have a drop-down bed above the driver and passenger seats...(that doesn't make them a Class C).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Class A - no body provided from chassis builder
Class B - complete body provided from chassis builder
Class C - Driver's section provided from chassis builder (cutaway van)
Sweetbriar
Both the "chassis" and the "body" of this "Class A motorhom" were built by the same company.... SMC, (Safari Motorcoach Corporation).

1996 SAFARI SAHARA 3530
Old 11-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
I call it WAY out of my price range.
Mine too! LOL
I have to admit I really like the look of this RV though. (see pic in Dan-Nickie's post)
A 14 wheeler. I wonder if any of the rear duals are articulated to aid in turning sharp corners?
If I hit the Mega-Millions lottery tonight I'll let you know more about this MH. LOL
Lynn
Old 11-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Since RVIA sets the designations for RV's in the US, here's a link to their website.
The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RV Types & Prices
And the correct designation since 2000 is "Type" not "Class"
I am curious. Under who's authority do they set the designations? I do not know if everyone or I accept the above statement that they set the designations.

My class A is a 1988 Fleetwood Southwind, with a chevy drive train. I call it a class A. I refuse to call it a type A. I have it registered and titled in Massachusetts. They call it an 'Autohome' and have their own designations.

As far as I am concerned, and I am surely guilty as the next, most people have a pretty short attention span. I think we may be in an entertaining but circular discussion, trying to determine the origins of these titles. But I remember a time when many people sought to determine what the definition of 'is' is.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I am curious. Under who's authority do they set the designations? I do not know if everyone or I accept the above statement that they set the designations...
The authority is extended by the RV Manufacturers banding together in a trade organization for standards and certifications...RVIA means Recreational Vehicle Industry Association:
The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RVIA Main Site Home

The RVIA was created by the builders in the face of federal government threats to regulate the industry. I would venture a guess that the creation of the RVIA has been a better thing for all concerned, over the federal government directly regulating the industry.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I am curious. Under who's authority do they set the designations? I do not know if everyone or I accept the above statement that they set the designations.
My class A is a 1988 Fleetwood Southwind, with a chevy drive train. I call it a class A. I refuse to call it a type A. I have it registered and titled in Massachusetts. They call it an 'Autohome' and have their own designations.
KSagal
Whether you like it or not... the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association, Inc. (RIVA), classifies motor homes as "Type A", "Type B" or "Type C".
The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: RV Types & Prices

However I call my 20 year old, 150k mile, "Type A" Safari a "money pit", (and I have the receipts to prove it).....you can call your 1988 Fleetwood Southwind anything you wish.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #36

Maybe a good name...

Many years ago, I saw printed on the back of an elderly motorhome: "The Damn Thing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
...However I call my 20 year old, 150k mile, "Type A" Safari a "money pit", (and I have the receipts to prove it).....you can call your 1988 Fleetwood Southwind anything you wish.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #37

While it is very true that I questioned RIVA's authority to change the name of my motor home, after it was built, and while I own it, my questioning them has no bearing on if or if not anyone else should question it.

Furthermore, I am also quick to note that while I may or may not recognize RIVA's authority, I am even quicker to note that I have even less authority than they to name or rename or deny any name for any motor home. When it comes to reasonable authority, no one has less than me.

I do like the idea of just titling your motor home with whatever nom de plume you care for. I will have to think of an appropriate one for mine...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c