RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #1

Class F License

Hey all, forgive me if this question has been answered before.
A recent discussion on driving a Class A, a neighbor stated that he had a Class F license due to insurance and state requirements due to the fact of weight...

Does anyone know anything about this??

Jay

jaykris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #2

Some states require it, some don't. My state, South Carolina, requires it.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Jay
It all depends on your state of residence. Some states require an upgraded license and some don’t. Again depends on what state you live in.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #4

Is it required for transiting? IOW, Georgia doesnt, do I need it to go through SC??
jaykris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #5

No, it’s all based on the state you’re licensed in. If your state doesn’t require it you can drive on the one you have anywhere in the US.
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #6

The states that do require a special license is generally based on weight. So a lot of class A still fall under that like 26k or so
Old 05-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #7

The weight limit I for a basic operator is anything <= 26,000 lbs. anything over that in combination ( vehicle plus trailers ) get to the “upgraded”. States that are requiring that type of license is definitely based on weight and most are offering what is a becoming known and a non-commercial “CDL”.

I have a class A CDL, so I haven’t ever worried about it. In speaking with many LEO’s, it is all based on state laws if your state doesn’t require it then you’re fine. Check with your local motor vehicle or drivers license division to be sure.
cashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykris View Post
Hey all, forgive me if this question has been answered before.
A recent discussion on driving a Class A, a neighbor stated that he had a Class F license due to insurance and state requirements due to the fact of weight...

Does anyone know anything about this??

Jay
Does not apply to RVs in GA.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You do have to check the laws some states like AZ require a Cdw over a certain weight but exclude RV’s. So it’s not just the weight.

Now there are other laws that apply to you regardless of where your home state it.

I can remember exactly but I believe Washington DC has some odd laws regarding RV’s and size/weight that will apply but your right to drive the rig is not part of that I think.

Like in CA if your rig has more than 2 axels you are required to stay in the right lane and have a lower speed limit.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #10
Decrepit Forum Advocate

From my understanding, Georgia does require a Class F license for their residents to drive a non-commercial vehicle that has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or greater.

If your profile is correct and you own a 2019 40' Newmar Ventana and you are a resident of Georgia (your drivers license and domicile is in Georgia), then YES, you are required to obtain a Class F non-commercial license as your Ventana has a GVWR greater than 26,000 lbs. The vast majority of diesel pushers are rated at greater than 26,000 lbs. GVWR.

The wording is such from the Georgia Department of Driver Services:

Quote:
Class F (Non-commercial) – Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR, not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Includes vehicles in Class C. Must be at least 18 years of age, pass a knowledge and skill test, and possess a valid Class C license when applying.
From: License Classes - Georgia Department of Driver Services
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:38 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Georgia Code Title 40. Motor Vehicles and Traffic § 40-5-142

provided, however, that for the purposes of this article, no agricultural vehicle, commercial vehicle operated by military personnel for military purposes, recreational vehicle, or fire-fighting or emergency equipment vehicle shall be considered a commercial motor vehicle

And this document https://dps.georgia.gov/document/pub...enses/download on the back under exemptions also states that drivers of RV’s are exempted from needing to get a CDL.

I am not an atty and I don’t play one on TV but this excerpt found the George code and the back of the info sheet would look to exempt RV’s from the definition of “commercial motor vehicle” that would in turn not to require the operator to have a CDL.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:52 AM   #12

While our son went to the georgia police academy they had a class on licensing. Needless to say he came home to tell me that I was now required to have a non commercial E or F license. I went to the DMV and they called someone in Atlanta and sure enough they said I did! They gave ma a study guide and the following week I sat for the test. Either way now I have a non commercial E which allows for single or combinations of greater than 26001lbs.
sgraham5451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraham5451 View Post
While our son went to the georgia police academy they had a class on licensing. Needless to say he came home to tell me that I was now required to have a non commercial E or F license. I went to the DMV and they called someone in Atlanta and sure enough they said I did! They gave ma a study guide and the following week I sat for the test. Either way now I have a non commercial E which allows for single or combinations of greater than 26001lbs.

On the back of ga class A licenses say.( All recreational vehicles included).
Old 05-23-2020, 04:52 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
On the back of ga class A licenses say.( All recreational vehicles included).
Does the front of that class A license have
“COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE” printed on it? If so you are correct. Recreational vehicles do not require a commercial drivers license but some states do require an upgraded license. There is a difference in the two.

srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote