Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 12:18 AM   #1

Clean and refresh fiberglass roof

We have a 36' motorhome with a fiberglass roof.
It's a 2017 model. It's been washed, but no other maintenance. We are getting chalking, the whitish streaks so we know we need to do more maintenance.

We live in our rv and have been on the road for 2 years. We are currently in Long Beach, CA, our home base.

I've gone on line to find mobile rv roof maintenance, but the seem to be geared towards rubber roofs. The one video that I did see for fiberglass was showing a procedure that would preclude our occupation of it (we do not have access to our house as we have tenants).

Questions: Does anyone know of a mobile rv service in So CA that does fiberglass roofs? Does anyone know whether I need a complete refinishing or just a good cleaning, polishing and wax job?

I've submitted some photos. One shows dirt that just come off with water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_161245.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	337270   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210725_161052.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	337271  

Name:	20210725_161215.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	337272  
lynwaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 01:03 AM   #2

OPTION2! All you need to do is wash and apply a good polish at least once a year. After that, simply wash the roof periodically. I have been doing this to my roof for the past 20 years and it looks perfect!

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:14 AM   #3
Community Moderator

We apply 303 to the fiberglass after washing and allowing the water to dry. We try to do this once or twice per year.

Name:	IMG_9657.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	337307
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Option 2. Clean roof with dawn and put a coat of Rust-oleum Topside marines paint. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1288.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	337308
Harleytoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynwaly View Post

It's a 2017 model. It's been washed, but no other maintenance. We are getting chalking, the whitish streaks so we know we need to do more maintenance.

We live in our rv and have been on the road for 2 years. We are currently in Long Beach, CA, our home base.

I've gone on line to find mobile rv roof maintenance, but the seem to be geared towards rubber roofs. The one video that I did see for fiberglass was showing a procedure that would preclude our occupation of it (we do not have access to our house as we have tenants).

Questions: Does anyone know of a mobile rv service in So CA that does fiberglass roofs? Does anyone know whether I need a complete refinishing or just a good cleaning, polishing and wax job?

I would not think that a 2017 roof would need a new coating just yet. Try a good cleaning first. Then maybe 303 as mentioned.

If you do decide it needs a new coating, i suggest Bus Kote. I looked at other options but this seemed the best way to go. Pretty simple to apply after a good pressure washing. I am in the process of my second coat today.

The Rustoleum as mentioned is a bit more complicated. First off, don’t use Dawn. Dawn leaves a film. The directions clearly state using a water and ammonia mixture and/or you need to sand with 150 grit.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #6
Community Moderator

I agree you probably don’t need to paint over the fiberglass….. ours is a 2013 and doesn’t need any paint.

You just need to clean it REALLY WELL. We use the magic eraser mop head and car wash soap. This takes all the junk off. Then either wax or polish, or my preference, the 303.

Name:	IMG_9658.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	337322
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
We apply 303 to the fiberglass after washing and allowing the water to dry. We try to do this once or twice per year.

Attachment 337307
Padsdad1: Not to contradict what you have to say but IAW the manufacturers instructions, the 303 treatment is only good for 2-3 weeks before having to be reapplied. Maybe it is because I live in Florida but I found that it only lasts about a week, or until the first rainfall.

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

For reduced chalking, I had better results with a liquid floor wax than 303. 303 is probably a better preservative, but maybe not so effective if its already chalking?

I find it unusual that a 2017 coach has chalking roof already - mine was near 10 years old before I had to repaint it. But maybe yours was exposed to acid rain of some sort or other industrial waste corrosion. I used Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coat on mine and prepped it by wiping down with liquid sandpaper after a thorough washing. Worked great.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:54 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would find an RV detailer and pay them to wash and wax the roof, easier then waxing the sides, as they can sit while they work.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:

Your pictures show black mold spots on your roof. I keep mine clean N shiny with a few oz bleach and the recommended amount of car wash soap in a 5G bucket of water. I wash our MH about 3X a year and it has no black spots anywhere, roof does not chalk enough in 4 months to see on the sides of the MH
Any touch-up needed is accomplished with Crown Boat and RV black streak remover. Made in KY.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:

Well Lynwally,
You've been given some advice on what's next for your fiberglass roof. We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and it has a fiberglass roof and I wouldn't put ANY PAINT on it if I was paid to. And 303 is merely a slight surface coating that won't have any longevity. I'm a tad bit surprised at the spotting on such a new coach. But, everyone's got different atmospheric and living conditions so, a fiberglass roof is gonna exhibit different appearances in different living conditions.

To have any form of "chalking" on a 2017 model seems a bit premature aging to me but, the sun, and any other elements do take their toll on a roof surface.

In any case, based on the pictures you're presenting, what's needed for your roof is a very good and dillagent wash. And that will entail the use of a good dishwashing soap like Dawn and, the use of some CLEANSER too!!!!!!

Yes, I said CLEANSER. You will not hurt the fiberglass surface in any way, shape or form. You'll need your hose up there to thoroughly rinse that roof as you wash and scrub it and, also rinse the sides down too so they don't accumulate the run-off of the cleanser and soap. Your roof will appear nice and white when you're done.

From that point on, it's a bit more work to achieve what you'd like to see. I know, I've done all of it. What will be needed is to actually MACHINE polish that roof. I did it with a DeWalt professional polisher and a wool pad. I used 3M Polishing liquid. That process took me the better part of two days. From that point, I used a decent automotive wax. No automotive wax lasts for ever, in spite of the claims and what people say. I know, I've tried just about every type of auto wax on the market on all kinds of surfaces.

Once it's thoroughly waxed, your roof will last like that for quite a while before needing a tough-up job. Some people don't like doing that much work on a roof. I don't blame them, it's not a fun job. But, if you want top-of-the-line results, NOTHING IS EASY! If you want to cease the streaking, NOTHING IS EASY! The sun is harsh on everything on this planet, especially RV roofs.

Then there's the safety police yelling about "It's gonna be really slippery up there if you wax it, don't do it"!!!!!! OF COURSE it's gonna be slippery, geeeze, duh, that's a given. No one told anyone to get up there and square dance in the rain after you've waxed your roof! It's a matter of common sense if you need to get back up there for any reason, especially if it's wet. BE CAREFULL!
Scott

In the pics below, you see the before and after when I did our roof. You can see the reflections of the framework of the cover the RV is parked under.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	337369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	337370  

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	337371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	337372  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
our MH the fiberglass looks bad. I'm going to watch the thread.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
our MH the fiberglass looks bad. I'm going to watch the thread.
Art,
Well, you see what a bit of work produces. I've not had a single "chalk" line or any residue, in any form, trail down the sides of our coach, in any rain storm or washing for years due to the work/effort that I put into that roof. Yep, it's work but, to me, wellllllllllll worth it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I wash mine twice a year with a mequires wash n wax product and then periodically wax it with a synthetic carnuba blend, its not perfect, but it looks decent for a 20 year old roof, and has no chalking. Don't over complicate it, fiberglass is resilient, and "do not paint it!" Otherwise the paint itself will become a worse maintenance issue than just cleaning the fiberglass.

Tags
fiberglass, roof