Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cleaning Out Holding Tank Cavity

Howdy friends! Has anyone knowledge of good methods of cleaning out the cavity that houses the holding tanks? 2004 Pace Arrow 37C and i’d like to try to minimize the residue that causes odor etc. TIA
HeresJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The "cavity" that holds the tanks themselves? That's just the surrounding structure of the RV. What is in there that needs cleaning out? And how did it get there? There shouldn't be any water waste products at all unless something has sprung a leak.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello HeresJohnny. Some holding tanks have "black tank rinse" connections, usually in the wet bay, to connect a hose to. With the water turned on, the black tank rinse sprays the inside of the tanks to rinse it down. If your coach does not have the rinse connections, you can use a tank cleaning wand. With water hose connected, the wand can be inserted through the toilet, and with water on the wand is rotated around to spray the insides of the tank. Available at Amazon and RV supply stores. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flexibl...s%2C185&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...%2C185&sr=8-11

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rinser-...%2C185&sr=8-12
Old 03-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #4

I'd open up any access panels and use a power washer. I'm guessing if you think you have stink from the bay that hold the holding tanks that there must have been a resident squirrel or rat, etc.

As Gary had said, there should be no residue, unless you've had leaks from above, through side panel gaskets or the fittings to the tanks.

After the power wash you'll lwant to set up a blower for a day or so to get all the water trapped under the tanks to dry out.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
I'd open up any access panels and use a power washer. I'm guessing if you think you have stink from the bay that hold the holding tanks that there must have been a resident squirrel or rat, etc.

As Gary had said, there should be no residue, unless you've had leaks from above, through side panel gaskets or the fittings to the tanks.

After the power wash you'll lwant to set up a blower for a day or so to get all the water trapped under the tanks to dry out.
Yes I think it's likely that some time before our ownership of the unit that some left residue. And that’s what I envisioned also, maybe getting in there with some simple green and rinsing with the pressure washer. I was curious if anyone had maybe a more effective or efficient or creative method. Thanks for confirming!
Old 03-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #6

There are many threads here to help you. Common ways are to dump ice in the tank, add dishwashing detergent, simple green to a full tank of water and drive to your next destination and then dump. Always after you dump close the valves and refill the tank a couple t9and dump. Don't forget to add 5 gallons of water to the tsnk after you dump.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My interpretation of the post is he's looking for some way to clean out the area where the tanks are installed, NOT the inside of the tanks...
Old 03-01-2020, 11:53 AM   #8
tcg

Get some Clorox Cleanup and put it in a pump up sprayer, soak the whole area down getting the spray wand in all the nooks and crannies. Let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes then rinse it off.

A power washer will make a bigger mess and end up getting you wet and/or icky. A standard garden hose gives you more control and less backsplash on you. A power washer will use less water.

I like Clorox Cleanup over just bleach and water because Clorox Cleanup has surfactants that will help the product spread out once you get things wet.

Been doing this stuff for 30 years with my cleaning company. Clorox Cleanup or Tilex has been my goto cleaner for stuff like your describing for many years.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:00 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Get some Clorox Cleanup and put it in a pump up sprayer, soak the whole area down getting the spray wand in all the nooks and crannies. Let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes then rinse it off.

A power washer will make a bigger mess and end up getting you wet and/or icky. A standard garden hose gives you more control and less backsplash on you. A power washer will use less water.

I like Clorox Cleanup over just bleach and water because Clorox Cleanup has surfactants that will help the product spread out once you get things wet.

Been doing this stuff for 30 years with my cleaning company. Clorox Cleanup or Tilex has been my goto cleaner for stuff like your describing for many years.
Ah yes a garden sprayer Cleanup is a great idea especially since there is very little visibility in the area. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The "cavity" that holds the tanks themselves? That's just the surrounding structure of the RV. What is in there that needs cleaning out? And how did it get there? There shouldn't be any water waste products at all unless something has sprung a leak.
I was thinking the same after reading the initial question.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #11

You might make a close inspection of the tank to make sure there is not a crack on the upper lip/lid of the tank that is causing the odor...

https://youtu.be/7w8q8BmCJAc

Btw Don’t use the product he used... check out his later video where that method failed and he redid the fix...
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #12

You might also want to have your slides in and then tilt the MH to assist with draining as you wash/flush...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank