Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 06:12 AM   #1

Cleaning outside of coach while on the road??

How do folks wash/wax or clean the outside of your coach when on the road?

Full timers must do/deal with this. Virtually every RV park we stay at expressly prohibits washing vehicles of any kind on site.

We have been on the road since the first week of October and will not be back home unit mid April. En-route we drove through some heavy rain areas. Outside of coach is pretty dirty.

I have used a "Sponge bath" method to clean small areas at a time, but roof must still be pretty dirty as even light rain running down the sides streaks the windows.

Most RV parks allow window cleaning, so I have sort of expanded that to small areas of the body adjacent to windows. No one has complained yet.

I have seen a few high end RV places that advertise and allow "Detailers" to come in and wash/wax rigs. Usually hundreds of $$$ but may be worth it.

Along major interstate HWYS. I have seen signs for Truck Wash places.

Anyway curious as when a sparkling shiny "local rig weekender" pulls in next to us we are feeling bad about the looks of the coach. Only a year old and really want to maintain it as best I can.

Cheers,
Bat Dude
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 06:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
How do folks wash/wax or clean the outside of your coach when on the road?

Full timers must do/deal with this. Virtually every RV park we stay at expressly prohibits washing vehicles of any kind on site.

We have been on the road since the first week of October and will not be back home unit mid April. En-route we drove through some heavy rain areas. Outside of coach is pretty dirty.

I have used a "Sponge bath" method to clean small areas at a time, but roof must still be pretty dirty as even light rain running down the sides streaks the windows.

Most RV parks allow window cleaning, so I have sort of expanded that to small areas of the body adjacent to windows. No one has complained yet.

I have seen a few high end RV places that advertise and allow "Detailers" to come in and wash/wax rigs. Usually hundreds of $$$ but may be worth it.

Along major interstate HWYS. I have seen signs for Truck Wash places.

Anyway curious as when a sparkling shiny "local rig weekender" pulls in next to us we are feeling bad about the looks of the coach. Only a year old and really want to maintain it as best I can.

Cheers,
Bat Dude
We're not full time, but when on the road for long periods, we use a combination of what you mentioned. Most parks allow washing the front of the coach. Sometimes I fill a bucket of warm water and sponge bath a few spots, wheels, etc, and have used the local contractors that are allowed in the park. The one thing I WON'T do is use the truck wash places.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
Community Moderator

We have found campgrounds that will allow washing, usually for a small fee ($5-$15) in addition to parks which don’t care if you wash or not.

If you have a high quality paint job, I would NOT use a truck wash. Yes, have seen some youtubers do it, (specifying no acid wash and no brushes) but even then it’s not a roof wash, so we don’t bother.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We use Blue Beacon Truck Wash when necessary. Entegras have a nice paint job and we haven't discovered any issues from BB. They are quite reasonable and do a good job in just a few minutes. The trucks getting washed with us have nice paint jobs too!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #5

I also have had no trouble with blue beacon. They are aware of the issues around paint, and do not use acidic wash. Lots of others on the forum have also said they have used blue beacon with no issues...
Old 11-28-2021, 08:48 AM   #6

Another happy Blue Beacon customer. No problems in 8 years with this coach. Just say no brushes and get the top too. I've looked at the top after all is dry and they do a great job with just water pressure. For what little they charge, it's just not worth it for me to do it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If it's real bad I'd either find a campground that allowed washing or hit a DIY car/truck wash (quarter machine - takes $4-$6). Mostly, though, it was wash the windshield & lower front with my window wash mop/squeegee, and wipe the lower sides with a spritz bottle of white vinegar & water and a microfiber cloth. Never had any complaints about either.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:55 AM   #8

I use a bucket of warm water and my sponge to get the bugs off the front at the end of almost every trip, unless it is a bug free trip. If no rain and just some dust, I will use my Wash Wax All mop and get the sides nice and shiny again. I used some detail guys once in a park and that will be the last time I do that, unless you like water spots and missed areas. I have never used the truck washes.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some parks will allow an outside service to come in and wash, provided they bring in their own water. Some will let you wash for a fee. Just ask the park, even if the rules say no RV washing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Cleaning outside of coach while on the road??

I use Wash wax all from Aero Cosmetics a quality waterless wash and wax combined.
I bought the full kit including the extension pole with changeable special microfiber heads. Uses no water from a hose which is what campgrounds with no wash rules don’t want you doing. Nobody said you can’t clean, they just don’t want you running water all over the place!
5 years in nice rv resorts and plain campgrounds I’ve never had an issue or anyone stop me. In fact I get questions on “where I can get it” and when can you do mine?
I’ve also used beacon with no issues. The Diamonte Marquis paint was and is amazing. That’s the reason for a full body paint job ! From my observation, The people with beacon / truck wash issues are the ones that have cheap paint jobs , decals etc. that and a gas refer that can get water in the vents if you have one, ( tell them to be careful).
Old 11-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We use mobile services in the parks. It is expensive but worth it. I have friends who have used BB and had problems with the pressure damaging the paint and decals and such. We generally will do the bay doors by hand at different campgrounds and get the "full service" every 3 months or so.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #12

i use a bucket of water and my long handle brush never was told not allowed
Old 11-28-2021, 11:36 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax*

Mix with distilled water
Old 11-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #14

Another Wash wax all satisfied customer!