Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 08:02 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Rubber Roof Cleaner - Protect All

Dick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
You're right, a bit under 0.2% concentration when used as recommended.
Dicor says no petroleum distillates and no citric acid. That means 0%.

Use at your own risk.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #17

Why does it seem a lot of people are opposed to soap? Just soap?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Way back 4 years ago I was told just to use Borax Detergent or Plain old DAWN and a LIGHT brush, rinse, then apply (but not necessary) 303 protectant....
Old 09-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Hogwash! "Harsh" means caustic chemicals, like an acid-based concrete cleaner, or abrasives. Heck, Dicor recommends Tilex for cleaning if very dirty or moldy. Read the Diucor EPDM care instructions here:
https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/ro...-roofing/#care

You can use any strong household detergent (including Simple Green) and bleach (to remove any mold in the pores of the rubber). Use a soft or medium bristle brush (on a long handle, so you can stand up using it). Then rinse thoroughly. Make sure yu wash/rinse the sides of the RV after, cause the chalky residue from the roof will streak if you don't.
EXACTLY!!!!
On our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 and V-10, I used just about every type of soap on the planet and, some pretty stiff brushes over the 7 years we owned it. None of that stuff EVER did any harm to that roof. Some people think that, that roof is like tissue paper. Well, it's not steel but, it's pretty darn tuff. It can't take harsh tree branches (i.e. cut-off ones that have stumped ends) and things like that but, it's a lot tougher than many think.

Use what you want. It will survive.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Because they are clueless. They "hear" that things can be possibly or, potentially damaging but, really DON'T have practical experience with what they're repeating they've heard. It's pretty simple, get up there with some SOAP AND WATER, and a good brush and, go to work! If those rubber (it doesn't matter what type, EDPM or the other one), roofs were/are that DELICATE, even walking on them would damage them.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #21

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I used a squirt of Dawn AND a splash of Murphy's oil soap....worked fairly well.
I will soon also try Protect All products. Just be safe...falling off a class A would really suck.
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Murphy Oil Soap was (not sure about current) recommended by Newmar for use on their Britec Roof. What you Do Not want to use is any product that contains Petroleum byproducts.
After cleaning, give it a treatment with Aerospace 303 for UV Protection.

Dicor also has some very good products.

https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/roof-products/
Thanks Dennis Never too old to learn something new
kvm1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #23

Probably against everyone's grain I got the job done last weekend. I was in my local Ace Hardware store and they had their RV line of accessories on sale. I bought the last 32 oz. bottle of Camco rubber roof cleaner and conditioner for $6.95. This did the entire roof and left it nearly spotless.
Actually I am quite pleased with the way it came out.
I also bought a bottle of Camco black streak remover and the Camco wash and wax. The RV looks like new.
Now to get it put under cover for the winter months.
Lynn
Old 10-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Use what you want. It will survive.
Scott
Used cleaners in the past that I now know I should not have, but the rubber roof is 22 years old. The white surface is warn through in a few places, so plan on replacing the roof myself next spring.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Think Kitchen Floor.

I use Spic & Span.. Water, Bucket, Hose with sprayer (rinse it off) and a long handled "Van Wash" brush. in place of a mop.. I think the brush is easier to use.

Just like the Kitchen, Make sure you do not mop yourself into a corner.. (You want to mop so you end up on the ladder)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Think Kitchen Floor.

I use Spic & Span.. Water, Bucket, Hose with sprayer (rinse it off) and a long handled "Van Wash" brush. in place of a mop.. I think the brush is easier to use.

Just like the Kitchen, Make sure you do not mop yourself into a corner.. (You want to mop so you end up on the ladder)
I looked around for a brush and found one I liked at NAPA auto parts. It is soft and sort of rounded but did a great job.
I wore clean sneakers ( yes I cleaned them before getting on the roof ) so I wouldn't scratch the roof material. I liked the idea the cleaner I bought had a conditioner built into it.
I had someone suggest I buy the cheapest hair shampoo I could find at a "Dollar Store". I know shampoo is formulated to remove oil from hair. I was a little reluctant to use this as I felt the oil might help in preserving the roofing material.
I finally convinced myself to go with a product made for the purpose. At the price I paid I don't feel I got gypped.
Lynn
Old 10-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #27

I found the original paperwork for our roof and it recommended murphy oil soap. I was wondering about the 303 aerospace protectant. Seems other replies are in agreement
ReenFl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Dicor used to recommend using Spic N Span until they began selling their own line of EPDM treatment products. I've used Spic N Span but it does not clean nearly as well as Dirtex wall cleaner. I use the powdered kind, but I've had it before they began selling it in liquid form.
It DOES remove those stubborn black spots from EPDM and fiberglass roofs, I've been happy with the results for many years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof