Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #1

Clearance lights and tail lights

Every thing was working fine on my 2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial until I tried to wire in a new plug for my tow hitch. Now the taillights and the clearance light have stopped working. I have looked in my manuals and cannot find anything addressing this problem. Can any one out there me?
Brereton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like a blown fuse. Maybe you got a wire crossed in the connection? Or maybe inside the plug? Don't know your coach, but there is a fuse box for just the rear set of lights behind the left rear wheel on my DP. Kinduv hard to find, but that's where my aft fuses are. Do you have anything that looks like a small block of fuses under a [black] plastic cover back there? Do you have a manual? Worst case is manually tracing the wires from one of the lights -- it will prolly head right to the fuse block. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #3

Your explanation of what you did and the failure is not too clear, so it is a bit murky. I would start by returning the system back to its previous state and getting your tail lights to work again. If you can wire your system, you should be able to trouble shoot it, if not, I suggest you have a technician do the wiring for you.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
After you rewire back to the original wiring as RodgerS said check this link for your connections.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
My fuses are in the storage right under the driver. Shows a fuse 34 for tail and clearances lights. Might be worth a check.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
If you find a fuse is blown, you'll need to trace out the short. Don't forget the possibility that the short could be in the trailer/toad's wiring or in the cable that connects the toad to the MH. Good luck! / ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
On our 01 Imperial we had a converter box on the tail/turn light cable for the toad. What I did was cut the box out, leaving all the slack I could, then used a voltmeter to identify the individual wire functions. I then used crimp connectors and new wires to connect to a new round 6 pin socket mounted where the old one was. I was very lucky that both the MH and toad had individual separate stop, brake and backup light bulbs so NO adapter box was required. If your toad has any combination lights, ie stop/turn combined function, then you will need a diode adapter box to keep the two systems electrically separated and functioning correctly. All of this wiring for the toad is located in the harness along the far rear inside of the engine compartment. You can also identify the proper wiring by carefully looking for a 9 or 7 pin connector in that wiring harness. That should be the correct wiring/connector for the toad connections. Your meter will tell you if you are correct.
God luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:20 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I will try to clarify the number of pins on the wiring connector later today, The MH is not here but expected back today and I will confirm the number of pins and hopefully the wire colors on it. Everything there is black from the spray used on the fiberglass.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know where my fuses for the lights are yet but I will be looking now. To follow up on my previous so you don't blow any more fuses etc., The plug in the MH end for your tow lights is a 6 (SIX) pin rubber plug and receptacle. The color code as best as can see is on one end there is a green , next is a yellow, next is a brown (or violet), next is a red, next is a gray, and the last is a white. Their functions are
Green = right turn light
Yellow = left turn light
brown = tail lights
red = stop light
gray = Backup lights
white = ground - which is not connected thru the connector.
As noted previously, make sure that your toad has individual lights per function or you will need a converter box.
FWIW- I found the fuses for the lights in the outside compartment by the drivers left foot and in the small black boxes marked Monaco 1 and Monaco 2. They are both located below the big printed circuit board. Let us know how you make out.
Good luck, good health and safe travels
Old 02-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #10

I discovered that just one loose strand of copper can cause problems, and a headache. Locating the blown fuse was easy, finding the cause_not!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights