RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 AM   #1

Close call....

Working on cleaning the flue on the Dometic RM-2611 when I caught just a small whiff of ammonia. Not normal.

With my light started carefully looking for leaks on the back side of fridge high & low. Nothing, no traces of ammonia leakage.

Walk around inside open the fridge and was nearly floored by the fumes of ammonia. Damn! And I'm slated to roll out of town on the 20th. Or at least I thought I was. Crap!

Have the RV airing out now (fridge door closed). Weird thing is I had the RV out just over (1) week ago and ran the fridge overnight for a check and it worked perfect (ice cold).

Any ideas as to cost of repair/replacing the unit and turn around time on a replacement?
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 04:09 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
udidwht-

I think that after using the comparison charts (links here and here) and looking around you may find that a replacement the same size may not be available. If that is the case, you have the option of replacing the cooling unit only. See this link for a replacement Dometic 2611 cooling unit from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse.

Sometimes there's enough room in the coach to replace the cooling unit. That saves removing a door or window.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #3

I did myself a couple months back. Bought the cooling unit from RVCool, killed a day getting it out and apart, and a couple more getting it back together. RVCool was cheapest for my model 2652 but several sites are in the biz and there are many here with experience and opinion as well. And however you fix it, get the ARP safety device, seemed to me to be cheap insurance. Good luck. The smell took a month to clear up in my rig btw
Old 06-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Home depot sells a refrigerator that is just under 24 inches wide and just under 60 inches tall. I twill probably fit in your RV and runs on 110v. the old frig. will go out through the door if you take the doors off and this one will go in. If you have a gen. it can run off it when not on shore power. and when you get back if you decide to have your old one repaired this will make a good beer box. JUST AN IDEA
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #5

Fortunately, when my Dometic lost the coolant it vented outside. I rebuilt mine using the Amish replacement unit. If I had a do over, I would have replaced it with a residential unit. Much less expense, less dangerous, and gets colder. I also had to replace the heating elements, thermistor, and circuit board all within two years of the rebuild.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
Home depot sells a refrigerator that is just under 24 inches wide and just under 60 inches tall. I twill probably fit in your RV and runs on 110v. the old frig. will go out through the door if you take the doors off and this one will go in. If you have a gen. it can run off it when not on shore power. and when you get back if you decide to have your old one repaired this will make a good beer box. JUST AN IDEA
And that's a good idea. I bought probably that same one, for my RV, but not as a temporary replacement. My intention is to replace the (still working) Norcold, with the residential style. It will fit in the space with little to no mods, other than to just install some bolts through the bottom brackets, to secure it, and a latch to keep the doors closed during travel. There are a lot of choices for that.

When OP gets back home, he can finish up some trim moldings if needed to give it a factory-installed look, and either install a dedicated inverter for the fridge, or just use the gen, as needed. Total cost to make the switch; around $400, and gain additional space in both fridge and freezer.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #7

I like the fact that the residential unit does no use ammonia but I'm also not thrilled that it doens't run via propane. Not looking to run the generator hours on end just for fridge use.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
I like the fact that the residential unit does no use ammonia but I'm also not thrilled that it doens't run via propane. Not looking to run the generator hours on end just for fridge use.
I bought a small 24" X 60" Frigidaire unit that is very energy efficient. It only uses 329 kWh per year which means it can very easily run off a battery bank with judicious use of your generator.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidai...FYrHwAodjJoA2g
Old 06-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
Some people figure out ways to make it work but all electric is not usually feasible if the majority of your camping is without hookups. On the other hand, if most of your stays are with hookups, then a compressor type frig can work out great. Going down the road is no problem if you power it via the right sized inverter and chassis' alternator. It will stay cool for a while even when power is unavailable.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, agree with those saying it is not a problem running even the one in Lowes or H.D., on a dedicated inverter, connected to the house batteries, and being charged while driving, as well as when on Gen. These refrigerators stay pretty cold, even when turned off for hours.

So for the O.P., switching out the bad propane for a residential fridge, could save this trip he was planning, and later, add an inverter and even a 300W solar panel, and still be all in for less than the price of a replacement propane cooling unit.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote