Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2017, 01:19 PM   #15

when I was driving commercially, I often had to back into tight spots at night, and always alone. I kept a few small flashlights and some duct tape handy. I would use the lights to mark the opening or to illuminate any obstructions. This was especially helpful in the rain.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Watched a fellow and his wife back their 5er into a fairly tight spot. They did really well until she had a "look a butterfly" moment when one of the neighbors started talking to her. She did not look up to see the large tree branch. I yelled but was not quick enough. Tore the roof fabric.

I will offer to help but if declined I will leave them to their task and not distract them.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #17

When I back my MH into my shop building, I always wait until after sunset.
Backing into a building on a bright sunny day is almost impossible... can't see into the building with the mirrors.
After sunset, I turn the lights on in the building and can see in the building with mirrors just fine.

And, I always have DW on the cell phone watching for what I might miss. So far, so good
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
She already knows it, that's why I carry 2!
hmm.. im still thinkn she better have a sense of humor.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #19

I had one of those moments a couple of weeks ago while travelling solo (my wife flew home and I was doing a solo return drive from Wyoming) and stopping at a state park campground in Arkansas. It was a back in site rated for a 25 ft motorhome, mine is right at 30 with 2 large trees at the back, there was just enough room to thread a motorhome between the trees and overhang the back of the site. with maybe a foot to spare to the tree trunks on each side. Thankfully I stopped to go look before tires made it to the curb stop as there was a large limb from one of the trees getting ready to take out the top of my rear ladder, 2 or 3 more inches and the ladder would have been toast.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

Like most motorhomes, our coach has two rear view mirrors and a back-up camera. I use all three and NEVER have anyone on the ground directing me. That is a recipe for disaster, for sure. I have to back our coach into a 14 foot door after every trip, with limited maneuvering room in front. No problem at all.

Another tenant at this same storage facility hit the building THREE TIMES getting his coach into the garage the first time. He did $20,000 damage to his new coach. If that's his level of proficiency, he has no business driving a big vehicle like that...anywhere.

The guy who backed the fiver in all by himself is how things are SUPPOSED to be done. If you cannot maneuver your coach, fiver, etc. that well, you need more training and practice.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #21

Always a chance for an accident when you let your guard down and don't have a G.O.A.L. (Get out and look)
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I scratched the grab bar by the door two weeks ago pulling mine out. Narrow gate with about 8 inches clearance on each side. Mirrors are over the block wall. DW always helps but this time I decided to do it my self. Still hearing about it from DW.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
When I'm backing I don't pay attention to unsolicited help.

Even with the DW out there, I often check for myself.
I agree with Twinboat. Once at a boating event they were helping me to back up so I thought my friends knew what I need while backing up. NOT
They help me back my right corner into a telephone pole. After that I don't ask and ignore any and all hand signals. They Have no idea.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
When I'm backing I don't pay attention to unsolicited help.

Even with the DW out there, I often check for myself.

I check for myself as well even If I have to get out several times. If things are a little close, I get my bearings and use the DW as an orange cone, I should buy some, but I have her stand where I need to direct the coach, she has all authority to yell and tell me to stop If she perceives a problem but I DO NOT let her give me directions.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #25

[QUOTE=A Traveler;

Another tenant at this same storage facility hit the building THREE TIMES getting his coach into the garage the first time. He did $20,000 damage to his new coach. If that's his level of proficiency, he has no business driving a big vehicle like that...anywhere.

My thoughts exactly......you know at a lot of dealerships they have those big yellow steel post ant their entry and exits.....you ever notice how much paint is on them......if you hit one of those as when your pulling your new vehicle out of the driveway then you should have the keys taken away from you to protect the unsuspecting public.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I drove all kinds of truck and trailer combinations and never had a problem backing into spots. I buy a Class A and I scrape the side on a fence going forward coming out of a tight alley. All I heard for a while was "Professional HuH".
Old 09-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We have worked it out so that when it is time to back up, she drives and I observe and direct. In the beginning we tried it the other way. She didn't have a clue about signals, turning radius, she thought she was signaling something, I thought she was crocheting......so I just ignored her.
So she is good at taking instructions, and I have a loud shouting voice. I can walk around and see what is important. Just hope we don't pull in next to you late at night.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I drove all kinds of truck and trailer combinations and never had a problem backing into spots. I buy a Class A and I scrape the side on a fence going forward coming out of a tight alley. All I heard for a while was "Professional HuH".
That really can Pi** a guy off.
I am an old farm boy who started working on farms at age 12. I learned how to back up a trailer at 11 years old practicing with my Dad's 1949 Oldsmobile and his homemade utility trailer in our back field. When I started driving farm tractors I had to learn how to back a hay wagon up. This was a little challenging at first but I became proficient. Then I learned to back up a tractor and a hay baler with a hay wagon hooked to the rear of the baler. This one took a while but I finally got good with it. It saved a lot of unhooking and hooking things up. I had a lot of people say they wouldn't have believed it if they hadn't seen it. I probably couldn't do it today. It's been a while. I don't own a baler. I did try backing up two hay wagons once. I gave up before I destroyed 2 perfectly good wagons.
I will back my MH up anywhere I want when I am home but when I park in a campground I always have a spotter. More often than not the spotter is my son. We have worked together backing things up for a long time. He knows where to be and I recognize his hand signals. This is important. My wife has watched my son and me enough to pretty well copy our movements. She will guide me back if my son isn't there to.
Every campground is a little different in site layout. There are also other people moving around, kids playing and pets moving about as well as power cords and water hoses laying around. Often times other campers will be a little crooked in their sites and or real close to your designated line.
The best teacher to learn backing up well is practice, practice and more practice until you are comfortable and confident doing it.
Lynn