Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coach 12volt problems

My 2007 Winnebago 33V has no 12 volt power when shore power is disconnected. The batteries are charged and have 12.65 volts. The house lighting will not come on and the generator will not start. Connecting to shore power does give me house lighting. I suspect the ATS but can't figure how that would prevent voltage from getting to the generator starter supply. I can't find any schematics showing how the coach batteries are distributed to the coach and generator starter.
2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a battery connection issue. While on shore power 12v is probably coming from converter/inverter. When on battery, it's not probably due to a bad connection, bad ground or corrosion. Look at the ends going to the frame or at the "other end" of the 12+ connection. I am not an expert so take my advice for whats it's worth! Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also make sure your battery disconnect switches are on.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #4

The relay activated by the storage switch is open or broken. Check the switch then check the relay.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #5

May be the switch by the door. May have turned it off on the way out.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
He said that 12v works on shore power. That would not be the case with the salesman switch off or that relay bad. Just saying. At least on mine and the ones I've heard of but like I say, no expert here.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2travel View Post
My 2007 Winnebago 33V has no 12 volt power when shore power is disconnected. The batteries are charged and have 12.65 volts. The house lighting will not come on and the generator will not start. Connecting to shore power does give me house lighting. I suspect the ATS but can't figure how that would prevent voltage from getting to the generator starter supply. I can't find any schematics showing how the coach batteries are distributed to the coach and generator starter.

Your 12vdc power from the battery has nothing to do with the ATS.

When on shore power, your 12vdv is being supplied by your Converter or Inverter/charger. When no shore power, it comes directly from the coach battery thru the battery cutoff solenoid. That could be suspect. However, usually the generator starter does not go thru that solenoid.

My guess would be that the negative battery cable has a bad ground connection.

Point is to check all cable connections on both ends of each.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like to me that there might be a DC circuit breaker in the Battery Control center (or Bird) that needs to be reset. Once reset, it will allow the 12 volts from the batteries to supply the coach. The converter is supplying the 12 volts when o n shore power.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. I checked the battery switch by the door and found it to be bad. Seems like things are working properly now.
2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #10

I really think that the 12v power is always thru the batteries weather shore or gen or none...the shore power just activates a switch to charges the batteries but the 12v actually comes straight from the battery...and its the switching that actually does the shore or gen or none power.. the batteries are obviously being charged when plugged in or they would be dead....so my Opinion is its in the switching or solenoids. jeff
Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #11

You can disconnect your batteries and still have full 12 v power. The converter is providing the power.
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #12

you may be right..i had a long discussion with my son a few ur well many years ago when he was going to school for electrical engineer. but I not him...I thought I remembered him explaining the bird and ems systems and the convertor was for dc to ac power and charging 12v batteries. like mine up to 130 amps hr....so the way I remembered it was as batteries charging you still get the power from the batteries if properly wired and switched. but hey I never tried unhooking batteries and using unless it then uses the charger portion as supplying power.. jeff
Old 08-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Coach 12volt problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
you may be right..i had a long discussion with my son a few ur well many years ago when he was going to school for electrical engineer. but I not him...I thought I remembered him explaining the bird and ems systems and the convertor was for dc to ac power and charging 12v batteries. like mine up to 130 amps hr....so the way I remembered it was as batteries charging you still get the power from the batteries if properly wired and switched. but hey I never tried unhooking batteries and using unless it then uses the charger portion as supplying power.. jeff

The Converter or Inverter/charger is designed to supply the 12vdc needs of your RV using the battery as reserve capacity for large loads like jacks and slide mechanisms. It also maintained the battery charge level when capacity is available and shore power is applied.

DC to AC power is from an Inverter which is normally found in a motorhome. And in some cases a combined Inverter/Charger.

Most trailers have a Converter which converts the 120vac to 12vdc as explained above.

Hope this clears up your understanding.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 08-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
The simple fact is the converter can be wired to either side of the battery disconnect relay. On our first MH there was no 12 VDC even when plugged in because the converter charger was connected to the battery. On our current MH plugging in gives 12 VDC so everything works but the battery is not charged unless I turn on the salesman's/storage switch.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote