Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #1

Coach pre-buy inspection

I have asked two questions on this forum, and gotten fantastic responses! So, Ill try for a third.

How do I find someone to perform a pre-buy inspection on a coach in the Orlando area?

How much should I expect to pay for that evaluation?

Thanks.
ccsmith51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsmith51 View Post
I have asked two questions on this forum, and gotten fantastic responses! So, I’ll try for a third.

How do I find someone to perform a pre-buy inspection on a coach in the Orlando area?

How much should I expect to pay for that evaluation?

Thanks.
Start with a search on the craigslist for central fla. Look for RV repair services..

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/ao...422680146.html
Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My recommendation is to use/contact RV Inspection Connection. They have NIRVA certified inspectors nationwide (or whom can otherwise travel to any customers location). In terms of cost, I suppose most depends upon 1) the type of coach to be inspected, and 2) the level of inspection you want to have performed as there are options available such as having all fluids analyzed (which I recommend also).

INSPECTION COST: In terms of cost, and only as example: we paid $1,600 to have an inspection performed on a 2014 Newmar King Aire in Texas which included the sampling analysis of both engine and generator lube oils, coolants as well as the transmission and fuel system. The physical inspection RVIC performed on our behalf took 2-full days to complete and required the coach to be connected to shore power, fresh water supply and sewer dump (so that they could inspect the working condition and performance of those system. Don't be alarmed by the cost above as it's determined by a number of factors which may or may not apply in your case. Best just to call them and inquire.

INSPECTION REPORT: The report RVIC provided us following the inspection was somewhere up to 85 pages in length including accompanying photographs of all major components and/or systems inspected together with an overall executive summary with ratings for each component. The fluid analysis lab reports took an additional 3-5 days but equally came with both detailed reports and summary ratings. All easy to read and understand.

PROTECT YOURSELF: Also, bear in mind that RVIC's NIRVA certified inspectors must agree to and sign annual no-conflict agreements which ensure their customers of no collusion between the inspector and the seller. Something to strongly consider when reaching out to an independent or local RV tech or the like to do a PPI as they may have an undisclosed or prior affiliation with the seller that would not be in your favor. There have been reports of some "shade tree" inspectors actually charging a fee for their services then at the same time, getting paid through the back door by the seller. Unfortunate but true. This of course does not apply to all independent RV inspectors but its still something to consider when looking for an inspection service.

OUTCOME: After receiving and reviewing the RVIC report we "walked away from what had previously appeared to be a great deal" as the report indicated there were a number of underlying problems that we would have never known existed at the time, i.e. high phosphorus/calcium deposit build up in the engine & cooling system, abnormal generator engine wear, faulty ABS system, and a number of features that were not working properly, etc. etc.

Hiring RV Inspection Connection was the right choice for us and "Money well spent!".

FREE CALL: Give them a call, as I'd suspect there is a high probability the have inspectors close to the Orlando area.

https://rvinspection.com
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #4

RV Inspection Connection

About $400 - $550 including lab work.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Above you see two widely different inspection prices. That's a difference in how much "inspection" you want. Around $500 will get you a couple hours of the inspectors time, enough to give a "once over" mostly visual inspection. If you want a chassis mechanical inspection expect another $500+, and probably a separate inspector. If you want the water system pressure tested, fridge run til its cold, genset tested under load, and that sort of in-depth analysis, expect to pay upwards of $1500 because the house systems & appliances alone will be a full days work, plus report preparation.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote