Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #29

We've all been there done that. It's a good lesson to all. If something does not feel right stop and check it out. If it had been a brake it could have been a lot worse.

With the transfer case stories I always worry about that since Jeep does not have a light saying you're in neutral with it. I have the DW watch to be sure the wheels are rolling free before we take off.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #30

Two words: Check List.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #31

Could be oil seal leaking.
ravenbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenbuck View Post
Could be oil seal leaking.
Read some of the posts near the end for the fix.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Show me someone who never makes a mistake and I'll show you someone who never does anything.

I left the parking brake set on a toad one time. Fortunately my wife saw the wheels not turning when she did her walk around as I pulled forward slowly.

Things happen.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #34
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
As a former USAF pilot I was used to check lists. No matter how many hours of flight time I had I always used my check list. Make one and use it. It prevents things like this from happening. I also use "red pins" on thing that are very important.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #35

Ouch! It happens. I bought an old winnie years ago and immediately drove to the car wash to get the price paint off. yep, destroyed the front a/c.
jamisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by markarbogast View Post
Ok folks I figured it out and it’s not pretty. I forgot to unlock the tow jeeps steering wheel. Managed to chew up a couple of the jeeps front tires in the process. I got distracted because we had a leak in the rear AC at 2am in all that nasty Missouri tornado weather and was up all night. I wasn’t thinking too clear in the morning and stupid things always happen. It’s a slightly expensive lesson that I am ashamed to admit to. I posted this instead of hiding because I consider it my penance for being a stupid old man!
To follow-up, I would have the tow bar inspected for unusual wear or stress cracks or bent parts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking

As I started reading this post I'm thinking to myself I wonder if he checked the steering lock? I should post this! Really the only reason I thought of that first was because as others said, mistakes will happen and I too did the same thing. Luckily I headed the warning that something was not right and stopped to find the tires were just starting to get soft and sticky. Released the lock and all was good.
Happy camping!
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #38

I feel your pain

As a former driver's safety instructor I'm embarrassed to even think of all the dumb mistakes I've made. Here are two rules that I never compromise:

Rule number one: When Driving the RV if something does not feel right. Find a place to safely pull over and check it out.

Rule number two: When backing the RV and you lose sight of your assistant, STOP.

Had I known and followed these two simple things sooner I would have avoided most of my pain.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
Checklist is great but also doing it the same way everytime helps

This will make you feel better. On my very first trip at my first rest stop I decided to run the CRV to keep the trans lubed. For what ever reason I set the E-brake. Started it up let it idle while I was in the restroom. Came back, turned the key off, fired up the motorhome, put it in Drive and it it wasn't moving even on a downhill. Speaks volumes about the Ebrake on the CRV. So I remembered not releasing the brake, got up, went to the CRV and released the parking brake. Yep she started rolling (I left the motorhome in "D"). Fortunately my wife jumped up and got it stopped before we hit anything. How dumb right?

Yes I have a checklist and ALWAYS do it the same way and in the same order if possible!

Most of us have done something stupid. I met my RV zen master in Cody WY the next day. I asked him for advice for a newbie. This is what he told me: "You only need to know 2 things. Go down the hill in the same gear you would go up it. Realize S**T is going to happen and as long as there is no blood on the highway all is good!."

Pretty much put it in perspective and allows me to laugh at my mistakes. I just switched to a TT and now have to learn my lessons all over, well at least a new checklist.....
SailorDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Don't feel bad, when we tried to leave Alpine Tx, I felt a big drag on the moho when I tried to move forward.
Noticed in the mirror that the front wheel was being drag through the gravel.
Now I pissed at the wife as it's her job to set the car up and obviously left it in park.
So I get out to investigate and low and behold, I never hooked up the right side tow bar cleat. So it stretched out the ReadyBrake cable and locked the brakes.
Had to back up the moho to relieve tension on the brake cable and then finish my part of hooking the car up.
Fortunately I didn't yell at my wife before I discovered my huge error.

Plus I had just lectured her on double checking each step in setting up the car.
MODERATORS!!!!! PLEASE DELETE THIS BEFORE ANY OF OUR WIVES READ IT!!! WE CAN'T LET THEM SEE ANY OF US ADMIT TO MAKING A MISTAKE!!!! ESPECECIALLY AFTER GIVING A LECTURE ABOUT THE SAME TOPIC!!!!
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #41

Beyond the tires 125 miles being dragged like that would be very hard on the Jeeps drag link, tie rod, track bar, ball joints, control arms and all the axle/frame mounts. I would get it on a lift and check for other damage. I doubt it would be limited to just tire damage. Any of those failing at highway speeds could be a real problem.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #42

Disabled the steering lock on my tundra to keep from having the airbags lit up going down the road, never stopped to think how easy it would be to leave it locked and take off. I got lucky .
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground