Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Coach pulls hard right after stay in campground

Here is what happened...
Decided to stay a couple nights at an RV Park 125 miles from home. Drove there, no issues, didn’t hit anything, steering straight, AOK. Hooked up to leave today and it’s pulling HARD to the right. I made it home but if I let go of the wheel we would be off the road into the grass in 20 feet or less. The only thing I came up with was that I had a hard time getting the coach level on the site we were at. Ended up with the front right of the coach lower and I inadvertently left the wheels turned right just a bit while it was parked. I have a SafeTplus installed. I’m thinking maybe being on the angle and un level for two days and nights moved the SafeTplus off center. Just looking for any observations or help.
Thanks folks,
markarbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
That's a good possibility if the clamp on the steering tie rod slipped. I would loosen the bolts on it with the wheels pointed straight ahead and see if it moves back into position.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #3

Can't comment on what your safety plus is doing, don't care for them. But it should be fairly easy to disconnect to see if it changes anything.

You could, however, have a sticky brake. Feel, or even better point a trigger thermometer at the front brakes and see if the right one is (a lot) warmer than the left.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #4

Air pressure in the pax side steer tire?

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Checked that...100psi just like the drivers side.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
That's a good possibility if the clamp on the steering tie rod slipped. I would loosen the bolts on it with the wheels pointed straight ahead and see if it moves back into position.
How do you fix a “sticky brake” if that’s the issue?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #7

Jack the right front tire off the ground and see if you can spin the wheel. If not, then caliper is hung-up. Could be a bad caliper or bad brake hose. Sometimes a bad hose will collapse internally and act like a check valve. Inspect the metal lines and look for kinks near the right front wheel. Could you have bumped a brake line setting up?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #8

I will add +1 to the Safety Steer and the first suspect. Loosen the clamp as suggested and let us know the result.

Post above gives good instructions for a brake check. Visual inspection a good idea.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #9

With air brakes, you can go out and pull on the slack adjuster. With a good pull, you should be able pull the rod out of the chamber 1/2 " or so.

If its stuck out and dragging, it won't move. Compare it to the other side.

Have someone lightly apply the brakes while you watch each front brake apply and release.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #10

If you gave a brake hanging up you'd know it pronto by the smell and even smoke,especially when you said it pulls hard in a tiny distance. To my knowledge the 'safety steer' centers the steering ,a dislocated mount can cause you issue. Great suggestions above.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #11

hard pull to the right

The problem may not always the wheel that pulls hard.

Consider looking at the OTHER wheel. I had the same problem and found that I had a leaking seal on the opposite wheel. It had saturated the brake lining. So . .. it wasn't applying any braking, allowing the front to pull to the side that WAS functioning.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So many great suggestions and observations p. I can always count on the IRV2 clan to help! Thanks guys, I’ll let you know what I find.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He drove it 125 miles home so I don't think it will be a brake issue - if the brake was dragging for that distance it would have ignited, or locked up completely. The most likely culprit is the steering system, as has been noted.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I will add +1 to the Safety Steer and the first suspect. Loosen the clamp as suggested and let us know the result.

Post above gives good instructions for a brake check. Visual inspection a good idea.
It wouldn't be a brake sticking problem since he made it home without anything burning up. Just a few miles down the road and there'd have been smoke and that terrible burnt brake smell coming from that corner.

I'm taking it the safety steer is made to center the tires when you let go of the steering wheel?? If so, I'd look at it first to see if something came loose.

Edited to say,,, Missed reading the last couple of replies the first time around,, see now that this was already covered... Oooops!

Tags
campground