Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #99

You could state they are free to look through any windows they wish as long as they do not climb or touch your siding.

Ours are about 6 to 7 feet up on sides and front is over 6 up and the nose sticks out a bit.

He could climb on bumper but would need to sign waiver in case he falls...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
If you have nothing to hide - what's the big deal? Let them search!!!!!!! Do you have to like it? No of course not, but unless you are hiding something .... nothing to worry about except some lost travel time.
That's not the point. It's an erosion of your rights. Give that up next time it will "ver ar yer
papers"
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #101

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting topic

Without a warrant they don't set foot inside my coach. I have had this happen in my truck, clearly stated that unless I was being detained or they had a warrant I was leaving. Asked for the officers supervisor and at that point was told to move along. This is America, no one will infringe on my rights................and I have nothing to hide. Plus my rather over protective 115 lb Rottweiler doesn't care much for uninvited guest
Reelgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:53 PM   #102

I'm of the opinion that giving the police permission to search is a bad thing. I know there are people who believe that if you've done nothing wrong, you should have nothing to hide. Me? Who don't you have something to hide? You should!

Sledders defy police with &#39;sled-in&#39; protest on Capitol Hill | Fox News

Many years ago we were returning home from a late supper and pulled over by a small town policeman. Why? "The car in front of you turned off the road." O-kay, this is going to be one of those nights. I got out of the car so I could be on an even footing with the policeman and I had a pretty good guess what was coming down the pike. Sure enough pretty soon came the "What is this? A phony address?" My partner still behind the wheel got rattled, he's not used to crazy people. So I asked "What's the address?" "The Commons." So I said "Oh! You mean that big historic district in the middle of town? All those old houses around the common? Yeah, they got the same address because it's a historic district." The policeman got real nice and professional all of a sudden.

When you are pulled over, follow instructions but don't volunteer. When asked for permission to search the answer is always no. You know that "right to remain silent" you have after being arrested? You have that right before too.

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 03-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #103

Life is a compromise , if I am asking Leo / military to risk their lives to keep me safe from terrorists , drug smugglers. Etc . I will accommodate a respectful request to search my motorhome .
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #104

We were a senior couple in an RV coming back in the states from Canada. They decided to search, which would be ok but that had us leave and go to a building where we couldn't see what they were doing.. Scary, they could have planted anything. All worked out ok, but don't know why we had to leave our coach
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #105

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Without probable cause the search is not against "policy", it is against the law without a search warrant. Illegal search and siezure. Police have to abide by the laws just as others do.

If the motorhome owner gives consent, then the search is legal. I would not.

Know your rights, a lot of people have fought hard defending them over the past 250 years.

Semper Fi.

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
In Colorado recreational Marijuana is legal. I suspect the police in the surrounding states feel that it is reasonable to assume that people EXITING may be in possession of same.

And in the case of a Motor home... He may have been shopping for his retirement villa on wheels and wanted to check out as many as he can so.....

As someone else said.
For a cop on the street, if he says "May I please search" and you say "YES" then it is legal.

By the way, when crossing a NATIONAL border, If the customs officer says "Pull over so we can search" it is legal, you do NOT have the right to deny or demand a warrant.. HE (or she) has the right to search.

AND... Epically in the case of motor homes...

Some states have Ag Laws.. You may not bring selected products into the state.. Those products are commonly found in motor homes (Fruit and vegetables mostly, firewood as well) and thus a search may be conducted. In some states they have inspection stations on the border (Take I-10 from AZ into CA for an example of one such station)
Went thru that ag station many times, never stopped not even asked if we had any fruits or veggies
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Life is a compromise , if I am asking Leo / military to risk their lives to keep me safe from terrorists , drug smugglers. Etc . I will accommodate a respectful request to search my motorhome .

The problem here is that the LEO's are the terrorists, drug smugglers, etc.
I am not saying all are but if you don't believe it occurs, you need to do some research.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #108

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
My motor home is registered in AZ. Over the past 4 years, I have taken 41 trips in it (trying to get my money's worth). 38 of those trips have been relatively short, all in AZ and Southern or Central CA. I have never been stopped on any of these trips. All 4 stops took place on my 3 vacations to IN. For what it is worth, I am white, clean cut, and dress presentably. I have never had any interest in illegal substances, even in my younger years. My RV is a 2005 33' Fleetwood Class A, in fine condition inside and out.

3 of the 4 stops were on main interstate highways, the one in KS was a little off the beaten path in order see some different scenery on the way home. The officer in KS during his search did tell me that it was a main corridor for drug running, and said that my RV was much nicer than most that he searches. That certainly gave me the hint that he profiles RVs.
The officer on the OK stop questioned me why I would take a 3200 mile round trip vacation by myself.

Always in the back of my mind during these searches, is that one of these commandos would come back out of my bedroom after a search and say "look what I found" in order to get his hero card punched by his superior officer. In one search, I was instructed to remain outside the vehicle, and in the other one, I was told to return to the driver's seat and face forward during the search. I thought I was being paranoid, but someone else brought up the same point in this thread. Whether he/she planted something, or found something from a previous owner of the RV(as also pointed out here), I would be in some trouble, hundreds of miles from home.

It is frustrating to think that I may have to spend my hard earned money on a costly dash cam just to protect myself during the next go-around.
I know what your problem is now. Nicely dressed clean cut that will get you stopped every time. On the other hand I wear blue jeans and some kind of shirt hopefully I picked ones that my fat belly has not pushed the next to the bottom button off. I have a 2005 MH also. I have driven by myself before. When my wife was still working I would drive it to where we wanted to vacation then she would fly out and meet me and we would start our vacation there. No need for her to take vacation time up just to get to the beginning of our siteseeing. I have never been searched. Been through a couple of looking for drunk drivers stops. They asked to see license and registration and that was all.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
I am not saying all are but if you don't believe it occurs, you need to do some reasearch

Ummm.
Naw!
Not an issue for me.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:11 AM   #110

Quote:
I am not saying all are but if you don't believe it occurs, you need to do some research.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
I wasn't going to weigh in on this discussion because after following/reading every single posted response on this subject, I can honestly say there are so many valid and justified opinions from both sides of the issue. However, this caustic, disrespectful opinion piece is offensive to every law enforcement officer on this forum...and there are many of us.

After 20 plus years in law enforcement, I've yet to meet a "Terrorist" officer but the OP was right about one thing...I did actually know of one drug smuggling officer. She was caught and eventually had to resign. She was an excellent cop but she got caught smuggling medication across the border into the US...experimental medication that she bought in a pharmacy in mexico to combat the pain from the pancreatic cancer that eventually killed her. All she wanted was to be able to buy more time to continue being a cop for another month or two.

I won't address the tactics of how officers conduct vehicle searches, it's been bantered about quite a bit with many excellent points being made. I simply want to thank those of you who posted very pointed, yet respectful opinions of law enforcement officers in regards to Motor Home searches.

GA Navigator, if my comments offend you, I apologize. It's just that I've been to countless officer funerals...good officers and none of them were terrorists. These were officers who never got to walk their daughters down the aisle. Never got to witness their newborn's first steps. Worse yet, they'll never get to retire and buy a beautiful motor home to spend more quality time with his/her spouse...a spouse who sat up staring at the clock every night wondering if they've kissed their loved one for the last time when he/she left for work earlier in the evening.

GA Navigator, please choose your words more responsibly.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:33 AM   #111

Quote:

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

Sorry if I offended anyone. Too many beers at the campsite, haha don't drink and post.
I correct myself. Smuggling is probably a stretch.
My thoughts were about how law enforcement has terrorized and or killed innocent people busting into the wrong homes during swat raids,

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #112

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Sorry but my father suffered grave wounds in WWII that eventually led to his death to protect his families life under the Constitution and the laws of this land. LEO's have to obey the laws like every other citizen, no exceptions.