Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2021, 09:12 PM   #1

Coach too Large?

hi everybody with 36 feet or longer coach experience. Please tell me about times the large size has prevented or made difficult something/ somewhere you wanted to go. I'm trying to decide if we should stick with 30 or shorter for tight roads and cities we enjoy navigating or say screw it and go big! We would not want to tow a vehicle in either case, Cheers! Vail
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #2

Well— if no toad then smaller is better. But, having a tow vehicle let’s you explore so many places. It is a pain to go everywhere in your primary RV. Towing is easy once you get use to it. Good luck
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Everything has drawbacks, there is no perfect setup. You give up space for places you might want to go, your choice, but is it worth the difference only you can decide that. We travel anywhere from 19’ long truck camper to over 70’, pusher with a race trailer. We adapt, improvise and overcome if it some place we want to go no matter how we are configured
Old 01-22-2021, 09:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkexpress1 View Post
Well— if no toad then smaller is better. But, having a tow vehicle let’s you explore so many places. It is a pain to go everywhere in your primary RV. Towing is easy once you get use to it. Good luck
thanks! we don't stay anywhere for more than a couple days and it's off to the next place, I like to drive
Old 01-22-2021, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trispeed View Post
I like to drive
My 1st coach is my current 40ft DP...It’s a dream to drive! It took a few upgrades and tweaks to get there but I don’t think you’ll regret going bigger especially if you like to drive!!!
rangerb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:33 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a 38 footer now, with a 45' on order. Since our 38' is gas, the only time I ever had size issues was in fuel stops. Once we learned how to ID stops with sufficient room, stress dropped off.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:53 PM   #7

For years we tented and then transitioned to renting cabins or using an old 1958 Airstream we found in a field. That was 18' long and seemed like a palace compared to a tent.

Our first and only coach is an old 39 foot Tiffin with one super slide. It has served us well but has created minor inconveniences. For instance, when we visited the sheriff in Centre County Pa, I had to park below the steep hill leading up to the station. It cost me three parking spaces with meters $$, but it was doable. I have a CDL, which is something you may want to check with your state DMV relative to the requirements. Over a certain weight or length, it is required.

I don't care to tow, because quite often when we find a place to sleep, I need to back in. For a stay of more than one day we rent from Enterprise, they deliver. We do have a vehicle stored in a garage to use when we go south. I'm thinking about modifying my rear hitch to accommodate my Harley, but that is still in the maybe column. All in all, the huge amount of storage, the power, the air brakes and the living conveniences make those inconveniences seem fairly insignificant.

I will caution you, however, those city streets can be tight, or impassable, for a big rig ie the road to the sheriff station I mention above. Also, you need to watch the weight of bridges which you are liable to run across. With the coming, expected rise in fuel costs, you may find the larger coaches on dealer lots become a bargain.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:30 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
36' coach and Jeep Wrangler toad here. Too big? Well, that's a matter of perspective. We've had about every combo you can imagine over the years. Cars with Tarps and Tents, Trucks and Travel Trailers, Truck Campers with trailers hauling various toys, class c's with trailers and toys, (my least favorite to drive) and class c's solo. And a few tears going naked (motel/hotel camping). I can say without any reservation, the best and easiest driving combo is our 36' DP.
IMHO, the key to any good handling coach is a decent chassis with proper wheelbase and four corner weight distribution with plenty of CCC and towing capacity.
Anything less and the tail wags the dog, no matter what you do.
Don't believe me? Just research F53 and Workhorse handling issues and suspension upgrades. My advice is to test drive as many possible and see for yourself.
Never had an issue finding a place to camp with our 36' either.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:18 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
We full-time in a 40' class A diesel towing and have been able to get into just about anywhere we want to....

We plan ALL our travels using the Allstays app.... One of its features is that it lists the RV size limits for each CG so that allows us to cull those that can't handle our size....

I've already routed our trip to Maine this coming April including all CG's.... (Reservations have already been made)

One determine factor for your RV length should be how you're going to use it - longer trips = longer rig.... I'd never want to full-time in a 36' coach (personal preference - I know folks do)
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:28 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ours is a 38ft DP. Depending on which Jeep we pull, we can be as long as 57ft on travel days. With research, planning and good dose of common sense, we have not had any problems with size when it comes to getting into big box store parking lots, the various state parks or RV parks where we choose to stay. Some will test your skills, but mostly doable. Take your time, access your surroundings, execute.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #11

I have a 40' DP and tow an 18' open trailer with my toad on board. No problems so far, but I let campgrounds know ahead of time when we are on the way.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #12

Extended timers travelling from a couple of weeks+ to up to maybe 4 or 5 months generally in our owned since new 2003 Fleetwood Southwind 36RBKS (37ft). We've never towed and to be honest never ever missed having a towed!

We typically stay a couple of nights/days, occasionally longer if it's a real draw place, and move on picking up our groceries as we travel. I've racked my brains and struggled to think of any time we've felt too big to get into somewhere we've really wanted to. Maybe a handful or less times over the years (Anastasia SP FLA? mid 2000's), and an odd height at a gas station canopy in nowhereville that's prevented us.

Everyone's different in their perspective of what they can and can't live with/do/accept, but that's our take FWIW.

Happy Travels.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Thanks for the good chuckle “screw it and go big!” as it looks like you are a gas only person which maxes out around 38’ (not big in my opinion). During the summer we stay mainly in public CGs that do not take reservations... been doing it that way for 20 years, even last summer which was busier than normal. So my vote is “screw it”.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We bought our current coach in late 2008, its essentially 40' long. Lost my job in early 2009 so we took a trip to AK, put on ~15K miles. We did not tow a car so were limited on where we could go, we still had a great time but then and there I decided to get a toad. Not too long after be got back I bought the toad and never looked back.

For us 40' coach is barely big enough for long periods of time. If I were going to do extensive travel and/or FT I'd be looking at a 45' with tag axle. Screw it, go big!!!!.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote