Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #1

Coach won't start

We own a 2007 Beaver Contessa Coach with a CAT engine. It's been in outdoor storage all winter. I occasionally go start it to let it run to keep everything charged. The most recent time, I was unable to get it started.
When I put the key in the ignition and turn it one click the instrument panel lights come on and go through their cycle of flashing as normal. Once that is done and I go to start it, nothing happens. No click, no noise at all. I've also noticed that the lights that normally come on for the Transmission Shifter Pad do not light up showing what gear the transmission is in. Additionally the Power Gear Pad which shows the airbag mode does not light up like it normally does. I know the batteries are good, I tested them and they read 13.2 V, I've cleaned the posts and terminals, and I know its getting some power from the chassis batteries because I hear a beep when I turn the disconnect with from off to on. Another reason I know there is power from the chassis batteries is the power door look operates when I have the switch on but does not operate when I have the switch turned off. I'm not the mechanical type to start with so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Please ask for any more information that you need to help me resolve this problem. Thank you!
Trige Gleim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #2

If the trans. control doesn't light, it will not start. The neutral safety switch need to be working.

On some MHs there is an inline fuse, in a wire, coming from the chassis battery and going to the transmission control. Cleaning the terminals may have dislodged it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trige Gleim View Post
We own a 2007 Beaver Contessa Coach with a CAT engine. It's been in outdoor storage all winter. I occasionally go start it to let it run to keep everything charged. The most recent time, I was unable to get it started.
When I put the key in the ignition and turn it one click the instrument panel lights come on and go through their cycle of flashing as normal. Once that is done and I go to start it, nothing happens. No click, no noise at all. I've also noticed that the lights that normally come on for the Transmission Shifter Pad do not light up showing what gear the transmission is in. Additionally the Power Gear Pad which shows the airbag mode does not light up like it normally does. I know the batteries are good, I tested them and they read 13.2 V, I've cleaned the posts and terminals, and I know its getting some power from the chassis batteries because I hear a beep when I turn the disconnect with from off to on. Another reason I know there is power from the chassis batteries is the power door look operates when I have the switch on but does not operate when I have the switch turned off. I'm not the mechanical type to start with so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Please ask for any more information that you need to help me resolve this problem. Thank you!

Sounds like you are parked with the main battery switches off and no shore power. Have you tried to start the generator? The transmission is sensitive to low voltage issues. In earlier years Monaco put fuses in the battery compartment for the engine ECM and transmission TCM. Also for solar controller.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If the trans. control doesn't light, it will not start. The neutral safety switch need to be working.

On some MHs there is an inline fuse, in a wire, coming from the chassis battery and going to the transmission control. Cleaning the terminals may have dislodged it.
I'll look into this, thanks!
Old 01-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Sounds like you are parked with the main battery switches off and no shore power. Have you tried to start the generator? The transmission is sensitive to low voltage issues. In earlier years Monaco put fuses in the battery compartment for the engine ECM and transmission TCM. Also for solar controller.
You are correct, our unit is in outdoor storage with no power hookup. The generator runs off the 4 6 volt house batteries, it starts and runs fine. I've got to find some diagrams to help locate things as I'm a novice at this type of stuff. This is our first RV and we've only had it 7 months. I just now joined the Beaver Ambassador Club to seek assistance as they should have specifics for our coach. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:41 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
You may want to try the Battery Boost Switch. Just because there is 13.2V there may not be enough amps to start the engine.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkahn View Post
You may want to try the Battery Boost Switch. Just because there is 13.2V there may not be enough amps to start the engine.
I did try your suggestion but no luck. Thank you.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Did this start after you cleaned the terminals or before. There could be a fused smaller wire on the start side positive terminal. If your not taking the coach out for a drive leave it set all winter, your doing more damage than good as your not bringing the Cat up to temp. The Gen is another story. run with half load an hour or so. Another thought is the shift panel is not getting power from the start key, kind of a common problem.

LEN
Old 01-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are in a cold climate, the engine will require more amps to start. After the wait to start light goes off and you hold down the batt boost switch, do you see or hear lights/buzzers getting more power. If so you may still have low amps. If it's really cold where your at, you may still not have enough amps. Just some suggestions.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Did this start after you cleaned the terminals or before. There could be a fused smaller wire on the start side positive terminal. If your not taking the coach out for a drive leave it set all winter, your doing more damage than good as your not bringing the Cat up to temp. The Gen is another story. run with half load an hour or so. Another thought is the shift panel is not getting power from the start key, kind of a common problem.

LEN
This started after I put the batteries back in the coach after re-charging them. Thanks for the advice, I'm learning the hard way.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
If you are in a cold climate, the engine will require more amps to start. After the wait to start light goes off and you hold down the batt boost switch, do you see or hear lights/buzzers getting more power. If so you may still have low amps. If it's really cold where your at, you may still not have enough amps. Just some suggestions.
There are no lights/buzzers indicating more power when I hold down the switch. The entire panel where the transmission control pad is seems not to be getting power. I appreciate the comment. I'm still searching for the answer.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Excellent glad you got it started. Happy Trails.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Excellent glad you got it started. Happy Trails.
I have not got it started yet. Still trying to find the issue.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh sorry, for some reason I must have read the wrong post.