Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #1

Coaches pulling large enclosed trailers

I know there are a bunch of us out there . I have a 40' phaeton and pull a 28' enclosed trailer. 73' all total. Just pulled into A campground near Rushmore . They have several sites at 90-100 feet long . As I pull to the area with these oversize sites , guess what ? Filled with 20 travel trailers and class C's and one or two fifth wheels which can fit anywhere. What the hell . Are people just that rude or unable to handle the rigs they own. I don't flaunt what I have , but how about we leave the oversize sites for the big boys . Just saying .
harleylip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not their fault. IMO, check with management! I have I when this situation has arisen. Most just shrug their shoulders, hey they have a monopoly!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #3

You can do like a lot of us, unhook your trailer and park it some place. We at time have to unhook our toad we we don't want to to get into a space. Many people just want the extra room and ease of parking.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We seldom get to choose the site were in. The check-in process assigns the sites.

But to answer your question, people aren't rude there just thoughtless, you’re the last thing on their mind when they set up. I know when I do get to choose I pick a level site if it's available. Even though I can do nicely with one not so level because I have jacks. I never consider the fact that a Travel Trailer or Pop Up may be on the way and a unleveled site is a real pain to them. How about you?

Dick

Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

Gonna be getting into this lifestyle next year. I, too, will be long. I plan on pulling a trailer most of the time and I assumed you could reserve a "super site" prior to arrival. Is that not true?
I would have thought the parks would regulate the size of an RV to the site size.

STUFF IN THE GARAGE: F150, ChevyII Pro Street, Roush Mustang
Jus Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

One place we go always seems to have a pop-up or a Class B in the biggest sites. It happens mostly in parks where you pick your own site rather than assigned by the office. They pay the site rent and figure they are entitled to the best site they can find, and it's kind of hard to argue with that. Probably never even think that maybe someone else might actually require that much space, but maybe wouldn't be real sympathetic even if they did.

More frustrating to me is campground office personnel that are oblivious and assign sites without any logic or reason. One place we spend a lot of time at always assigns the next available site in a row to the next customer, regardless of need or amount of open space. If the park is all but empty, they still pack 'em in side by side. Long rigs on short sites, short rigs on long sites, however they arrive. This is a big park and rarely more than 70% full, so no need to crowd people.

On the other hand, there are well-managed parks that always ask customers about size and preferences. How long? Towing? Will you disconnect the tow anyway? Using satellite for tv? Shade or sunlight? You can bet we go back to places like those whenever our itinerary permits.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #7

We are currently "camp hosts" for a small campground in central Illinois. If you call ahead and reserve a spot and tell the campsite how long you are both rig and trailer most of the time they will do their best to accomadate you. In our campground we have only one site that will take a 68' set up so with out a reservation you could only get a 60' site. We assign sites based on what the customer has and any special needs so we do our part as best we can.

The key is to call ahead and make a reservation!!!!!!
guymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #8

When you do start traveling, get yourself a copy of "Big Rigs, Best Bets" The authors travel the country in their Prevost and their publication will detail which sites within a park are best suited for the longer coaches
Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #9

Yup, we always call ahead and check space . This one we are at now , we even drove over a month earlier by car, checked out the place, reserved a required site . Everything was fine. When we returned to check in , the lady present says , we don't save sites . We explained how we came earlier and that lady told us it was reserved. Went to our spit to find a 20 travel trailer on our 100' site. Just a little annoying . And, no one cares ....
harleylip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleylip View Post
I know there are a bunch of us out there . I have a 40' phaeton and pull a 28' enclosed trailer. 73' all total. Just pulled into A campground near Rushmore . They have several sites at 90-100 feet long . As I pull to the area with these oversize sites , guess what ? Filled with 20 travel trailers and class C's and one or two fifth wheels which can fit anywhere. What the hell . Are people just that rude or unable to handle the rigs they own. I don't flaunt what I have , but how about we leave the oversize sites for the big boys . Just saying .
Sounds a little discriminatory to me. Just because a rig can fit anywhere doesn't mean they have to, nor does it mean they are rude or thoughtless. It probably means they either called ahead and reserved the site or arrived early enough to get the site they wanted.

Our favorite campground has excellent large sites, level concrete pads, grass, trees, BBQ's, adjacent to the pool, golf course, restaurant and store and you pay twice as much for them. If you don't reserve one of those sites, you probably won't get one.

We do have one CG here also, only caters to large class A's, no C's, B's, TT's or 5'ver's. They are a little pricey though.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
When you do start traveling, get yourself a copy of "Big Rigs, Best Bets" The authors travel the country in their Prevost and their publication will detail which sites within a park are best suited for the longer coaches
I guess that was directed at me. Thank you. I already got a hold of the thirteenth edition of " Big Rigs, Best Bets". It looks to like I will be using it a lot.

It also looks like I have a lot to learn about campground etiquette or maybe lack thereof. I'm pretty easy going for what i guess to getting close to being agrumpy old man (started collecting SS this year) but I have little patience for "stupid".

STUFF IN THE GARAGE: F150, ChevyII Pro Street, Roush Mustang
Jus Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1st Come 1st Served????
Leave the trailer home?
Most States over 65' is Illegal?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Amen on leaving the trailer home. We pay the same rate for the sites as the "big" boys and we also want the biggest, most level site available. Our money counts just as much
jwyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #14

LV

Toyduck we are moving to Vegas and am looking for a spot to store our 40 ft Monaco we are near Rainbow and the 215. Do you know of any with covered parking

thanks

Jim
jmoffat is offline   Reply With Quote