Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #15

We have a 2004 Dutch star Dp, with a cummins isl. And we have a side radiator. I would highly recommend the side radiator. It makes servicing so easy.
meddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is servicing the radiator the main advantage of having a side radiator? Are there other advantages? We currently have a 2000 National Tradewind with a rear radiator and (knock on wood) have not had any problems.
City Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #17

All years of Country Coach have side radiators. I have yet to use my under the bed access to work on anything. I have changed my alternator and recently changed my electronic fan controller. All work was done from the back.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that AFAIK all (or almost all) Freightliner chassis have rear radiators whereas many (most?) Spartan chassis have side radiators.

FWIW our 2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder with a Cat C-12 has a side radiator.

Our 2001 Dutch Star, Freightliner chassis, Cat engine had side radiator. Love that access to the rear of the engine!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Is servicing the radiator the main advantage of having a side radiator? Are there other advantages? We currently have a 2000 National Tradewind with a rear radiator and (knock on wood) have not had any problems.
With a side radiator, you are libel to have better access to serpentine belt, as well as other any other belts, serpentine belt is a 10 minute change item, less likely for slobber tube to deposit oil vapor on radiator leading to possible clogging of the cooling fins. I like it because it allows me to visually inspect the engine for leaks etc without removing a radiator.

con: many times you lose one of the side storage compartments when you have a side radiator, also, people on the forum had stated that in dusty campgrounds, a side radiator will blow up more dust. I have yet to experience that, but it sounds plausible.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
In general, the entry-level diesels have rear radiators, while the higher-end diesels have side radiators.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I R&R'd my serpentine and AC belt yesterday and it took about 15 minutes..couldn't imagine doing it with a rear radiator.

I wonder why no rear radiator coaches offer a "swinging" radiator. My old BlueBird was a front engine diesel and the radiator "swing out" on hinges like a door. It wasn't as easy as a side radiator in a pusher, you had to swing down the front bumper (it was hinged), remove the front panel (about 10 bolts), then unbolt one side of the radiator, cut zip ties holding hoses, then swing the radiator open like a door (I think it was original called a "dutch door" radiator setup). I wonder if any of the new rear radiator pushers offer this?

This isn't my old BlueBird but if you watch the animation you get the idea:
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...0ANIMATION.GIF

Possibly could be done to a rear radiator DP - just need some fab time.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #22

2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD on a FREIGHTLINER chassis with side radiator.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #23

Side Radiator

My 2005 Endeavor with 400 ISL has the rear radiator. I have not had to change a serpentine belt...........yet. I know when the time comes it will be ugly , I have worked on lots of equipment and the belt looks like a two man job to change. Pulling the bedroom floor boards up and getting all greasy beside the bed is not nice. Some guys [ and gals ] are probably more experienced and can do the change quite efficiently. If you are ready to purchase I would strongly advise to get a unit with side radiator. As other posters have stated, thru experience, you can change your side rad belt in 15 minutes and get yourself going. Also your fuel filters will probably have rear door access that are a breeze to work on compared to being stuffed in side cabinet.
To each his own, but who needs aggravation.
Happy trails
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Side radiator advantages:
Several comments about access for maintenance. Also, cooling is better, there are lots of posts in the site about overheating that support my comment. Related to the other overheating is the rear radiator picks up dirt and dust from the back tires and sucks it right into the radiator. The side radiator is not in the line of fire
Old 11-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had to clean the oil/dirt crud out of the bottom of our rear mounted radiator several times. You can usually tell when it is needed by the engine temperature starting to climb in the summer months. It's always a mess washing that stuff out.
City Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #26

I know why the OP asked this question because when we were deliberating on gas vs DP, we knew that if we went DP we wanted a side Rad too and looking at each one listed is really time consuming. But to answer your question OP....no there isn't such a list. You just have to look, read and over time you'll develop a base knowledge of which ones will fit your criteria + some of the tips that have been given here.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
...One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that AFAIK all (or almost all) Freightliner chassis have rear radiators whereas many (most?) Spartan chassis have side radiators...
I have had both chassis. I think you'll find Spartans mostly on higher end coaches, they have side radiators. Freightliner has chassis on all levels of coaches, entry level with rear radiators, to high end coaches with side radiators.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
So far everyone has given a lot of good reasons for the side radiator. You also have to realize that a side radiator is also more costly. Quite often they are in higher end coaches, but you do have the cost.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator