Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #1

Coachmen Mirada???

Does anyone know anything about Coachmen Rv's?

I thought I would get a DP, but they are so expensive.

A dealer near us has two used Mirada's, 2011's w/10,000 and 15,000 miles for sale. Both are under $70,000.

I just wonder if they were sold because they didn't have enough power or what.

Also, does a deisel engine have anything to do with stopping or do many people have nail biting experiences going up and down the mountains?

Thanks
jemma112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #2

We had an older Mirada. I believe they are considered an entry level coach. We liked ours but it had some major delamination problems. But so does many older rv's. Im not sure about the newer coachman's but the build quality was fair to say the least. Probably doesn't help you a whole lot but its just my 2 cents worth.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi
The most important question to ask is the floor plan right for you?
My class c coachmen has been good to me. Only one issue with the slide out circuit board which was fixed under warranty. I have found the V10 to be a great motor and had no problems climbing the Rockies between Alberta and British Columbia.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2010 Mirada 34BH. We run from the San Francisco Bay area to San Diego area a couple times a year on Highway 5 which has a hill referred to as the "Grapevine." We had a 5th wheel and Dodge Cummins we used for these trips before the motorhome.

1. Power of the V10 is more than adequate. It's no diesel but we can choose our uphill speed.
2. In "Tow" mode, the Ford transmission does a great job in providing engine braking and downhill control is very good. It's much less stressful driving than the diesel/exhaust brake 5th wheel combination.

We're in a gasser based on a combination of original cost and operating costs. We just don't drive the motor home enough to justify the investment in a diesel pusher. And, we love our floor plan for our uses.

We knew we were getting an entry level product and we are delighted with it.
Rbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you want a DP, why not shop for a used one in your price range. Most DPs, even an older one, will have more amenities and higher quality materials and construction than a Mirada.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
There is a reason that DP cost more. All one has to do is drive both of them and it becomes clear. Good used DP's are available for the upper $70's and are quite plentiful.
PM me for more comments.
dantrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #7

I didn't want my comments about the Mirada to offend anyone. I was just giving our experience with the one we had. When we upgraded this year we did look at a 2010 mirada BH. There were other features we liked on the Damon.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a new 2011 Mirada 34 BH in January of this year. For me I wanted something new. I just wasn't interested in a used unit. For what I paid for a new Mirada I would have had to purchase a 10 year old or older DP. Many folks may be fine with an older unit and that's ok. We are all different.

I think it fair to say that as a general rule the more you spend the higher the quality / durability should be. Also how you are going to use the coach should be something you consider. If your going full time you are going to put more wear and tear on a coach than if you are using it for vacation and a few weekends a year. In a full time situation you will need / want more durable materials. Do you need a tile vs linoleum floor. I have read many post on here about tile floors cracking and owners replacing with a good quality linoleum floor.

Also something to consider, the higher the initial cost the greater the depreciation when you decide it's time to move on.

I would say that the Mirada from a price / value perspective is very good. We have had very few problems with the coach. We just got back from a 2,000 mile trip and went up over and around the Smokie Mountains and had plenty of power to spare. Averaged 7.0 MPG pulling the toad and with the tow feature used the brakes very little on the downhill runs.

Just my $0.02 worth.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We too have the 2011 Coachmen Mirada 34BH. For us we were looking for a Bunkhouse and didn't want an older Coach. The floor plan was the most important thing for us. The V-10 has been good on power but, as was stated previously it's not a Diesel. I have been up to NY and back pulling a toad and can't complain about any lack of power. Quality wise we have been in to the dealer to fix some small things but overall we have been happy. All I can say is look and drive them decide which floor plan works for you and if your happy with the power whether it's gas or diesel.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #10

That is alot of miles for a 2011 they might be rental units
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #11

As a new Rv'er, I can say the Coachman Mirada is great value. Wanted a starter A class and purchased a 2007 Mirada. In this price range, I would have got 1999 Bounder or Winni so a newer unit is always a better deal than a name brand to me...

So far, very impressed with the quality....it sisn't take long though to discover a slide out is a "must". I have the 300QB, no slides.... a rookie mistake but thinking about making my 4 person dinette a 2 person...kaboom, slide room, lol

as far a Coachman....would buy a new model any day!
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen