Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I want my coffee, eggs and biscuits well before the end of quiet time..
Perc coffee & fry pan on the gas cooktop, biscuits in the gas oven..
use "wrap" coffee filters for the perc pot..
Have no use for all that yuppie equipment just to make coffee..

(this pic was taken here at the s & b)
Mmmmmm bacon....

The regular basket filters work too, if you run out there is an option and cheaper.

I also made sure that we can use the full coach comfortably with the exception of 4 of the 8 drawers in the kitchen with the slides in.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #16

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Mmmmmm bacon....

The regular basket filters work too, if you run out there is an option and cheaper.

I also made sure that we can use the full coach comfortably with the exception of 4 of the 8 drawers in the kitchen with the slides in.
Yup.. The "wrap" filters are pre-punched for the perc tube...
Only thing blocked by the slide when retracted is the china hutch..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #17

Spartan Chassis
Whether you make coffee with a percolator, a plug-in Mr Coffee, or heat water for a French press, the coach you have listed in your public profile should have plenty of battery reserve to run the microwave or cooktop or outlet for the 3 minutes it would take to heat water for coffee. You'll be able to run the genny to recharge soon enough.

While enjoying your fresh coffee, consider adding or expanding solar and battery capacity so this isn't an ongoing issue for you. I have a 24 year old coach and yes, I still have a gas cooktop but I also have 640 watts of solar and 520aH of old school FLA battery - plenty to watch tv and run the furnace at night and make coffee in the morning.

I suspect your rig has more capability than you realize.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneelock View Post
Whether you make coffee with a percolator, a plug-in Mr Coffee, or heat water for a French press, the coach you have listed in your public profile should have plenty of battery reserve to run the microwave or cooktop or outlet for the 3 minutes it would take to heat water for coffee. You'll be able to run the genny to recharge soon enough.

1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Yup.. The "wrap" filters are pre-punched for the perc tube...
Only thing blocked by the slide when retracted is the china hutch..
I poke my own.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench View Post
Yes please as I sit here at Gros Ventre campground in the generator section at 6 am while it’s 35* outside. I would love a hot steaming cup o Joe! Problem is that the rules state no generators until the crack of 8am......I made coffee last night and put it in the thermos but it tastes like I made coffee last night and put it in the thermos. Our coach does not like the coffee maker running on the batteries. Wondering what everyone else does? We don’t carry propane stoves and the like. Last boonedocking spot in Idaho allowed generators at 6 am. Isn’t 8 am a tad late? After all everyone in this loop signed up for generator use. Perhaps I can troll the power loop with my cup.....Ha!

Who sleeps in until 8 am?
Not Me - As soon as you get cell service order one of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=3400951 - And or - https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Cl...rcolator&psc=1

I have Gas so No Problem if I were there I'd bring you a Cup.

Enjoy the Rockies,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #21

Full disclosure I don't have a RV

So the no generator rule is for noise? How loud are they?

Does that mean no vacuum, radios, or starting cars to drive away? Motor cycles must be out of the question as well.

Understand rules are intended to help everyone enjoy the RV lifestyle. Just trying to follow the logic.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #22

A pour over cone costs about $6 and if you can boil water you can have coffee. Easy to use, easy to clean, light, cheap, and reliable.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't care for instant coffee, either. I use Folger's Singles when camping. They're like ground coffee in a tea bag. use boiling water and takes about 2 minutes to brew. Hills Brothers also makes something similar - have an unopened pack of Hills Bros' in the coach now. Roughing it is getting by with one cup o' joe in the morning!

I have been thinking about getting a SS percolator, both for lazy mornings and evening campfires.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #24

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneelock View Post

While enjoying your fresh coffee, consider adding or expanding solar and battery capacity so this isn't an ongoing issue for you. I have a 24 year old coach and yes, I still have a gas cooktop but I also have 640 watts of solar and 520aH of old school FLA battery - plenty to watch tv and run the furnace at night and make coffee in the morning.

Yes I am well aware of the alternatives..but NO.. It is not an issue...I like it the way it is...and a pristine roof with no holes punched in it.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #25

And no cup of coffee at 8am.

I have a stainless percolator with a riveted wood handle and an older Faberware percolator. It makes a 16oz cup of coffee within minutes. Faster than boiling water on a stove or microwave. It makes a good cup of coffee because it controls the temperature better than on the stove.
https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-2-...ainless-FCP240

If I'm in a hurry and don't want something to have to wash I use this to boil in the microwave and use instant or the bags. Ive made my own bags with those disposable loose leaf tea bags that you fill and drape them over the side of the cup. I avoid the unbleached, they taste nasty. lol
https://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Pro.../dp/B00WX414KQ
Old 09-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Nohurry uses the same approach I do - an Areopress. Great coffee in about 30 seconds after your water boils. Easier to clean and faster than a French press, faster than a pour through.

And I have never been to an Idaho Campground that lets you use generators at 6:00 am. Where was the OP so I can stay away?
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #27

Morning coffee is important,,, VERY important! Normally it's an easy thing to get a hold of because shore power is available. Even so, there have been a few trips when campground power went out and stayed out for most of the day. I make sure to have a back up plan for times when this happens or when we're boondocking.

Plan B is to use the propane stove built into the rig. But then you might ask, what if the propane runs dry? Well, it would be time to move on to plan C, which is to heat water over the campfire with an old pot. But ya never know, what if campfires aren't allowed in the campground we're staying? Well, it's then to plan D, using my trusty magnifying glass and the sun to heat the water. Hmmmm, just occurred to me that there isn't a whole lot of sun out at 6 am. Oh man, time to come up with plan E.

As someone suggested above, a little propane or butane stove would be a good item to keep in an all electric rig.

p.s. Just realized I used the word rig instead of mh. Hope that doesn't cause too much angst.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #28

What happened to the OP? Interested in camping type as 'no propane stove'--tenting?
Gros Ventre CG is north of Jackson, WY--no way would I be there at this time of year w/o a backup coffer plan....
And, there are some electric sites there...find one with an empty 120 plug, no one could possibly deny you the opportunity to get coffee--it's Wyoming, for goodness sake.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote