RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #1

Cold / Heat transfer via windshield while driving

Any suggestions on how to block some of the cold / heat transfer through the windshield while driving?

Obviously it is a huge windshield so on cold or hot days a lot of thermal transfer happens the wrong way leading to a less than comfortable driver. I can't be the only one to encounter this dilemma. Any suggestions?

The dash heat / AC is not working well which is undoubtedly part of my problem. I've wondered about adding a mini split Heat Pump / AC - obviously would need more electrical power. Maybe combine with a battery / solar & residential fridge.

2005 Tiffin Phaeton - 40 feet of fun!
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #2

Run your house AC/s with your generator while driving.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #3

Just my opinion but you can't do much about what the windshield provides. You can do something about the dash HVAC unit if it isn't working properly. There has been a post about adding a mini split up where the TV is and the owner was very happy. You won't be running it with batteries or some solar, but you can run it with he generator. But, there may be a heat pump A/C unit already mounted on your roof you can run with the generator to help alleviate your problem.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #4

I've already spent about $1,200 trying to get the dash AC to work with no improvement.

Running generator for the house AC helps but still quite warm when driving into the sun in summer.

Also quite cold when driving in Temps below 40.

So considering options.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #5

I don't think there is much you can do other than get dash/heat working as previously said.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:16 PM   #6

No, there is nothing you can do about the windshield. HOWEVER! Check the insulation on the firewall and re-inforce it, if you can. Also, take the inside panel off your entry door and add insulation there. You would be surprised how much this would help

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:50 PM   #7

Run the furnaces in cold weather, along with an electric heater powered by the generator. This works to keep our diesel pusher at 72 degrees in the winter. AC doesn’t do quite that well in the summer, however.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:53 AM   #8
US1

The WS would have to be a double pane with an air gap in between.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
The WS would have to be a double pane with an air gap in between.
In the windshield?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
"Any suggestions on how to block some of the cold / heat transfer through the windshield while driving?"

Simple, glue in about 4 inches of foam. TADAA!! No heat or light transfer! You're welcome.

Or you can circulate air to the windshield to eliminate hot or cold spots. DP's have a lot of trouble keeping the cockpit temperate, since the heat of the engine and the cool of the compressor has to travel 40 feet to get to you. I use 2 small 12vdc clip fans to circulate the air and keep the windshield clear. Also, run your dash heat/air on recirc, not bringing in fresh untemperate air from outside.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:06 AM   #11

Our solution was to hang a curtain just behind us. Used little velcro dots to keep the halves together, also made for quick access to the back. Expandable curtain rod and nice matching drapes, $50

Much improved space with what we had to work with, dash heat and dash a/c
Old 01-25-2021, 08:39 AM   #12
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
In the windshield?
Yes. Was just pointing out that in order to eliminate the temp transfer from outside to inside, an air gap would be needed, thus a dual pane. But since we are talking about windshields, gotta live with what we have.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
No, there is nothing you can do about the windshield. HOWEVER! Check the insulation on the firewall and re-inforce it, if you can. Also, take the inside panel off your entry door and add insulation there. You would be surprised how much this would help
Bill
This idea has great potential! We notice how much more effective dash heat & A/C become as soon as we stop moving.

Brief inspection shows firewall insulation scant, stepwell insulation nonexistent.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:08 AM   #14

OP here, appreciate the comments.

Firewall & Door seem ok. Problem is the windshield while moving - at the risk of stating the obvious it is huge and transfers outside temperature quickly.

I'm looking for ideas to block the top quarter to third. Perhaps a strip of Reflectix*2 feet tall along top of windshield. But how to deal with condensation? If I use the same velcro strips that hold the EZ Pass up melting glue should not be a concern.

Tags
heat, wind, windshield