Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2021, 08:30 PM   #1

Cold to hot weather traveling

Looking for the best option when traveling from 30° weather to Miami?
Can I fill up with water before I leave without it freezing? ( I live in Southern Indiana, about 4 hours south I should be above freezing)

If I can't fill up, where would I fill up on the way down to Miami?

Or do I just wait until I get there?

Thank you
Zinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2021, 09:12 PM   #2

It would take a long time a well below freezing to be a problem for the fresh tank. Water lines would freeze before large mass of water in the fresh tank. Not sure about your coach but all your lines and tank should be enclosed in basement area which is probably heated. So keep the furnace on in the coach for that. If not, you can put light bulbs in the wet bay to keep the lines warm overnight if you have access to power. I would wait and fill the day you leave so you just need to keep the water lines warm.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:46 PM   #3

I'm about 80 miles North of you. When we wintered in FL I would de-winterize and fill the fresh water tank the night prior to leaving and run the LP furnace to provide heat to the wet bay and plumbing. i never had a frozen plumbing issue.
I always drove I 65S en-route to FL, my first night we stayed at Northgate RV travel park which is not fancy just a basic overnight FHU site. If I didn't have a chance to de-winterize at home I did so at that bare-bones RV park.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #4

Your water won't be freezing at 30° so as Jthigh said, I wouldn't even be worrying about it ...or even if the temperatures are in the 20's. This is assuming that you'll be living in the coach while underway with the interior and basement being heated. When you're traveling in a very hard freeze, you'd have to take some precautions.

We traveled multiple times in the winter from colder northern areas to the desert SW and never had a problem being on the road as normal or finding water. We'd travel with slightly more or sometimes less than a half tank depending on how long we planned to be on the road so we could use water while underway and it always lasted for several days while we were traveling ...quick showers of course and using public toilets once in awhile. A few times, we even filled the tank to capacity as it always feels good to know you have a full tank but most times we didn't think we needed a full tank and wanted to cut as much weight as possible for some other reasons.

But we'd still pull into RV parks or campgrounds on some of those trips too so we always could replenish water at those times.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:59 AM   #5

Thank you very much for this information. This is our first cold to beautiful Florida sun trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthigh View Post
It would take a long time a well below freezing to be a problem for the fresh tank. Water lines would freeze before large mass of water in the fresh tank. Not sure about your coach but all your lines and tank should be enclosed in basement area which is probably heated. So keep the furnace on in the coach for that. If not, you can put light bulbs in the wet bay to keep the lines warm overnight if you have access to power. I would wait and fill the day you leave so you just need to keep the water lines warm.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:00 AM   #6

Thank you very much for this information. This is our first cold to beautiful Florida sun trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Your water won't be freezing at 30° so as Jthigh said, I wouldn't even be worrying about it ...or even if the temperatures are in the 20's. This is assuming that you'll be living in the coach while underway with the interior and basement being heated. When you're traveling in a very hard freeze, you'd have to take some precautions.

We traveled multiple times in the winter from colder northern areas to the desert SW and never had a problem being on the road as normal or finding water. We'd travel with slightly more or sometimes less than a half tank depending on how long we planned to be on the road so we could use water while underway and it always lasted for several days while we were traveling ...quick showers of course and using public toilets once in awhile. A few times, we even filled the tank to capacity as it always feels good to know you have a full tank but most times we didn't think we needed a full tank and wanted to cut as much weight as possible for some other reasons.

But we'd still pull into RV parks or campgrounds on some of those trips too so we always could replenish water at those times.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I'm about 80 miles North of you. When we wintered in FL I would de-winterize and fill the fresh water tank the night prior to leaving and run the LP furnace to provide heat to the wet bay and plumbing. i never had a frozen plumbing issue.
I always drove I 65S en-route to FL, my first night we stayed at Northgate RV travel park which is not fancy just a basic overnight FHU site. If I didn't have a chance to de-winterize at home I did so at that bare-bones RV park.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:04 AM   #8

We hit 65 in Bowling Green. Then 65 all the way down. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Old 02-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #9

What part of Florida do you go to, pan handle? We are heading down to Miami. I was hoping to hit Atlanta around 8 pm and stop on the south side for the night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnie View Post
Old 02-12-2021, 06:14 AM   #10

We leave Northern Pennsylvania winterized and get to Richmond VA our first day on the way down. I just hook up at the campground and turn on the water.
I add about 30 gallons in my fresh water tank at the campground for the rest of the trip.
So by the the time I drive 8 hours south it's frost free usually.
We did the trip Dec 28th, came back Jan 17th and winterized at home the next day.
Just left my heat on overnight.
I do it every year.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:24 AM   #11

Awesome, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
We leave Northern Pennsylvania winterized and get to Richmond VA our first day on the way down. I just hook up at the campground and turn on the water.
I add about 30 gallons in my fresh water tank at the campground for the rest of the trip.
So by the the time I drive 8 hours south it's frost free usually.
We did the trip Dec 28th, came back Jan 17th and winterized at home the next day.
Just left my heat on overnight.
I do it every year.

Tags
travel