Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #1

Coleman 15 VS Dometic Brisk Air II for 2nd A/C

I couldn't find a good comparison when searching so wanted to see what the communities opinion was. My main ac is a Coleman 15k btu and works well. The Brisk II is lighter, cheaper and has decent reviews online though. Either would be no ducted with no wall thermostat so those features don't factor in.

Can anyone share thoughts, good or bad?
rvquest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvquest1 View Post
I couldn't find a good comparison when searching so wanted to see what the communities opinion was. My main ac is a Coleman 15k btu and works well. The Brisk II is lighter, cheaper and has decent reviews online though. Either would be no ducted with no wall thermostat so those features don't factor in.

Can anyone share thoughts, good or bad?
Just installed this unit as a 3rd AC in my Newmar Dutch Star, Furrion 15,500 BTU. Low amps and puts out a ton of cold air. Here is a link below. Very simple install and it's self contained with controls on the inside air distribution box. And it's very lite for an AC unit, believe 83 lbs.

https://furrion.com/collections/air-...itioner-system

Link to my install but I did add a thermostat as well as some extra's:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/jus...dp-540051.html
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #3

I really like that the furrion is the complete package and the price is great. Some of the reviews are mixed though.

What made you decide to go with that one? How do you think the noise level would be in a small bedroom?

Nice coach btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Just installed this unit as a 3rd AC in my Newmar Dutch Star, Furrion 15,500 BTU. Low amps and puts out a ton of cold air. Here is a link below. Very simple install and it's self contained with controls on the inside air distribution box. And it's very lite for an AC unit, believe 83 lbs.

https://furrion.com/collections/air-...itioner-system

Link to my install but I did add a thermostat as well as some extra's:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/jus...dp-540051.html
Old 07-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I really like that the furrion is the complete package and the price is great. Some of the reviews are mixed though.

What made you decide to go with that one? How do you think the noise level would be in a small bedroom?
If you order that unit in the link, you get all you'll need. Just have to have 120VAC available to where you are mounting it.

Most of the reviews were about shipping issues. Some said that the unit would freeze up as well. If you didn't install it right, making sure that the output and input were sealed from each other extremely well, not difficult to do with what the give you and some extra aluminum duct tape, there should be no issues. Also you can splice into the wires of the temperature sensor and move it out from inside the air in of the unit and put it in the room where space would provide for a better sense of room temperature. My Dometics are ducted within the ceiling so they are quieter then the Furrion which pushes out cold air from the front and back of the distribution box. But I believe it is quieter then the Coleman and BriskII when setup the same way, un-ducted.

Bottom line, I love my Furrion... just don't purchase it from etrailer, very bad packaging and took 45 days before they got me a replacement shroud. Also they never posted my review of the issues I had with them, not very honest about true reviews. Furrion on the other hand, even with me not purchasing directly from them, sent me a replacement shroud, FREE with in 7 days.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
About a year ago we got two brand new Coleman Machs on our old coach. They both died within a week of one another. There was some kind of problem with a batch of them and they were both replaced under warranty. We were far from home and warranty replacements were not handy, so we located a dealer who still had ACs in stock and we bought a Furrion. The Furrion limped us home and ran great. Still does. When we got the replacement Coleman's, we gave the Furrion to friends of ours who were looking to replace one of their ACs and they love it. Noise level and cooling were about the same between the Coleman and the Furrion. We had the Dometics in the past and those were quieter. That was a different coach though and I couldn't say if it was the unit or the coach that made the sound difference. I think they're all pretty good units and think it would come down to availability if I needed one today.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:06 AM   #6

Thanks for all your help! I went ahead and ordered the 14.5 with manual controls. Our bedroom is pretty small and has a good wood door so I think that will be sufficient.

Quote:
If you order that unit in the link, you get all you'll need. Just have to have 120VAC available to where you are mounting it.

Most of the reviews were about shipping issues. Some said that the unit would freeze up as well. If you didn't install it right, making sure that the output and input were sealed from each other extremely well, not difficult to do with what the give you and some extra aluminum duct tape, there should be no issues. Also you can splice into the wires of the temperature sensor and move it out from inside the air in of the unit and put it in the room where space would provide for a better sense of room temperature. My Dometics are ducted within the ceiling so they are quieter then the Furrion which pushes out cold air from the front and back of the distribution box. But I believe it is quieter then the Coleman and BriskII when setup the same way, un-ducted.

Bottom line, I love my Furrion... just don't purchase it from etrailer, very bad packaging and took 45 days before they got me a replacement shroud. Also they never posted my review of the issues I had with them, not very honest about true reviews. Furrion on the other hand, even with me not purchasing directly from them, sent me a replacement shroud, FREE with in 7 days.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:06 AM   #7

Thank you for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
About a year ago we got two brand new Coleman Machs on our old coach. They both died within a week of one another. There was some kind of problem with a batch of them and they were both replaced under warranty. We were far from home and warranty replacements were not handy, so we located a dealer who still had ACs in stock and we bought a Furrion. The Furrion limped us home and ran great. Still does. When we got the replacement Coleman's, we gave the Furrion to friends of ours who were looking to replace one of their ACs and they love it. Noise level and cooling were about the same between the Coleman and the Furrion. We had the Dometics in the past and those were quieter. That was a different coach though and I couldn't say if it was the unit or the coach that made the sound difference. I think they're all pretty good units and think it would come down to availability if I needed one today.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all your help! I went ahead and ordered the 14.5 with manual controls. Our bedroom is pretty small and has a good wood door so I think that will be sufficient.
Well good luck and if you have any questions, just PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #9

Great. Thanks again!

Quote:
Well good luck and if you have any questions, just PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #10

Based on your advice and the reviews about the broken shroud issue I decided to go to camping world and buy one in person. That way I could check in out before taking it home.

Short story, we literally opened up 5 units and the first 4 had broken clips on the shroud. There is no foam or protection in there at all so I am surprised any of them make it hear intact!

Thanks again for giving me the heads up because regardless of where I ordered online, there was a slim chance of it not arriving broken.

Quote:
Old 07-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Based on your advice and the reviews about the broken shroud issue I decided to go to camping world and buy one in person. That way I could check in out before taking it home.

Short story, we literally opened up 5 units and the first 4 had broken clips on the shroud. There is no foam or protection in there at all so I am surprised any of them make it hear intact!

Thanks again for giving me the heads up because regardless of where I ordered online, there was a slim chance of it not arriving broken.
Smart move for sure Now for the fun part. Let us know how you make out with your install. Having a 14,500 BTU for the bedroom is going to freeze you guys out for sure
Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 AM   #12

Does every bit of the old dicor have to be off or just the majority of it to make it smooth?
Old 07-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Does every bit of the old dicor have to be off or just the majority of it to make it smooth?
Best to take it all off. I used a plastic putty knife, alcohol but for the final, a Mr. Clean magic eraser did it with ease. Smooth as silk.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #14

Got it!

Quote:
Best to take it all off. I used a plastic putty knife, alcohol but for the final, a Mr. Clean magic eraser did it with ease. Smooth as silk.

Tags
air, coleman, dometic