Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2022, 09:30 AM   #1

Coleman (Airxcel) Mach 8 # 47024B879 replacement

I have 2012 Holiday Rambler Ambassador with 2 AC's (with heat pump and condensate pump). Unfortunately, the back unit is not cooling anymore and needs to be replaced. The shop tried to order one 5 months ago, but the unit is still on backorder, and I also found out that some customers are already waiting for over 12 months with no end in sight, perhaps Coleman is not manufacturing them anymore. Has anybody replaced a Coleman Mach 8 unit with another comparable and available brand without a lot of changes to the electrical wiring etc. I appreciate any information.
Thank you
Traveler007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #2

Many repair shops are "repair" in name only. They behave like "replacement" shops. What kind of failure do you have? Capacitors are the most common cause of failure and cost around $40 for parts. Replacement is relatively easy. If the fan is making noise or not rotating it may just be an adjustment of the blower on the motor shaft. I know a lot more about repair than replacement so that's the best advice I can give you. Good luck in your search.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:49 AM   #3

If you can get away from the heat pump order try ordering the AC only one.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:09 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'm assuming you had someone look at the unit. There aren't a lot of parts available for the older units anymore, but a hard start kit or capacitor is universal.

If you do have to replace the unit, get on the wait list ASAP, or switch to an AC unit. The AC units are available, and easy to switch over. Heat pumps are just starting to be available, but they are filling the backlog first. One of our units went out a year ago. I got on the wait list last April. Just got the new unit installed in December.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler007 View Post
I have 2012 Holiday Rambler Ambassador with 2 AC's (with heat pump and condensate pump). Unfortunately, the back unit is not cooling anymore and needs to be replaced. The shop tried to order one 5 months ago, but the unit is still on backorder, and I also found out that some customers are already waiting for over 12 months with no end in sight, perhaps Coleman is not manufacturing them anymore. Has anybody replaced a Coleman Mach 8 unit with another comparable and available brand without a lot of changes to the electrical wiring etc. I appreciate any information.
Thank you
AirXcel's Coleman plant is about 2 miles from my office. It's a *really* busy place. They've hired over 200 workers at this location alone.

If the AC-only version is available I'd guess the reversing valve is the part they can't get.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
My front Mach 8 will kick off on high head pressure when the outside temperature gets above 80 to 85 when on Air Conditioner. Heat pump works great. Been on a wait list about 6 months. Looking for a Mach 8 Plus 15K heat pump.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:40 AM   #7

I too had the same issue. Rear mach 8 failed. compressor locked up. I tried to order and waited months before Camping world , Davenport iowa, had 1 in stock. Bought it January 2022 and installed myself. Call around to camping Worlds and you may get lucky. Air excel told me a mach 10 will fit exactly but it is 2 inches taller. I am height restricted so really wanted the mach 8
mschluns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
My front Mach 8 will kick off on high head pressure when the outside temperature gets above 80 to 85 when on Air Conditioner. Heat pump works great. Been on a wait list about 6 months. Looking for a Mach 8 Plus 15K heat pump.
That sounds like an airflow problem. Check the foam seals and outside coil.

Tags
ace, air, coleman, replace, replacement