RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Coleman Mach Squirrel Cage Repair

I have a 2014 Tiffin 33AA and had the coach in my driveway cleaning it after a trip this last weekend and when I went to turn on the forward A/C I noticed a sound which sounded like someone sticking something in a fan.
It turned out to be the squirrel cage had cracked and was rubbing on the inner housing. This component is the common failure for these models according to the service tech I spoke at Lazy days and they happened to have a few replacement cages in stock. So I drove down and picked up 2 new ones and replaced each one in both of my A/C units. The replacement process was a difficulty of 1 on a 1-10 scale so anyone who is remotely skilled with a screw driver can complete this task. The center mounting on the new cages needed to be filed down a bit to fit on the shaft but that was easily done with a small file. I was able to complete the replacement in both units in about 30 minutes. Now that I know this component is a common failure for this unit, I kept the good cage I removed as an emergency back up in case this happens on a sunny day while camping in the boon docks. Better safe than sorry.
Rusty33611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Coleman Mach make a few different modes. Which one do you have?

Coleman Mach - Where's My Model Number | Airxcel
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:33 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My model no is: 47074A897.

The model number is found on the inner housing under the low profile, Black Plastic cover you see over the unit. There are 4 torque screws that hold it in place. Relatively easy to remove once on the roof of the coach.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #4

The new ones are redesigned from the originals. Your lucky it didn't come apart and go thru something you may need. Been there.
PRO-BILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:06 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was very lucky that is was only a crack on the side and I caught it immediately when I fired the unit up. It's nice when things go your way! It was an easy repair and now i have a backup incase this happens again in the future.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:55 AM   #6

That's why I said the new ones are made different. Be Careful of you using your "backup".
PRO-BILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think you have a standard height Mach unit (Mach 15?). The question is whether or not you have one motor or two. In the two motor versions, you have one driving the condenser fan and one driving the squirrel cage evaporator fan. Older models use one motor driving both.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, coleman, repair