Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Commercial Drivers licence To Drive A Class A Motor Home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
The other joys of a CDL is a usual doubling of points in a violation and the biggy, the assumption that you, as a commercial driver, will have more responsibility in an accident because you should be better able to avoid the accident.

All of which actually seems pretty reasonable if I’m honest.

This by the way from the POV of someone that not only holds the equivalent of your CDL and but has also been involved in sentencing for traffic offences.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 07:07 AM   #30

They are required in California. But not in Utah, Nevada or Arizona unless your Motorhome has air brakes.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:38 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
There is a Non-CDL also which covers you for the weight class you are driving, ex. class A or B Non - CDL, this requires testing but no medical.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here in BC Canada, all you need is an ordinary class 5 D/L for any size motorhome, and an air brake endorsement if it has air brakes (a 2 day course with written and practical exam)

RV trailers over 4500kg or roughly 10,000 lbs require a house trailer any weight endorsement without air brakes.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #33
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Here's a listing of states that do, that don't, that require something different...

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Check the laws in your state for info about what is needed.
Wow! Here we go again.

txcpl said it best. Check the regulations for your state. It is the only one that counts.

Regarding Domo's post. Do not believe anything you see on any website other than your own DMV web site.

Example: on the web site provide by Domo the Texas information is wrong. A class A is required if the combined weight is over 26,000 pounds AND the towed/trailer weight is over 10,000 pounds.

If the towed weight is below 10,000 pounds and the vehicle towing it is >26,000 pounds a class B is required.

Point is, don't believe threads that think they know it all.

Here is another web site and they only have 4 states listed as needing to have a CDL (and then there may be conditions.) Changing Gears web site. Someone from those states can pipe in and tell us what the real requirements are.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #34

Guess that is the benefit and sometime bane of having a CDL A with all the endorsements on it. Also motorcycle on it. If it can be driven down a road, I am licensed for it. To be honest, I just never bothered to look at which states play all the little games with licensing for the average person and RV's.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinterior View Post
Here in BC Canada, all you need is an ordinary class 5 D/L for any size motorhome, and an air brake endorsement if it has air brakes (a 2 day course with written and practical exam)

RV trailers over 4500kg or roughly 10,000 lbs require a house trailer any weight endorsement without air brakes.
Same in Ontario Canada. Z endorsement required on license for air brakes. Two day course
Old 11-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Special License for Motorhomes

In researching a possible move to South Carolina, I found that above 18K, you need to take an exam and get a special license.
Happy Travels!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #37

Nor'easters Club
New York & Texas require new license over 26K pounds. New York an RV endorsement, Texas a non-commercial CDL...
Old 11-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I just noticed the same thing. Looks like there is a gap not covered in the IA DL descriptions posted online for non-commercial vehicles weighing >26,000#
If you're operating a motorhome for private use in Iowa, you DO NOT need to have a commercial (CDL) license.

Please see paragraph 4 of https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/321.176A.pdf
Old 11-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #39

You not only don't NEED a CDL to drive an RV, you don't WANT one. CDL licensed drivers are held to a different standard than civilians in the event of a summons or an accident. Stick with your regular driver's license - I know of zero states that require a CDL for an RV. When I was a boater I had the sea time and knowledge to get a USCG Captain's license, but since I had no commercial use for it I bowed to the same advice - admiralty courts hold licensed captains to a higher standard than pleasure boaters so I didn't get one. Peter
Old 11-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
In researching a possible move to South Carolina, I found that above 18K, you need to take an exam and get a special license.
Happy Travels!
Nope. Read South Carolina Code of Laws, Title 56, Chapter 1, Article 1, Section 56-1-2070, (C), (4). It states: (C) The following persons may operate commercial motor vehicles without a commercial driver license: (4) operators of recreational vehicles used solely for personal use.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
North Carolina requires a non commercial class B for over 26K and can tow up to 10K. Non commercial means you do not need to qualify medically. Also must pass air brake portion during the test. hope this helps -different states do things differently.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
Nope. Read South Carolina Code of Laws, Title 56, Chapter 1, Article 1, Section 56-1-2070, (C), (4). It states: (C) The following persons may operate commercial motor vehicles without a commercial driver license: (4) operators of recreational vehicles used solely for personal use.
We must have read different sites.
Closed Thread

Tags
class a, driver