RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #15

I would add American Coach to your prospect list.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Before you finalize any purchase, I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.

Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Last year we bought our 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire DP and went through that same deal. Buy the best you can find and deal with what you can. The first important thing was new tires. Easy to do. Things come up (we haven't had anything serious yet) but if you bought a good coach from someone you trust, be ready to deal with it. I am a hands on guy and all of the issues I have had so far are normal maintenance and elective upgrades. Don't let the fear of the unknown deter you. If you are not hands on, set aside some bucks to deal with it. It is worth it!

Put aside 10% to do what is needed and get all the "things" you need like a TPMS, first maintenance, a ladder, tires, hoses, Coach-net account, tools, GPS, storage bins, etc.

This is spot on!! Buy the best you can afford and don't be afraid to fix stuff yourself. It's how you learn your coach.
offtosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were originally looking for a DP in the same vintage as you, but after looking at several, we realized I could get the same quality in a gasser for significantly less dollars. And more important, maintenance on an F53 is a lot cheaper than a DP, and I'm familiar with the F53, but a knob on the diesels.

We bought a 1999 Southwind, the build quality is excellent, with high end components, quality and workmanship.

I went through the mechanicals and got all the F53 chassis maintenance up to date and the TSB complied with.

We went on a 10 day, 1500 mile shakedown cruise and identified several other things that needed to be looked at. This is a list of stuff that we repaired in order to get it up to date.

• Rear exterior compartment cover repaired (PO hit something, minor damage to cover and trim
  • Controller board for Dometic frig
  • Windshield wiper assembly bracket broke ( re-welded)
  • Awning roll-up reel repaired
  • BCC isolation solenoid replaced (wouldn't charge coach batteries when engine running
  • Rebuild a "non-rebuildable" leveler
  • replaced bearing in leveler hydraulic pump
  • fixed bedroom day/night shades
  • recovered bedroom shade valances
  • repaired gray tank drain pipe (cracked when frozen)
  • two new front tires
  • Installed two LCD TVs
  • upgraded interior lights to LEDs
  • upgraded B&W rear camera and monitor to color
  • Replaced Microwave oven
  • repaired stove vent and fan
  • repaired numerous interior switches
I'm in the process of getting it ready for a new paint job

Painting 1999 Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright1 View Post
Newmar, Tiffin, Holiday Rambler, Monaco, or anything else
Do you just wait till things break down?
I didn't see Foretravel in your list. You need to add that.

Wait till things break? Ah that would be NO!

That's why we do PM.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #20

Picked up a 1993 Allegro Bay 32' last year. Replaced all fluids (transmission , antifreeze ,oil , brake fluid ,power steering & rear diff oil ). Also replaced house & starting batteries , cleaned all connections & replaced some battery cables. Removed the generator cleaned & serviced it as well as a load test. Fuel & air filters were replaced. Replaced sway bar bushings ,bell cranks & tie rod ends. Installed new front springs & air bags.New shocks all around.Universal joints were replaced. Repaired dash AC. Spent lots of time cleaning up old wiring & tying down cables & hoses. Cleaned & lubed power stairs . Lubed hydraulic jacks.
All lights were replaced with LED's . Added lights to storage areas.
Cleaned heating ducts ,refrigerator , hot water tank, furnace & air conditioner coils & filters.
Replaced tires.
The interior was in real nice shape so it was given a thorough cleaning & shampooing.
Lots of work, but now I know the maintenance is done & have a new starting point.
Soppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Picked up a 1993 Allegro Bay 32' last year. Replaced all fluids (transmission , antifreeze ,oil , brake fluid ,power steering & rear diff oil ). Also replaced house & starting batteries , cleaned all connections & replaced some battery cables. Removed the generator cleaned & serviced it as well as a load test. Fuel & air filters were replaced. Replaced sway bar bushings ,bell cranks & tie rod ends. Installed new front springs & air bags.New shocks all around.Universal joints were replaced. Repaired dash AC. Spent lots of time cleaning up old wiring & tying down cables & hoses. Cleaned & lubed power stairs . Lubed hydraulic jacks.
All lights were replaced with LED's . Added lights to storage areas.
Cleaned heating ducts ,refrigerator , hot water tank, furnace & air conditioner coils & filters.
Replaced tires.
The interior was in real nice shape so it was given a thorough cleaning & shampooing.
Lots of work, but now I know the maintenance is done & have a new starting point.

Sounds about what I'll do when we find the right one. I've looked at 4 now in the past 2 weeks 2 out of the 4 where in the shape I'd like but out of budget. I know why would I even look at them! Just comparing!
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems