Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
When backing up my new Class A - 2018 Georgetown 31L5 I can hear my wife talking from the back to me but she does not hear me. I have a mike in the cab of the MH and would expect that it would be two way communication but she cannot hear me at all. I've tried the speakers in every configuration but no luck. The MH is heading back to the dealer this week to fix a list of issues and this is on the list but I make it a point to always try to know how things work and as usual there's no books or manuals with any info that I can locate on this subject. Am I correct in assume this is a two way communication when backing up?
Thxs
Doubt you can speak to your DW behind the Coach - but check with the Dealer to confirm.

On backing up - IMHO - let the DW fix you and adult beverage while you back up the Coach.

Get out of the seat - access the situation - use mirrors - back up - if you are in doubt - get out of the seat and re-access the situation - back up - repeat till you get it right.

Takes blame out of the formula - and gets you a nice cool refreshing drink when you are finished. Do not start with the Drink till you are FINISHED.......

This is after 50 years of trying every method out there - this works for me. ...

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Don't need walkie-talkies, cell phones or two way microphones/speakers.

All you need is a travel partner or an educated RVer on the proper use of hand signals.

The following method is a fail-safe one that is simple and understandable in any language.

Hand Signals for Backing Your RV

Make sure to click on the Video button at the top right of the web page to view the actual use of hand signals while backing.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Wives have trouble with this type of communication, making them understand they need to stay sited in the mirror can be a daunting task walkie talkies work better.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #17

The "microphone " you have is most likely the CB radio control and will not tie into you speakers.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Doubt you can speak to your DW behind the Coach - but check with the Dealer to confirm.

On backing up - IMHO - let the DW fix you and adult beverage while you back up the Coach.

Get out of the seat - access the situation - use mirrors - back up - if you are in doubt - get out of the seat and re-access the situation - back up - repeat till you get it right.

Takes blame out of the formula - and gets you a nice cool refreshing drink when you are finished. Do not start with the Drink till you are FINISHED.......

This is after 50 years of trying every method out there - this works for me. ...

Best of Luck,
And NEVER let the guy from down the road aways help
Old 06-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Late DW was never any help backing in so I just did it myself, now that she's gone I still do it myself.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #20

I've given up on my DW's hand signals. And, she won't ever understand if I can't see her, I don't see her signals. Tried walkies, too, didn't work. We have a classic failure to communicate. Going to try cell phones next. Maybe a different DW!
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
I've given up on my DW's hand signals. And, she won't ever understand if I can't see her, I don't see her signals. Tried walkies, too, didn't work. We have a classic failure to communicate. Going to try cell phones next. Maybe a different DW!
Think about that last one - DW might get the Coach. ......

............ ...
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use a pair of inexpensive walkitalkies in conjunction with hand signals. Works very well for us.

Often we camp where there is no cell phone coverage.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #23

My wife is pretty good .... and invaluable when watching for tree limbs and objects that are either above or below my line of vision.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Our home park requires us to be 18" away from our deck for awning clearance and so our wooden steps fit. Years ago we adopted using two way radios with a bit of a twist.

For all of our tight or tricky back in sites I have my wife drive while I am outside on the radio. I know exactly where I want the motor home to end up so I give her verbal directions ie forward, reverse, and also wheel inputs, 1/4 left, 1/2 right, full left, 1 right etc to position the motor home in the exact spot I want. She just listens and if she is unsure about a command she stops and we communicate via the radios. Even with a tight back in spot with inches clearance we can get it accomplished with one try.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Our home park requires us to be 18" away from our deck for awning clearance and so our wooden steps fit. Years ago we adopted using two way radios with a bit of a twist.

For all of our tight or tricky back in sites I have my wife drive while I am outside on the radio. I know exactly where I want the motor home to end up so I give her verbal directions ie forward, reverse, and also wheel inputs, 1/4 left, 1/2 right, full left, 1 right etc to position the motor home in the exact spot I want. She just listens and if she is unsure about a command she stops and we communicate via the radios. Even with a tight back in spot with inches clearance we can get it accomplished with one try.
Sounds like a very good team to me!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My coach does not have rear speakers. I can hear my DW but she can't hear me.
As a former pilot used to hand signals I showed her what they were and she caught on quickly. She also knows how to clear me, so for us it's easy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:29 AM   #27

Sounds great, but what do you do when:

Wife says backup

I say it looks awfully close from here are you sure?

Wife says yes.

I back up a little more slowly.

Wife says backup more

I ask again if she is sure, it looks like I am already too far back.

Wife says something about being sure, and she knows what she is doing.

I back up about 6 inches and hear a crunch.

Over the last 15 or so years backing trailers, trucks, etc. this has been repeated 3 times.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Sounds great, but what do you do when:

Wife says backup

I say it looks awfully close from here are you sure?

Wife says yes.

I back up a little more slowly.

Wife says backup more

I ask again if she is sure, it looks like I am already too far back.

Wife says something about being sure, and she knows what she is doing.

I back up about 6 inches and hear a crunch.

Over the last 15 or so years backing trailers, trucks, etc. this has been repeated 3 times.
Having someone guide you back can be a help. However you are the person behind the controls and should be in control.
If I am in doubt I get out and assess the situation for myself.
The only one I fully trust to guide me if I need guiding is my son. We have an uncanny ability to work together. We understand each other's signals as we back equipment etc. all the time here at home.
The only thing Marc won't help me back up is a tractor with a baler attached and a hay wagon hooked behind the baler. I can't even get him to try this and he says he has no idea how I do it and he would be no help if he tried to guide me back.
Lynn

Tags
cat