Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Communicating when backing up MH

When backing up my new Class A - 2018 Georgetown 31L5 I can hear my wife talking from the back to me but she does not hear me. I have a mike in the cab of the MH and would expect that it would be two way communication but she cannot hear me at all. I've tried the speakers in every configuration but no luck. The MH is heading back to the dealer this week to fix a list of issues and this is on the list but I make it a point to always try to know how things work and as usual there's no books or manuals with any info that I can locate on this subject. Am I correct in assume this is a two way communication when backing up?
Thxs
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 05:38 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
cell phones
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:39 AM   #3

We use small walkie talkies.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:44 AM   #4

Put your cell phone on speaker phone mode. I have a suction mount for my phone which leaves my hands free but still able to talk to my wife. She does most of the talking!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Don't need walkie-talkies, cell phones or two way microphones/speakers.

All you need is a travel partner or an educated RVer on the proper use of hand signals.

The following method is a fail-safe one that is simple and understandable in any language.

Hand Signals for Backing Your RV

Make sure to click on the Video button at the top right of the web page to view the actual use of hand signals while backing.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:53 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

We tried cellphones for a couple parking escapades, but it was not as successful as you would think.

We have found that simple hand signals work the best. Of course, my co-pilot has her own set of hand signals, so it might take you some time to understand those I've found it much easier to understand her signals than to try and tech her new ones.

After backing in a couple times, all will be smooth....
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #7
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Don't need walkie-talkies, cell phones or two way microphones/speakers.

All you need is a travel partner or an educated RVer on the proper use of hand signals.

The following method is a fail-safe one that is simple and understandable in any language.

Hand Signals for Backing Your RV

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2X

I only take directions from DW. others nearby maybe offering suggestions but unless I hear them scream emergency I don't listen . If I can't see her I stop.
If we don't agree based on what I'm seeing in my mirrors we stop. And then we talk if necessary I'll get out and walk it with her. WBut she isvery good at guiding me and I'm fortunate for that.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post

" Am I correct in assume this is a two way communication when backing up?
Thxs"

I don't think anyone answered this question .... I don't know. My RV has no rear speaker .... and I never owned an RV with a rear speaker.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 AM   #9

Yes, the system is only set up for one way communication. I have the volume on mine turned off as the sound of the Diesel engine drowns out anything my wife would have to say anyway.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
Yes, the system is only set up for one way communication. I have the volume on mine turned off as the sound of the Diesel engine drowns out anything my wife would have to say anyway.

I may need that feature ... Uh Oh .... did I say that outloud ?
Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Absolutely cel phones...we have used them for years. BUT practice and understand each other on hand signals and voiceless communication for that time when you have no signal! And NEVER move the MH or TT if you cannot see each other! Walkie Talkies work with practice, but you have to be very careful not to have one party key-down. Saw that happen at a park, man keyed down, wife kept screaming stop, he back over a water spigot, electric box and the concrete bumper.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
2X

I only take directions from DW. others nearby maybe offering suggestions but unless I hear them scream emergency I don't listen . If I can't see her I stop.
If we don't agree based on what I'm seeing in my mirrors we stop. And then we talk if necessary I'll get out and walk it with her. WBut she isvery good at guiding me and I'm fortunate for that.
I agree with you COMPLETELY on this! I only listen to my wife's directions and if I can't see her I stop too. Like you, my wife is good at giving directions, she'll ask where I want to be and then give good guidance to get me there! Love my wife and her directions!!!
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #13

I currently do not have a MH, but that changing soon, regardless of that i do the following, all of which translates no matter what you drive

Always have a look at the place I am about to reverse into, either as you pull past or stop and jump out. This usually highlights things you can point out to your partner to pay particular attention too

Only take instructions from one person

Where possible always maintain eye contact, if I loose this I stop

Agree on what signals you are going to use, voice/hand. If using the radio/mobiles, I make sure the person outside knows they are in charge and are in control of the radio. So many people try and talk over each other, end result you don't hear a thing

The above is particularly important when trying to avoid a disaster. People sometimes tend to panic in the face of this

Thats just the way I do it, and I am glad I can finally add something useful to the site
jasondxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #14

Our back up camera provides only incoming sound and that works fine for us. My wife can speak in a normal tone to help with guidance when needed. She knows what to look for (obstructions, where door ends up, tree limbs,, etc,,) so she doesn't normally need to hear anything from me.

Tags
cat