Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #1

Compatibility between Oasis and carring propane for BBQ

I have always carried propane (either small cylinders or a smallish refillable tank) for outside camp stove and BBQ. BUT, by new rig has an Oasis system in the storage area. The Oasis has a nice, bright, flame powered by diesel. Seems to me that might be a problem should the propane container leak and concentrate propane inside the storage bay. (can you say "Boom").

I understand that the oasis has its own external air intake and also its own exhaust to the outside, so there might not be a problem, but still.....

What do you folks with Oasis and similar systems do re. carrying propane????
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #2

MN Traveler,

I hope your are not planning on using the Oasis compartment as a strorage site for propane tanks Not a good idea to put anything else in there.

I think you would be safe to store propane securely in a compartment for storage.

Propane is denser than air an will sink so if it does leak it will drop out of the compartment. If you are concerned and it is probably a good idea to place a propane alarm in the compartment.

And my last thought would be aren't all diesel water heaters flames enclosed? guess I have never watched my Hydrohot at night with the compartment open,

Stay Safe,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #3

My AquaHot is in the front bay on the left side, my propane bottles are in a right side bay behind the rear wheels that has no connection to any storage bays. They would be better in the inverter bay that is vented to the outside.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I carry the propane in the toad.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post
MN Traveler,

I hope your are not planning on using the Oasis compartment as a strorage site for propane tanks Not a good idea to put anything else in there.

I think you would be safe to store propane securely in a compartment for storage.

And my last thought would be aren't all diesel water heaters flames enclosed? guess I have never watched my Hydrohot at night with the compartment open,

Stay Safe,
greg
Unfortunately, I only have one big storage compartment, and the Oasis occupies one part of that. a partition between, but still continuous. Yes, the Oasis flame appears to be enclosed - the oasis system has its own air intake direct from the outside, and of course the exhaust to the outside. I just dont really like the idea of a flame in such potential close postion to potential propane vapors.

Two potential "isolated" locations I could locate propane tanks are the electrical/fuse compartment in the very front left of the rig, or the wet bay, which is isolated from the storage (which has the oasis), AND it has a small drain hole which would allow any leaked propane to sink though and exit. They are only big enough for the small single use canisters though and not my refillable 1 gallon tank (at least I do not think so - i'll need to check)

A propane alarm is a REALLY good idea...
Old 05-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I carry the propane in the toad.
I've thought about carrying it in the toad. I might need to resort to that...
Old 05-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #7

Carrying in toad could be a problem if closed up and in hot Wx. Inside car temps can get pretty high.
I carried 1 lb cylinders in my shallow bay opposite wet bay. Built shelves and store spray cany of lube, window cleaners etc in the "pegboard" bay
Also just finished a storage box in the DEF bay that is open to the atmosphere.
I also bought a pack of the sealed caps for propane cylinders which add a level of safety.
https://www.amazon.com/propane-Outdo...a-661978604788
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #8

Iíve gotten really used to my refillable I gal tank ... much less expensive than disposable cylinders. I think I need to take a close look at the wet bay available space...
Old 05-02-2021, 07:41 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I carry an 11 pound tank in the front bay on the passenger side. It sits in a bucket. My coach is the same as yours and that bay is open to the pass thru bay and the 3/4 Oasis bay. I don't see it as an issue. It hasn't been for 8 years. If it blows, it's on the wife's side!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I carry an 11 pound tank in the front bay on the passenger side. It sits in a bucket. My coach is the same as yours and that bay is open to the pass thru bay and the 3/4 Oasis bay. I don't see it as an issue. It hasn't been for 8 years. If it blows, it's on the wife's side!

OMG. Lol. Thanks don. Do you think a gas sensor makes any sense at all?

Btw, my coach has a refrigerator/freezer in that compartment. My wife and I just today agreed we will remove that thing (which we will never use) in lieu of the storage space . Tools, spare fluids, etc to go there. Perhaps also a propane tank :-)
Old 05-03-2021, 05:40 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I carry my propane tank in a bin with holes drilled in the bottom carried on a hitch mounted tray on the toad. If it leaks, it’s not contained.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:45 AM   #12

I would not carry propane in the same compartment.
My Horizon is all electric wit a 450D Aqua Hot.
Winne put a 20lb propane tank in the compartment up by the driver's window for convenience with a nice quick connect on the passenger side for a grill.
The propane compartment is 2 compartments away from the
Aqua Hot. Between is a double passthru
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
OMG. Lol. Thanks don. Do you think a gas sensor makes any sense at all?

Btw, my coach has a refrigerator/freezer in that compartment. My wife and I just today agreed we will remove that thing (which we will never use) in lieu of the storage space . Tools, spare fluids, etc to go there. Perhaps also a propane tank :-)
That freezer is valuable, so you might want to put it up for sale. I would also leave the slide tray it sits on in place. Very handy to have a tray there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
That freezer is valuable, so you might want to put it up for sale. I would also leave the slide tray it sits on in place. Very handy to have a tray there.

The tray I was planning on keeping. Did not think about trying to sell the freezer. Thx. Not something we would use, but I guess there is a market?

Tags
propane