Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #15

The AC units are designed to cool the air around it ( Inside the RV ) 20 degrees. Don't let it get to 110 inside otherwise you will only get down to 90 degrees. They cool inside air, not any air from outside.

Set the thermostat to 74 degrees. If that seems chilly, go a bit higher.

It will cycle on and off unless the inside air gets above 75 degrees. Then it may run full time. That's how they work and it will not overheat from running steady.

While in south Florida last spring, my AC ran steady all day and only cycled on and off at night. I set it at 74 degrees and during the day the inside temp would get up to 80 degrees. It ran steady until it dropped back down to 74.

Shading the windows goes a long way in keeping cool.

I still think you are experiencing low voltage. That will happen throughout the park on real hot days because everybody has all of their ACs on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Starting capacitor, low voltage, or low freon.
Capacitors are cheap and usually easy to replace (for an average DIYer). If I camped in the desert I would carry a couple of spares. You do not need manufacturer specific replacements and larger will not hurt as long as they physically fit in the space. Some AC units place the start and run capacitors in the same housing. Replacing this with two separate capacitors is acceptable (again given space; zip ties are your friend !).

Some AC units now have additional "sensors" built in and will not start the compressor if the "high side" is too high (after a short cycle) or the "low side"is too low (lack of refrigerant).
Old 09-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #17

The key to keeping your RV cool is never let it get hot inside in the first place. Remember, not only do you have to cool the air inside, you also have to cool the walls, furniture and everything else as those solid things radiate heat back into the air until temperatures are equalized.

RVs parked in high heat, especially in the sun slowly lose the battle as the day wears on and only recover towards nightfall when temps drop and the sun fades.

High energy to low energy. Hot flows to cool. One of the laws of thermodynamics.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #18

I live in Phoenix. My a/c units will cool the coach down to 78 degrees easily. If starting at 100 degrees plus it will take several hours to do this. This is in a '99 Winnie 35' with 2 a/c units. Front is a year old 13,500 btu, rear is a 20 year old 11,500 btu.
We have been in Michigan since late June and in the 90 degree temps we had here we only ran the front unit down to 76 degrees.
We do boondock at local lakes when it is over 100 degrees at times and we normally start the generator when the coach reaches 85 degrees and it only take a half hour or so to get down to the 70s.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioning, compressor