Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Compressor for air conditioning took along time to kick on today

We are in the desert and went to turn air on after turning it off last night took over an hour for compressor to kick on is this normal if temps are over 100 its a 13,500 air conditioner
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
just curious
Old 09-03-2019, 04:25 PM   #3

Sounds like a long time to me, I would start with thermostat.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #4

To long. T-stat is a great place to start. Some electronics that are involved. If able may be worthwhile pulling the cover and with a meter try to see if the compressor is attempting to start
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #5

If the fan starts circulating air and the compressor does not come on then the T-stat should be fine. This sounds more like a compressor start capacitor.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #6

If on shore power did you check the incoming voltage ?

If the voltage is low, the compressor will not start. The thermal switch will keep shutting it down.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #7

Starting capacitor, low voltage, or low freon. If you have a second air conditioner you might swap capacitors to see if the problem follows the capacitor.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Yes the fan does come on at thermostat, but the compressor takes along time over an hour. Went on and off today a few times each time it took another hour to kick back on. So im guessing its not the thermostat.I swapped to a different pedestal for shore power to see if that changed anything still took a long time to kick on ,about an hour.
I have a guy coming tomorrow which ius about 200 just for a diagnosis any idea what he should be looking for
Old 09-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Compressor worked all night got it down to 68 in here outside is 83 now.I will go up as the day gets hotter.I just hoping they figure it out because as soon as I turn off air the compressor wont kick on again for a long time,But I need them to figure out whats wrong
Old 09-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #10

Worked AC systems for 30 years offshore. If you have someone coming that’s great. If it were me checking it I would go up, pull the cover and put an amp /voltage meter on it to determine whats happenings. Unless the system has been opened up in the past I doubt there will be a port to check the freon. It sounds like the compressor is trying so a amp/voltage meter should tell a technician what’s going on. The amps/voltage when it attempts to start is the key information. Almost all have a delay start on the compressor but it shouldn’t be more then 1 to 2 minutes at the most, I have 3 each 13+ year old units and all are under 1 minute . There is a start/run capacitor and a relay that shifts it from start to run windings in the compressor. Hope this makes sense and helps.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #11

So why do you turn it off at all. ???

Set the thermostat and let it do what its designed to do.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
So why do you turn it off at all. ???

Set the thermostat and let it do what its designed to do.
Your right I was foolish about trying to rest the air from hard work all day in this heat
Buy the way what do most people set their thermostat at take in mind its 110 here
Old 09-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
Your right I was foolish about trying to rest the air from hard work all day in this heat

Buy the way what do most people set their thermostat at take in mind its 110 here
At 110, I would relocate. Seriously though, the a/c is only expected to create a 20 degree differential from the ambient temperature. If you set the thermostat to an unrealistically low level, then the unit will run constantly and overheat.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
20 degrees below expected high.

Is a start point.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioning, compressor