Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
On many RVs the main battery switch does not turn off the inverter/charger. If the inverter us left on, it will draw down your house batteries.
Our Magnum PSW 2812 that we've had for 6 years has been like our breathing in our bodies; don't think about it, don't adjust it, don't mess with it....it just works. SP, sure, genset, sure, driving, sure......up until it sat outside for a week and we noticed that it doesn't charge anymore while engine is running.

We also noticed that a bunch of current is being sucked out of the 4 house batteries during a 5-day period, even when the house battery selector is OFF.

Ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 03:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Our Magnum PSW 2812 that we've had for 6 years has been like our breathing in our bodies; don't think about it, don't adjust it, don't mess with it....it just works. SP, sure, genset, sure, driving, sure......up until it sat outside for a week and we noticed that it doesn't charge anymore while engine is running.

We also noticed that a bunch of current is being sucked out of the 4 house batteries during a 5-day period, even when the house battery selector is OFF.

Ideas?
Not charging with engine running is bad isolation solenoid, very common issue.

Its also the same solenoid used for the boost switch, so cycling the boost switch, while listening for it, is how to locate it.

As far as dead house batteries, Is this the first time you stored without shore power ?

I checked the specs and your inverter/charger draws 30 watts or about 2.5 amps if left on. That's 60 AH a day. 5 days and your 4 batteries are dead.

There should be a inverter off button, on the control panel.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:07 AM   #17

Quote:

Ideas?
IMHO I think your inverters are still on and drawing power from your house batteries.

Good advise on this thread from everyone.

When we first got our bus I had to keep it outside until I could get power run into my building. My PO emphatically stated to turn off the battery disconnect outside. It cuts all power off the bus. So that's what we did and had no issues.

BIRD, isolator relay, connection issues, or bad batteries. Since the batteries are only 6 months old that should not be the issue.

Keep us update on your fix. Good thread.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

As others have noted, there is "stuff" that runs in the background that you probably don't even realize. Some of it even with the battery disconnect in the Off position.

Also, this Eagle has a Magnum 2812, which is NOT OEM equipment for a 2003 American Coach. I believe the original was a Heart Source Manager II, which combined the ATS, inverter/charger/converter and some power management relays all in one unit. Since the original component has been replaced, it's possible the system has been modified with a new inverter/charger and probably a new ATS, it may have been modded in other ways.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #19

Quote:

Its also the same solenoid used for the boost switch, so cycling the boost switch, while listening for it, is how to locate it.

As far as dead house batteries, Is this the first time you stored without shore power ?

I checked the specs and your inverter/charger draws 30 watts or about 2.5 amps if left on. That's 60 AH a day. 5 days and your 4 batteries are dead.

There should be a inverter off button, on the control panel.
Yes, this is the first time it's been without SP, and we've never turned it off, so I'll go there tomorrow, charge up the batteries again, and turn the inverter OFF when I leave. It doesn't make sense to me that the inverter would draw power when it isn't doing any inverting, but I'll feel it and if it's warm, that answers the question. thanks for the education.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
As others have noted, there is "stuff" that runs in the background that you probably don't even realize. Some of it even with the battery disconnect in the Off position.

Also, this Eagle has a Magnum 2812, which is NOT OEM equipment for a 2003 American Coach. I believe the original was a Heart Source Manager II, which combined the ATS, inverter/charger/converter and some power management relays all in one unit. Since the original component has been replaced, it's possible the system has been modified with a new inverter/charger and probably a new ATS, it may have been modded in other ways.
The OEM unit died and couldn't be repaired, so the repair center installed the Magnum. What else went with it isn't known to me; I just wanted to get as good or better as a replacement. I'm going to go with twinboat and others about turning the unit Off when not on SP, and Monday will tell us whether the voltage stayed about the same with the inverter Off.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #21

Quote:
That's not what a Echo charger does. It only charges the chassis battery from the house battery, If the house battery is being charged by its charger.

You will still have a isolator or isolation solenoid for chassis to house charging.
How does the house battery charge while driving, if the generator is not running? I thought the echo charger would act in reverse and charge house battery once chassis battery was up to proper level.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
How does the house battery charge while driving, if the generator is not running? I thought the echo charger would act in reverse and charge house battery once chassis battery was up to proper level.
The echo charger only handle 15 amps, not enough to keep a working house bank fully charged.

You either have a diode isolator that takes the alternator output and splits it between the chassis and house battery OR a voltage sensing control that operates a large current solenoid.

The large current solenoid is connected to the chassis battery on one side and the house battery on the other.
The logic controler closes the solenoid to interconnect both battery banks, letting them charge together. Its like an automatic jumper cable.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #23

Quote:

Rain or not this morning, I'm heading to the coach to try to find that solenoid, and have a couple of questions:
1. Given the connections, I would guess that it's very close to the batteries, but
2. If it's part of the boost process, could it be around the dashboard instead?
3. If I find it, is this a generic thing that can be bought at an auto parts store, or are they specific as far as voltage or internals?
Old 12-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Rain or not this morning, I'm heading to the coach to try to find that solenoid, and have a couple of questions:
1. Given the connections, I would guess that it's very close to the batteries, but
2. If it's part of the boost process, could it be around the dashboard instead?
3. If I find it, is this a generic thing that can be bought at an auto parts store, or are they specific as far as voltage or internals?
OK, all is well, the solenoid is in the engine compartment directly below the hatch cover, and I'll call Spartan to see whether it is 100A or 200A.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #25

You may have two solenoids with battery cables connected to them, each in a different part of the coach. The "salesman switch" operates one and another is for battery isolation. They usually are not extremely expensive if you did change both. Not a bad idea for preventative maintenance. They take a lot of high current connect/disconnect abuse.

I replaced the isolation relay in my gas Miramar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully your solenoid will have a legible name plate to help you find the correct replacement.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
The Echo Charger has a specific input connection and a specific output connection. The logic is not symmetrical/bidirectional. It monitors voltage on both sides, but only charges in one direction. The manual provides a clear explanation.

As noted by others, one of a couple of other devices provides capability to charge the house batteries from the chassis system when the engine is running. In the case of my Country Coach, that device is a switch rated for 200 amps, actuated by engine oil pressure.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #27

Mine charges everything in my all electric MH.
Winnebago made sure by putting a 240 amp alternator in this 450 ISL Cummins MH.
I think it’s the same one they put in the 600 Cummins
It’s interesting that the Winnebago Horizon 42Q has the 240 amp alternator and the 40 A has a 160amp alternator. I don’t know why they skimped on the 40A. It has all the same systems and 3 AC, Sam fridge, same aqua hot, same fireplace, same dishwasher and washer & dryer.
I know when I start driving my batteries are fully charged in a very short time. It’s amazing.
Much different than my 2007 had with the 160 amp alternator.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #28

Quote:
The echo charger only handle 15 amps, not enough to keep a working house bank fully charged.

You either have a diode isolator that takes the alternator output and splits it between the chassis and house battery OR a voltage sensing control that operates a large current solenoid.

The large current solenoid is connected to the chassis battery on one side and the house battery on the other.
The logic controler closes the solenoid to interconnect both battery banks, letting them charge together. Its like an automatic jumper cable.
Thank you for that explanation Twinboat.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote