RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #1

Confused about air suspension dumping...

2000 Winnebago, Ultimate advantage freight liner chassis....

If I run the motor, airbags fill as they should... goes to 120psi on both tanks...

1-2 hours later, with no intervention from me, large whooshing sound occurs and front air bags empty. Rear, stay inflated...even a week later, still inflated...

I do not use or touch the leveling controls as Iím parked at home on level ground...

Is that supposed to happen? Why is the front suddenly emptying?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 08:03 PM   #2

Thats not normal, it sounds like the front air suspension dump solenoid valve is activating for some reason.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:08 AM   #3

Hopefully this doesn’t happen while you’re driving!
I empty mine when parked to both lower the coach and to prevent uneven condition if one leaks a little more than another.
Dennis
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #4

Air leveling or jacks?
Old 09-20-2020, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
2000 Winnebago, Ultimate advantage freight liner chassis....

If I run the motor, airbags fill as they should... goes to 120psi on both tanks...

1-2 hours later, with no intervention from me, large whooshing sound occurs and front air bags empty. Rear, stay inflated...even a week later, still inflated...

I do not use or touch the leveling controls as Iím parked at home on level ground...

Is that supposed to happen? Why is the front suddenly emptying?
No Sir,
It's not supposed to happen. In a perfect world, you'd have ZERO leaks in your air system and therefore, you'd have no front air bags self depleting in a give time frequency. There are some folks on here that claim they have next to no air leaks and their coaches retain almost full pressure for weeks at a time, without starting the engine. Well, good for them. But, for the rest of us normal folks, WE HAVE AIR LEAKS! It's tough to chase them all down but, it's doable, if one has patience. I've chased mine down a few times and found a couple small ones here and there and tightened them up or fixed what was ailing.

But, mine still leaks down. If I park it at full pressure of 120, 24 hours later, it will be at or near 80 psi. I don't like air leaks, never have, never will. But, I'm not gonna loose any sleep over them. Someday, when I'm completely bored out of my mind,(I've got projects lined up 'till June of 3020) I might get around to trying to locate them or it.

But, the first thing I'd do if I was you is, get a trusty spray bottle with about 25% dish soap and the rest water and, run that engine 'till there's 120 in the air system and, shut things down. Then, watch out for the safety police here, make sure that thing's not gonna try and roll away or move in any way, then, get under it and start spraying every single air fitting/line/joint/connection/valve that you can find/get to/see/feel/ and more. Maybe, just maybe, you'll get lucky and find the problem. Good luck and please post if you've found it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #6

Ok...odd update...

Ran it again, parked...

Front air bags are barely inflated.

In the rear, about 6 inches between the tire and body, 1 inch in front. Rear bags clearly inflated...fronts are debatable... now this rv is new to me, so it maybe set up this way?

Anyone have a picture of what the air circuits on a winnebego on a freightliner chassis looks like?

I assume the front and rear are independent? Both air tanks register full and hold pressure well enough... goes from 120psi to 70 psi in about 24 hours

Rv has jacks, not air leveling...
Old 09-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Ok...odd update...

Ran it again, parked...

Front air bags are barely inflated.

In the rear, about 6 inches between the tire and body, 1 inch in front. Rear bags clearly inflated...fronts are debatable... now this rv is new to me, so it maybe set up this way?

Anyone have a picture of what the air circuits on a winnebego on a freightliner chassis looks like?

I assume the front and rear are independent? Both air tanks register full and hold pressure well enough... goes from 120psi to 70 psi in about 24 hours

Rv has jacks, not air leveling...
In air suspended coaches, your gonna have what's called "ride height sensors". Freightliner played games for a few years in the fact that, there's typically three ride height sensors on the coach. Some years, there's two in the back, and one in the front. Other years, Freightliner reversed that with two in front, one in the rear, who knows. But, in any case, those ride height sensors are what control the ride height of your coach, by limiting the amount of air that is used to inflate the bags.

They (the sensors) are typically between the axle and the frame with a lever that travels up and down to tell the sensor just where the coach is riding. If the coach is loaded up more than normal, and starts to sag, the ride height sensors see that and, compensate by allowing more air to the bags, to raise the coach, to the proper ride height. If you remove weight from the coach, and it's now wanting to ride higher than normal, then the sensors see that and, they let air out. See how it works?b And, those ride height sensors are adjustable. But, it should be done by a qualified tech who's got a perfectly level floor and knows how to do it and, this is important, the specs are not the same for all air ride coaches!!!!!!!

But, there are occasions when a sensor can go bad. It is not likely that ALL THREE went bad at the same time but, who knows. But, it's a place to start. Good luck,.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
Thats not normal, it sounds like the front air suspension dump solenoid valve is activating for some reason.
I agree. On my Spartan chassis the dump valve is near the rear axle. Freightliner??
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #9

Thanks guy, itís a freight liner...

Will crawl under the RV and look for leaks...

I see the ride levelers...

The rubber grommets on them are disintegrating, but still in place...

Tried to source the grommets, but canít find them... any ideas where to get these?

I could disconnect one of the air leveler push rods and move up and down, making sure it works...
Old 09-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has an air suspension that leaks down when parked. It doesn't really hurt anything but I just hate having to listen to that alarm go off until it airs back up when I start it the next time we're going to go somewhere!!!
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks guy, it’s a freight liner...

Will crawl under the RV and look for leaks...

I see the ride levelers...

The rubber grommets on them are disintegrating, but still in place...

Tried to source the grommets, but can’t find them... any ideas where to get these?

I could disconnect one of the air leveler push rods and move up and down, making sure it works...
DO NOT GET UNDERNEATH WITHOUT BLOCKING UNDER THE FRAME!
Some years ago in N. Indiana an RV technician did-without blocking. Later in the day his co-workers missed him. They found him suffocated/dead under a MH.
The only source of new rubber rod ends is to buy a new rod kit at a truck stop.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I agree. On my Spartan chassis the dump valve is near the rear axle. Freightliner??
My front solenoid is on right front of coach below the A/C Evap, rear is In compartment just behind left rear wheel.

have someone dump air, should be easy to locate them.
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:08 PM   #13

The only way to know for sure is to crawl under (safest way is to make some ramps) after it's aired up and spray soapy water on ride height valves and don't forget the moisture ejectors on the bottom of the air tanks. I could stand beside my coach and hear it leaking - here is what I found when spraying soapy water

I replaced the driver side ejector and a month later the passenger one did the same thing.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #14

Napa auto parts handle the about 20 bucks each
red300zx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, fuse, suspension