Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2022, 03:28 PM   #1

Confused about residential fridge and msw inverter

We have a 2000 Winnebago ultimate advantage. Replacing the norcold.

Lots of threads suggesting you need a pure sine wave $$$ inverter. Others don’t use it, no issues.

We plug in a college fridge and runs perfectly.

So why wouldn’t a slightly larger fridge work?

Specifically, looking at a Hisense 17.2 CF fridge $699 at Costco.

Wanted a Samsung RF 18, but those are $1600+.

We use the rv about 3-4 weeks a year.

Any input on the Hisense? I know, Samsung is better. Samsung has wifi, fancy electronics, etc. We don’t need any of that. And it’s $1000 or so less…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #2

That Hisense model is very energy efficient. It is Energy Star rated and uses 454 kWhr annually which is about half an amp at 120V AC on average or about 5 amps DC into the inverter. If you don't need an ice maker, then it might be a good deal.

Do you have the battery capacity and recharging capability to run it?

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I think the issue isn’t will they run , it’s how long as the power isn’t clean and I think causes them to “burn up” faster. You takes your chances. I think your choice is fine , there’s a few counter depth 10-14 cu ft that also fit the no cold 1200 space with room to spare and are using only a kw a day. The biggest issue I found was no ice maker.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:58 PM   #4

We just installed a small residential fridge (10.1) to replace Norcold. We went with a dedicated 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter complete with cables that cost $265. It’s a hassle to install and remove fridge. The cost of a decent psw inverter without other features like transfer switch and charger represents less than two hours labor at most rv repair shops. Consider it insurance and peace of mind. Every expert recommends psw for a residential fridge.
Realmccoy270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's all about the refer electronics. Some refers don't play well with MSW inverters. The Samsungs converted the 110 power to 12-volt power internally and is why they worked well with MSW.

Odds are that the new refer may work with the MSW, it's just nowadays, it's easier/cheaper for manufacturers to install PSW inverters and not deal with any issues.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:03 PM   #6

I reckon you’d need to contact the manufacturer regarding using a MSW inverter to provide AC to their refrigerator. They are designed for residential installations where grid power is available. We’ve had to jettison some seemingly simple items like fans that had electronic speed controls, while attempting to operate them on a MSW inverter. That power source may not play well with some circuitry in a modern residential refrigerator.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #7

Well, we bought it. 2 year warranty included, extra 3 years on top of that was $99

So, if it lasts at least 5 years were fine with that.

We primarily only camp with full hookups. Inverter only comes into play while driving. 750watts solar should be more than enough to keep batteries topped off even with out generator or AC charging.

The size of this thing is almost exactly the same as the Samsung RF 18. It lacks the expensive electronics, which is a plus.

If I were full timing, I’d go Samsung. But that’s a huge price delta…
Old 06-25-2022, 04:07 PM   #8

I have operated a Frigidaire 20? cf refrigerator on a MS Inverter for the past 3 years. I bought a no frills, non electronic model. MS Inverters are odd, in that some things work and some things burn out! We had one Crockpot worked beautifully on it, when we replaced it it simply went POOF! electric floor heaters are a no go in my experience. Electric blankets are also a no go unless you get one specially made for inverters.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #9

Ok, silly question…

The power put out by the generator is pure sine wave correct?

So, driving or parked, as long as the generator is on, power bypasses the inverter, correct?

Same when plugged it. So, the msw inverter only comes into play when unhooked and generator is off? Right?
Old 06-25-2022, 04:22 PM   #10

Quite possibly, all correct. Another consideration is that you may or may not have an inverter powered outlet behind your refrigerator.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Ok, silly question…

So, driving or parked, as long as the generator is on, power bypasses the inverter, correct?

Same when plugged it. So, the msw inverter only comes into play when unhooked and generator is off? Right?
Correct, correct, correct.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:36 PM   #12

When we installed the Samsung RF 18 in a previous coach, that it did not require PSW.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #13
ptl

I just put that fridge in my 2008 Winnebago Journey, nice fridge. I did have to remove a shelf above the fridge to get it to fit. It was taller than the Norcold 1200 that was in there. The hardest part was getting the old fridge of the motorhome and the new fridge in the motorhome, because neither would fir through the door. I was lucky though because I did not have to take any windows out. The big window in our bedroom was big enough where all I had to do was open the window all the way and slide the old fridge out into the bed of my truck I had backed up to the motorhome and then slide the new fridge in.
ptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:08 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Ok, silly question…

Just something to clarify.....some manufacturers, like Monaco, put a duplex outlet in the refrigerator compartment. Half of that outlet was connected strictly to shore power and the generator. The other half of that outlet was connected to the inverter. The Norcold 1200 had two 110 volt plugs, one was for the refer and one was for the ice maker. The refer plugged into the outlet that was shore power and generator. The ice maker plugged into the outlet that was inverted. The reason for this, was to power the ice maker in the Norcold when boondocking. So.....if there is a duplex outlet behind your refer, make sure which outlet you're plugged into.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, fuse, inverter