Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Gary:

Today I weighted our new coach (2013 Thor Palazzo) for the first time in preparation of our first long trip to upper Michigan.
Steer Axle: 6960 (GAWR 10,500)
Drive Axle: 15,520 (GAWR 17,500)
Gross Weight 22,480 (GVWR 26,000)
GCWR 30,000

The chart behind the driver’s seat says to inflate front and rear to 120 PSI (the dealership delivered the MH to me with all tires inflated to 120 PSI per this chart).

I have Goodyear G670 RV 255/70R 22.5 16 ply installed. The Goodyear booklet provided has an inflation range of 80 PSI (S 4190 lbs/D 3970 lbs) to 120 PSI (S 5510 lbs/D 5070 lbs) and like others; I am confused as to what pressure to inflate my tires?

Referencing the steer axle as an example 6960 divided by 2 = 3480 and as you can see this is well below the 4190 @80 PSI minimum on the Goodyear chart.

If I understand it correctly I should divide the drive axle weight by 4 or 3880 per tire. Again nowhere near anything on the chart. I do not think I should be running 120 PSI all around like the way it was delivered but I do not think I should be running 80 PSI (the minimum) either?

Your opinion as to what pressure I should run would be appreciated! Other than a harder ride what would be the problem running the 120 PSI the way it was delivered and what is listed on the chart behind the driver’s seat?

Thanks in advance for you opinion!
You should be running the minimum PSI Goodyear allows, which is 80 psi. Actually, I would run 80 psi front, and 85 - 90 psi rear to decrease rolling resistance and just so I would never have to worry about more weight on one side or the other..

You DID weight the coach loaded and ready to go, correct? If not, you would need to add that weight in and adjust the PSI up accordingly.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
You should be running the minimum PSI Goodyear allows, which is 80 psi. Actually, I would run 80 psi front, and 85 - 90 psi rear to decrease rolling resistance and just so I would never have to worry about more weight on one side or the other..

You DID weight the coach loaded and ready to go, correct? If not, you would need to add that weight in and adjust the PSI up accordingly.
Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, it was basically loaded for travel with 95% full fuel tank, half full water, and empty holding tanks. We may add a couple hundred pounds for food and last minute things but as light as we are I do not see this as a problem.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I was surprised you were so light.. Dont forget the weight of people
Old 07-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #18

Quote:
I was surprised you were so light.. Dont forget the weight of people
No but my DW and I only add 360 lbs and my DW will not allow me to tell how this is split.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
LOL!

Why, 260 and 100, of course

However, that makes the front weight 7,300
Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #20

Quote:
LOL!

Why, 260 and 100, of course

However, that makes the front weight 7,300
Yep! you got the split right!

Even at 7300 lbs (divided by 2 = 3650) it is still below the minimum Goodyear chart weight of 4190 @ 80 psi.