RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #1

Considering a 96 Pace Arrow Vision

I had to switch gears as to what I wanted. I kept showing up to buy Holiday Ramblers from individuals only to find that they lied about the functionality of the vehicles when I got there. I am looking at buying a 1996 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision from a dealer here in Georgia. I like the layout and it has the Ford engine that I am more comfortable with. The price is $8499. Supposedly it has been checked out and is all operational. What is the overall consensus on the older Fleetwoods?
EricM1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #2

I have a 97 pace arrow 30e. Love the layout. While I haven't had it long and haven't been out too much, I do like it. It seems well made and solid. I've been doing lots of work to update it and seems to be well built to me. Just make sure that no leaks and nothing rotten. Some pieces are very hard to find so make sure those are good, ie bathtubs, body panels, and such.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:51 AM   #3

Eric, I also have a 96 pace arrow vision. it is a 35W, ford 460 v-8. So far, loving it. Been going thru the whole thing, learning how everything is supposed to work. If this is coming from a dealer, FORCE THEM TO DEMONSTRATE THAT EVERYTHING IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL. a=And if something does not work, find out on your own what it will cost to repair or replace. Tell more about this one please
Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #4

I found with some vehicles dealers can have a more realistic view on value than owners. Also everyone says to look/buy fall to winter. I saw way more deals from individuals in spring that may have thought they would take a beating in the fall winter. If three times as many just a better chance of finding good unit a decent price. Facebook marketplace has deals. Unless someone hacked FB account ,not as many Craiglist scammers .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
98 PA Vision here, mine has the first year V10. These were the top of the line model at that time. It's been a good solid coach with few problems in the 6 years we've had it.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:11 PM   #6

The Pace Arrow Vision was the upscale model from the standard Pace Arrow.

In general Fleetwood was making excellent products during this era.

With that said, any coach can be abuse, neglected, or had deferred service. Have that coach inspected top to bottom, and consider getting a third party inspection by a qualified RV inspector.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #7

We had a PA Vision that we bought new. It was on a Chevy chassis with the 454 engine and a tag axle. We had a Banks system added to it before we picked it up. It was a great layout and ultra smooth with the tag. It was our last gas coach before we went to DP's.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I owned a '96 Southwind 36, the sister Fleetwood model to the PA Vision. Ford 460 V8 and E4OD tranny with a tag axle plus full Banks performance package. Lovely coach and about as good as a gas-powered coach got back then.

Rv dealers always claim they have (or will) fully checked out their used units but typically that doesn't mean much more than somebody walked through and tried a few switches. Make sure YOU see/hear/use everything actually working and not just a light blink on. Fridge cools, furnace heats, a/c chills, water gets hot, generator runs and produces power, etc.

$5000-$10,000 is the price range for a functional older coach, depending on condition.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #9

I know this is a yr old post but just letting you know I just bought a 1999 Pace Arrow Vision. It's 36' long with 2 slide outs. Only 19,000 miles on it and in great shape. It has the Ford chassis. V10 415 cu in. Runs great but I could have used more HP. It has the Banks air system on it. Should have been turbo charged but that's the way it came. Had a few issues with bedroom slide out getting stuck, a generator with a clogged carb, light bulbs out, loose 12 volt fuses, and a weak water pump. I removed the old B&W back up monitor and camera and installed a new HD color system. Gas mileage is what it is for a big bus like this. About 4 to 8 mph depending on hills. The ride is smooth but you still get that big truck ride on the bumps. You can feel the road cracks. And the springs are light so it sways back and forth on country roads. Not a vehicle to drive over 55. Deer can be a real hazard. So I drive it like an old lady. All in all its a nice Class A for its age. Made very well.
Technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoid View Post
I know this is a yr old post but just letting you know I just bought a 1999 Pace Arrow Vision. It's 36' long with 2 slide outs. Only 19,000 miles on it and in great shape. It has the Ford chassis. V10 415 cu in. Runs great but I could have used more HP. It has the Banks air system on it. Should have been turbo charged but that's the way it came. Had a few issues with bedroom slide out getting stuck, a generator with a clogged carb, light bulbs out, loose 12 volt fuses, and a weak water pump. I removed the old B&W back up monitor and camera and installed a new HD color system. Gas mileage is what it is for a big bus like this. About 4 to 8 mph depending on hills. The ride is smooth but you still get that big truck ride on the bumps. You can feel the road cracks. And the springs are light so it sways back and forth on country roads. Not a vehicle to drive over 55. Deer can be a real hazard. So I drive it like an old lady. All in all its a nice Class A for its age. Made very well.
Check your rear sway bar bushing. The are world famous for wearing out and falling out.
This guy has good stuff.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F53-Cl...0AAMXQhuVROBxO

Richard
Old 09-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #11

We bought a 35' Cruise Master on the 99 Ford V-10 chassis and owned it for 14 years, 12 of them it was our only home. We loved it but ride and handling began to decline so I had air bags added and it made a tremendous improvement.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoid View Post
I believe your rig qualifies for the CHF. Check out the Ford forum for CHF and follow the directions, it will make a world of difference in swaying in the wind, and over bumps etc.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:16 AM   #13

HarryStone, what is CHF?
Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:46 AM   #14

I can't find what your talking about on the Ford forum? What is CHF??
Technoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pace arrow, ace, vision