Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #15

I would look at other brands other than Thor. Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago are good choices. Others have given you great advice to consider before you purchase any motor home.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #16

Have a look at the Forest River FR3. King bed, large shower, & all models are under 34'.

Jeff
Old 12-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
I often wonder what is it the buyer wants in a MH that is not found in a TT/5th wheel.
Let me try.

(We owned a 30' TT towed by a 3500 series ( 1 ton) conversion van.) Pull into campsite. Placed wood blocks under power jack stand, unhitched, including struggling with removal of torsion bars. Ran power jackstand and leveled TT front to back while DW called out bubble level position from open door of TT. Placed pads and leveling boards, if needed, under stabilizer jacks. Get out cordless drill and screw down stabilizer jacks. Checked level inside TT. Minor adjusted side-to-side level with another go at jacks (yeah, I know that is not the proper way. You gonna hook up again to place another board under right/left wheels?). Now you can hook up electric, water, and maybe sewer. Manually pull out steps. Extend slide-outs. Stabilize flimsy steps and place stabilizers under flimsy slide-outs. Pop a cold one. You take two swigs before DW tells you that you need to take a shower. Of course, there is no hot water yet, but that's ok; you can contemplate doing all this in reverse tomorrow while the water is heating up. Can't wait to hear the motor scream going up that 7% grade tomorrow. Oh yeah, almost forgot about the wind. Why am I exhausted after only 6 hours behind the wheel?

Now with MH: Unhitch your toad (approx 5 min). Pull MH into CG site.
Press a few buttons on your HWH hydraulic leveling pad. Coach is now level. Power step is activated. Connect power, water, and maybe sewer. Deploy slides. Pop a cold one and slowly drain it while recalling how good it felt the day you sold the TT.

Well, ok, maybe I slanted the experience a bit. Jus' sayin.' YMMV
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:56 PM   #18

Our reason for a MH vs. TT or 5th wheel was access to bathroom, fridge, sink and table. Kids need a snack or drink? Grab something from fridge. Bathroom break, it's on board. Eating your snack? Go ahead and sit at the table (side with seat belts only)

So for us, having kids, it was all about convenience while on the road.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:45 AM   #19

A lot of great input in this thread. Jeff's post, along with the pre-buy checklist available in the Files section will help you avoid a lot of post-purchase headaches.
PropFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:15 AM   #20

Quote:
I hope you saved that in Word so you can just copy and paste it every time this question comes up. They are excellent points
I did.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:35 AM   #21

I don't think anyone addressed your fear/concern about "driving something this big".

I know it seems intimidating but it's not as bad as your imagination may think it is. I thought the same thing....man this thing is HUGE. We ended up buying our MH near Dallas and we lived in Houston. Nearly 300 miles facing me in a 36' MH to get home. Oh sure, I had test drove a few MH's while looking for nearly 3 months before we found this baby, but nothing like 300 miles with all sorts of mixed traffic. Prior to closing, I had already planned my route home and chose roads that would take most of my trip through rural areas and back roads but still had about 50 - 75 miles or so of your typical freeway driving woven into it. That was unavoidable. My wife & I drove up to close on the deal in her car, she followed me all the way home. It went without a hitch and by the time I got to Houston I was like...hey that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. So trust me, in the size/range you're thinking about it will be a piece of cake. Don't forget about Youtube. There are some really good video's out there that will not only show you how to drive a MH but will help you understand the dynamics and things to watch for. It's not a substitute for good ol' experience, but it will equip your mind with some knowledge and will quicken your senses for things to watch for.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:47 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I hope you saved that in Word so you can just copy and paste it every time this question comes up. They are excellent points.

Motor Homes are sexy. Most issues around them are exponentially (vs arithmetically) different vs a TT and TV.

With a MH you have a TT and TV jammed into one. Then there is the toad. So you have 3 systems to deal with.

I often wonder what is it the buyer wants in a MH that is not found in a TT/5th wheel.
Access to the house while driving of course. 1) bathroom, 2) food, 3) maps, computers, etc. Of course you can get 2&3 in a towing truck, but DH likes to drive without stopping so #1 is priceless.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:38 AM   #23

I would look at other manufacturers besides Thor.
dcdavisnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad View Post
Our reason for a MH vs. TT or 5th wheel was access to bathroom, fridge, sink and table. Kids need a snack or drink? Grab something from fridge. Bathroom break, it's on board. Eating your snack? Go ahead and sit at the table (side with seat belts only)

So for us, having kids, it was all about convenience while on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Access to the house while driving of course. 1) bathroom, 2) food, 3) maps, computers, etc. Of course you can get 2&3 in a towing truck, but DH likes to drive without stopping so #1 is priceless.
My how America has changed. Those that crossed the USA in Calistoga Wagon had to shoot, clean and cook their 'snacks'. Need to go to the bathroom ... jump off take care of business and then catch up.

Those that drove across country in the 60s/70s who had to take care of business ... learn to hold it until the next gas station. Want a snack ... eat this sandwich I made earlier. Don't like it ... don't eat.

We can send a man to the moon in diapers but ...
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote