Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2020, 05:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Considering switching to lithium questions

I currently have four Interstate 6V lead acid batteries from Costco. I’m considering upgrading to lithium batteries prior to heading out West this Fall, where we plan to boondock a lot. I do like the Battle Born batteries.

My question: do I need to make any changes to my inverter (Magnum Pure Sine Wave 2812), other than change the “battery type” setting on the remote? Is there any other changes to consider?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 05:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Your lucky with your inverter as far as I know that it. I think your inverter supports custom on the battery also you may want to call battle born and have then give you the recommended config.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 AM   #3

Yes, lots more IMO if you want those lithium batts to last a long time.
No mention of what RV you have.
I did it a few years ago on my '16 Bounder and it is working great. I live FT in mine.
Bounder Solar Lithium Upgrade
Old 06-01-2020, 07:11 AM   #4

Paul,

To literally answer your question, yes it is a bit more complicated than just changing battery type on the inverter. Lucky, you have the Magnum 2812 because with the Advanced control panel you can make all the changes you want..

I just set one up for a guy with Battleborns. You will need to set the Charge Voltage, and set the charge to stop on Return Amps. Set the Return Amps value to 5% of the total amp hour capacity of the entire bank, Set the size of the battery bank. You will need to change the Low Battery Cutoff to around 11.5. And you will need to set the Float Voltage to 13.3 or 13.4.
My values are more conservative than what you will find on the BB site, but I err on longer battery life rather than eeking out the last amp.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Paul,

To literally answer your question, yes it is a bit more complicated than just changing battery type on the inverter. Lucky, you have the Magnum 2812 because with the Advanced control panel you can make all the changes you want..

I just set one up for a guy with Battleborns. You will need to set the Charge Voltage, and set the charge to stop on Return Amps. Set the Return Amps value to 5% of the total amp hour capacity of the entire bank, Set the size of the battery bank. You will need to change the Low Battery Cutoff to around 11.5. And you will need to set the Float Voltage to 13.3 or 13.4.
My values are more conservative than what you will find on the BB site, but I err on longer battery life rather than eeking out the last amp.
I like your idea of being conservative on the settings as compared to what the manufacturers suggest. I have been doing the same for 3 years.

Paul,

Great suggestions for settings if you have a newer Magnum remote but if your remote is original to your year of coach you will not have all those settings. Might require a call to BattleBorn to see if it is compatible or upgrade your remote.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the advice. My remote is original to the coach. I will call BB to discuss.

Tags
lithium, switch