Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BusyGuy,

Hope you hear from him soon.

Recommend when you get them back you scan them page-by-page and create a computer file. It will take you some time to do them all but I maintain both paper and digital library as I keep the paper in the DP and the digital on my computer for easy research while in my recliner.

Hope all goes well - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #16

Change your email settings to "request read receipt", this will verify he is receiving them.
Use Google to look at his house address, might give a clue if it is legit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The read receipt feature only works if the recipient agrees to it. There's the option by them to select "no" to the read receipt & the sender will have no idea if they read it or not.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #18

Please do us all a favor and report back any and all results of this thread.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #19

wiring diagrams

Latest update
There has been no answer from DonnellR. Have sent him 3 emails and no answer on any of them.
I did find a phone number and have checked out his place on Google Earth. He is only about 450 miles from my house, As a last resort, if I don't here from him in a week or so I will jump in the buggy and take a trip to KY. That may be a waste of time but, I have a lot of time.
Will keep you all updated.
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #20

Guess this falls under "lessons learned"?? Unless I personally know a person, I would not have done this, but I do commend your willingness to help a stranger. Hope this turns out good for you.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #21

A note on scanning diagrams...

I'm a semi-retired electronics engineer and 2-way radio tech. I learned my lesson about loaning out irreplaceable paperwork 40 years ago... back in the mid 1970s I loaned out my late grandfathers 1930s copy of an autographed book on pyrotechnics and the person evaporated...

Motorola 2-way uses a format in their manuals that is uncommon outside the electronics industry... they include fan-fold diagrams in their equipment documentation (their manuals are 8x11 and as thick as 4 inches). Each pull-out diagram is 11 inches high and as wide as is necessary - sometimes as wide as 36 inches.

Back when I had a flatbed scanner I'd scan diagrams for friends... scanning a 8x11 area at a time and then building a wide graphics file one 8 inch wide tile at a time. However there would be a confusion factor at the left and right edges of the scans... especially when horizontal lines didn't line up. (these days I use a Fujitsu ScanSnap that connects via USB and scans both sides of the sheet at once. I wish that they made one that scans sideways - i.e. is 11 inches wide)

Then an architect friend of mine shared that the average architect does not have an expensive roll-feed wide format printer that's 36 or even 48 inches wide... especially newbies that are just starting out... they "print" to a PDF file and then send the file to blueprint house... there's at least one or two in every city.

The Fedex Office chain of stores have a roll feed scanner/copier in most of their stores. Bring your own thumb drive, or they can email the scans to you, or they can burn a CD (but they will charge a bit more). Once the scanned pages are on your thumb drive you can do whatever you want.

And usually there are other options than FedEx... I've been using a local privately owned shop for over 25 years... I'll disassemble a Motorola manual and take all the pull-out sheets to Sky Blueprint. Scanning a dozen sheets anywhere from 11 to 36 inches wide might cost $10-15. I have them scan the sheets to my thumb drive AND email them.

I have all the Fleetwood docs for my 1985 coach, plus I have the original manuals in the cheap vinyl Fleetwood folder, and a bunch more info that I've documented myself.

So far I've helped three different people on iRV2 and a couple on other forums with info and have no problems emailing out scans.

But I NEVER, but NEVER let my originals out.

Mike
Old 09-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #22
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm so sorry this happened & like others do hope you get your manuals back.

I know you said you sent letters (certified?) & had tracking numbers showing delivered. Did you resend using the return receipt/signature required option? That would be my next step. This way the USPS will require a signature. They will try 3x & if the requests are ignored, I think (it's been a while since I sent RRSR) they return the letter to you with a stamp on it showing the dates they tried to deliver/get the signature.

If you do make the road trip, I would urge you to not do it alone. In this day & age, you never know what you will encounter. You would be entering that member's property. Contact the local police/sheriff to have them meet you. Even though the documents are quite valuable to you, they are not worth risking a confrontation that could go awry. Hopefully it will not come to that.

Be safe & keep us posted.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #23

wiring diagrams

Thanks for all the support and advice You all have sent. If I do get them back I will never send the originals out again. Will copy and send.
I just hope that trying to help a fellow member doesn't stop me from being trusting and willing to help others on this site.
I have been helped so many times and I think 99.9 per cent of the people on this site are the best of the best and I thank them for all the support of other members.
Will keep you all up dated.
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #24

I too applaud you for your generous spirit. Thank you.

I also have sent things through the mail to members here and at other online forums whom I've never met in person. I find joy, as you do, sharing information. However, as you obviously know by now, sending original material that has value to you should not be sent or at least has to be sent with the realization and intention that it is never going to be returned ...or has to be sent with that expectation. I know that's something that you don't want to keep hearing.

You have mentioned several times the term "member" and sharing with "other members" which is very admirable and noteworthy.

However, one thing that is very glaring to me in this situation is that this "person" was not really a "true member" of this forum. I consider a "true member" as one who has participated and contributed for at least more than one day.

This guy registered for the forum the very day he posted those two posts in that Harney thread. He only has three posts on the forum, two of which were in that thread, and all three were posted on that very day he registered.

So yes, if the person were a "true member" of the forum and one who had been participating for a decent amount of time ...or one who you may have been familiar with because you had seen some of his/her posts, then maybe I could understand considering sending them valuable material. This guy was truly a "stranger" ...not only to you in real life but also to this forum.

I'm not bringing this up to make you feel even more frustrated than you already are but just as a reminder that we all must keep our guard up for things that seem even a little fishy. Fraud, theft, and misrepresentation are occurring everywhere online nowadays with greater frequency and we all must be cognizant of that and remain vigilant as to who and what we are sending money or valuable materials to.

With all that said, I too am hoping so badly that you will recover those manuals. I can truly feel your frustration, bewilderment, and loss of trust pertaining to your fellow man. You are truly a gentleman and I wish you the very best outcome with all this.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
It's not as if you sent him your SSN, birthdate, bank account number/PIN etc

Just some RV diagrams

I wouldn't loose sleep over it.
Guy might have died hence no response
What respect you have for other people, smh
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyb View Post
What respect you have for other people, smh
OP didn't explain it was a loan until later in the thread. I had thought the same thing... Manuals are sent so what does he want, a thank you? It is clear now the manuals were loaned, not given.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyguy View Post
Latest update
There has been no answer from DonnellR. Have sent him 3 emails and no answer on any of them.
I did find a phone number and have checked out his place on Google Earth. He is only about 450 miles from my house, As a last resort, if I don't here from him in a week or so I will jump in the buggy and take a trip to KY. That may be a waste of time but, I have a lot of time.
Will keep you all updated.
Busyguy
It’s a shame some folks are so generous just to get abused by others, busyguy I feel for ya, helping strangers is something you are raised doing and we sometimes forget that most people today could give a rats azz about folks like us. Hope you hey your paperwork back.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyguy View Post
You are right it is not going to break my bank, However they were all my manuals and schematic's that I have accumulated over the 20 years I have owned the coach, thus they are very valuable to me.
Have sent them out to other members several times and were always returned and I always felt good knowing I helped another member here. As I have always been helped here with problems I had.
Be nice!

Wow. You sent 20 years of original, not easily replaceable documentation, to a stranger?
Didn't the thought of copying, scanning or even photographing the documents occur to you?
Now you may be out all that information.
Shame.
Live and learn.

Stay well.
Oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote