Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2020, 10:58 PM   #57

Support your local farmer and insist on bio-fuels.
Fuel algae is a good reason to keep your fuel tanks as empty as possible for long term storage. When you want to use your equipment, fill the tank with fresh fuel and you should be good to go. If by chance there were some small amount of fuel left that became contaminated with algae, then the new fresh fuel will dilute the algae to the point your filter can handle it.
Water condensation will not form in a empty tank!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2020, 11:08 PM   #58

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Support your local farmer and insist on bio-fuels.
Fuel algae is a good reason to keep your fuel tanks as empty as possible for long term storage. When you want to use your equipment, fill the tank with fresh fuel and you should be good to go. If by chance there were some small amount of fuel left that became contaminated with algae, then the new fresh fuel will dilute the algae to the point your filter can handle it.
Water condensation will not form in a empty tank!
Yeah, you do that and tell us how it works out for you !!
Old 10-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Yeah, you do that and tell us how it works out for you !!

As a farm tractor restorer hobbyist, I have plenty of actual experience storing equipment with dry fuel tanks for multi years with success. I have pulled many tractor fuel tanks (some ruined beyond repair) that had to be cleaned from stale old fuel. How do you think dealers store equipment/vehicles from the manufacture date until the sale date, which can be many months? They are not stored with full fuel tanks.
It really works good for me, in fact I keep my 100 gallon aux fuel tank in my truck empty and only put in enough fuel to last for any given trip on the day before I leave (no diesel fuel issues in over 12 years). Algae in diesel fuel doesn't have to happen, if you play it smart.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Always store a diesel engine with a full fuel tank, otherwise natural heating/cooling of the air repeatedly condenses moisture, which settles on the bottom.
X2! This is imperative..!! If practiced, this would eliminate 95% of all the water, algae, etc., problems.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:35 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
X2! This is imperative..!! If practiced, this would eliminate 95% of all the water, algae, etc., problems.

That is a longstanding myth! No one ever had a issue with a algae or condensation in a empty fuel tank. If a empty tank could condensate water, then we could solve water shortages by installing empty tanks in drought areas, since all natural air has some moisture in it.
Most water in fuel tanks comes from the fuel itself, not the air. All fuel by nature has a percent of water in it and when that fuel sits undisturbed for a time, then the water will settle out and cause the above post problems.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
That is a longstanding myth! No one ever had a issue with a algae or condensation in a empty fuel tank.....
Since this is a Class A RV forum... parking the RV with an empty fuel tank is not something that can happen. Your choice is full, or something less than full! I've always kept all fuel tanks of equipment and vehicles full when they are to sit for a while. Never a problem. ONCE, I parked my 65 Mustang for a few years with just a few gallons of gas in it and had to replace the tank due to rust holes in the TOP of the tank. And I live in AZ!
Old 10-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #63

I think we are talking apples and oranges comparing a gasoline mustang to a diesel rv.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #64

Update to my original post: I finally had a chance to pull the fuel sender out and able to see the bottom and sides of the tank. The tank looked as clean as it was new, at least the end compartment where the sender is. No contaminants or water. The tank has probably 3 or 4 baffles and prevented to see into the others but I would think that if I had algae, other contaminants or water, they'd be all over. So, whatever clogged the fuel filters since the previous owner replaced them last year is a mystery.
I also just found out that the previous owner (for the past 3 years) had used "Clear-Diesel fuel and tank cleaner". I had already purchased Biobor and will be using that.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I think we are talking apples and oranges comparing a gasoline mustang to a diesel rv.
Agreed that comparing gas to diesel is a non-starter. But, the topic I was addressing wasn't fuel, it was the corrosive effect over time of moisture contained in air (humidity) when a tank isn't kept full of fuel.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:54 PM   #66

If you are not going to drive it for awhile, you usually know it. Just dump in some biocide, and a stabilizer the last fill up before storage, and never leave home without extra fuel filters.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:37 AM   #67

Yes, those are already in the bus. Learned the hard way.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:29 AM   #68

Thanks to all.
I'll keep it full.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:24 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
If you are not going to drive it for awhile, you usually know it. Just dump in some biocide, and a stabilizer the last fill up before storage, and never leave home without extra fuel filters.
see post 43
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:46 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
see post 43
I understand filters can rust, but it is easily remedied by rotating them out. But not carrying them can lead to an adventure you don't want to have. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, carry extra fuel filters. Install when serviced or as needed and buy new ones to keep on board. Even a rusty one is better than plugged one to get you to civilization.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel