Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I did get the 15k rooftop units. I am not disagreeing with you, but when I sit stationary I run the genny and run MORE things and nothing trips. We have tried a new breaker too, as well as flipping the loads to other breaker to isolate the leg. This is a tough one!!
Disagreeing with me is Ok. I have been known to post some pretty stupid things from time to time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
First off thanks to everyone for the help it was much appreciated and I learned a few things along the way! It would appear that we have it finally resolved.Turns out the issue ended up being heat related. Too much heat overall was causing the breaker to trip, living down here in GA it gets pretty hot in the summer months after continuing to monitor data points turns out it was only trigger during the time it was really hot say over 90. Coachmen was of no help predictably and finally my dealer replaced the 30a and 20a breaker with 50a breakers and it's not blown since. The actual amperage on the breaker when it's blowing is like 26a with everything running I normally run so it's still below the 30a the heat was causing it to pop...
Old 07-18-2018, 01:27 AM   #73

Life is good!

Thanks for posting
Old 07-18-2018, 05:46 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had an Onan mechanic tell me that the air cooled generators we're of very poor design as he was replacing the power head on mine that ate itself in 100 degree weather. I now never run the Genny in the heat while sitting still for very long. Wish mine was water cooled. My sister has the same genset in her MH and is having heat issues also.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #75

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
Had an Onan mechanic tell me that the air cooled generators we're of very poor design as he was replacing the power head on mine that ate itself in 100 degree weather. I now never run the Genny in the heat while sitting still for very long. Wish mine was water cooled. My sister has the same genset in her MH and is having heat issues also.
For my money the entire purpose of the generator is to run the AC in the hot as heck southern summers so that seems to defeat the purpose, is there some sort of aftermarket upgrade to improve the issue? Or should I just budget to expect to replace the power head on mine too at some point?
Old 07-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
For my money the entire purpose of the generator is to run the AC in the hot as heck southern summers so that seems to defeat the purpose, is there some sort of aftermarket upgrade to improve the issue? Or should I just budget to expect to replace the power head on mine too at some point?
So far, mine is still going, I'm paranoid now when it comes to the genset, if there is an upgrade, I hope someone will chime in.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:15 AM   #77

Quote:
So far, mine is still going, I'm paranoid now when it comes to the genset, if there is an upgrade, I hope someone will chime in.
Thor coaches had some issues with generators overheating that were located forward near the engine/exhaust, as I recall the problem was while driving. These were relocated toward the rear of the coach to solve the problem. Newer Forrest River products come with a door vent and boot that improves separation of the intake air from the exhaust air, improving cooling.

This is a Thor 29.3 with a 4k Onan:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/ace-...ml#post3313708

Have about 200 hours on mine so far with out issue. Don't know if this grill fits a larger generator or if they have another size.

Part numbers for this grill and boot:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/ace-...ml#post4295688
Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #78

I’ve had several RV’s with air cooled onans and have run all of them lots over 110 degree weather for a/c without any problems. That’s what their for. Unless the Rv manufacturer installed it in a way it couldn’t get the airflow it needs, I wouldn’t worry about it.
Travel on
Old 07-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #79

^x2!
I run my 5500 onan and 2 AC’s for 10 days straight often in 90+ heat, just keep up on the maintence!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #80

Those 4000 Onan quiet run gensets that are built in to smaller RV’s have a few design flaws. The fuel pump and filter are in a spot(inside the box) that builds tremendous heat. Heat is the enemy. Mine ran flawlessly for 450 hours(in my 2014 Thor Chateau 23U). Had to replace fuel pump and coil. My Onan tech modified it installing pump mounted to the bracket outside the box. If yours is like mine( shoe horned in a tiny spot, be sure you run it with the compartment door open. Hope this helps.
joespapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #81

Quote:

RV forums are good at generating paranoia. I recommend meditation.
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Don't run your genset in dusty conditions, air or water cooled. I have a big rug to place under the genset if we're running it on sand or loose dusty soil. The genset blows alot of air in the process of cooling itself. My thinking is if the genset is blowing air that is stirring dust that the genset is sucking up to cool itself, sooner or later the genset will be full of dust and unable to cool itself.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator