Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2021, 10:58 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Re: << With my switches "off" there is a 5 amp parasitic load. I have to be plugged in at all times or the batteries will go dead.>>
I would find those LOAD wires on the Battery side of switch and MOVE them to the LOAD side of Switch? Smoke/ LP maybe? .. but even if old solenoid control (wud explain the 5a, solenoids are heavy draw), if it shut OFF LP, it WUD be a GOOD thing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2021, 03:49 AM   #16

I'm guessing your RV is 50 amp. Plugged into a 50 amp circuit you can use pretty much anything. 30 amp a single AC and frig, the charger to maintain. If you just want to maintain the batteries you can do that with a standard 15 amp outlet.

You do have to make sure there is a way the house and chassis batteries are tied together so all stay charged.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:15 AM   #17

If you want to test for a drain, the easy way is to remove the neg battery terminal and install a 12volt test light that has a bulb, in between the battery and the terminal you removed. If the test light, lights up, something is using battery current.
Anything that will light up the test light will kill the battery in storage. This applies to coach and house batteries the same.
Kenrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why don’t they install a complete battery disconnect?

I’ll start by leaving it plugged in. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks
tmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #19

Better the battery dies than you
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I leave it plugged in should I turn anything off? Fridge. AC.

I’ll be plugged into 20 amps
tmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmas View Post

If the 20A is GFCI you will do well to do some experimenting and close monitoring as many MHs don't play well with GFCI.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:34 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Air is risky to run on 20a, if it kicks on while other loads on, it can overload, kick off, or worse, a loose plug/ receptacle can/ will melt. Lights, Refrigerator and charger should be fine. Better/ Best is converting any incandescents to LED (90% reduction in lighting power/ heat)
Old 12-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update

I took it to Freightliner and they tested the battery. Let it sit for 24 hours and tested again. Said there was no voltage drop. $150 diagnostic fee.

I left it at storage plugged in for the last 4 weeks. When I went to pick it up today the coach battery was at 12.4v and the chassis battery was dead. I had to jump the chassis with the coach battery.

It is going to the RV store tomorrow for an awning issue. I’ll ask them to look at the battery but I have no confidence they find anything.

Grrrr…any suggestions would help!

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Update

I took it to Freightliner and they tested the battery. Let it sit for 24 hours and tested again. Said there was no voltage drop...
If the battery was OK at Freightliner but not in the RV, it is NOT the battery! There is some kind of a problem in the charging system in your RV.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:59 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Update

I took it to Freightliner and they tested the battery. Let it sit for 24 hours and tested again. Said there was no voltage drop. $150 diagnostic fee.

I left it at storage plugged in for the last 4 weeks. When I went to pick it up today the coach battery was at 12.4v and the chassis battery was dead. I had to jump the chassis with the coach battery.

It is going to the RV store tomorrow for an awning issue. I’ll ask them to look at the battery but I have no confidence they find anything.

Grrrr…any suggestions would help!

Thanks.
Plugged in, coach battery then disconnected and then allowing 30-minutes to dissipate high voltage (13.2-13.6vdc) from charger, should THEN have been 12.6-12.7 (95%-100%), so 12.4 (70%-80% charge) *** is concerning? Battery age? Test cells w/ hydrometer for failing cell? but I try to charge My chassis battery every 2-3-weeks, either by running engine 20-min or putting on BOOST for several hours. (This allows CONVERTER TO also CHARGE CHASSIS, but solenoid MUST be "Continuous Rated"). ***SLIGHT corrosion (that you may not even see until terminal removed from battery) at terminals, or cables/ crimps can STOP a battery from charging over about 70-75%. Good Luck... BTW, (TIP) if you had taken battery out to the auto parts store, most would test for FREE. The RV store/ shop will ALSO CHARGE YOU.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
What about things like the fridge and A/C? Leave those on too?
Mine is for being out in the driveway. Well for setting the ac temp up and the fridge at a lower setting. All else like for the hot water, is off.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #27

chassis battery

It almost sounds like your alternator has a leaking diode causing the chassis battery to discharge through the alternator. Most of the parasitic loads should be on the house battery.

Also on my motorhome if the battery switches are off the converter does not charge the batteries.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #28

I installed a battery switch for my house batteries like we use on our boats. I can isolate either battery or connect both together or disconnect both completely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E452418-C79C-4AB1-AD0E-CA0A629CF6BD.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	350897  

Tags
battery, electric, electrical