Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #1

CONTINUOUS Hot Water Switch...How?

There is a toggle switch in the bathroom with, "Continuous Hot Water" on the label.

We have a Hurricane Heating system, but how would it fire up if our heat isn't on? Do Aqua Hot systems have the same thing?

Does this continuous water go through the HW tank, or some other path?

Finally, why would we want continuous hot water?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take a long shower to find out why!
My 600D AquaHot will supply continuous hot water but only if I turn on the burner. Even using both electric elements won't do it.
They also make a 675D AquaHot that is 240 volt electric elements and diesel burner. Even it will not supply continuous hot water on only electricity.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
There is a toggle switch in the bathroom with, "Continuous Hot Water" on the label.

We have a Hurricane Heating system, but how would it fire up if our heat isn't on? Do Aqua Hot systems have the same thing?

Does this continuous water go through the HW tank, or some other path?

Finally, why would we want continuous hot water?
Speaking to Aqua Hot system (not sure about Hurricane). Heat and hot water are two separate things, from the same source.
Simply put, Aqua hot is a boiler that contains a coiled water line running through it. The boiler fluid is heated and the heat is transferred to the water. Since it is very hot, especially on diesel you have continuous hot water.

Continuous hot water is meant for long showers - most RVs have only six to 10 gallon heaters and are good for a relatively short shower before you have wait for more hot water. Aqua Hot turns on, heats the boiler fluid and provides fast heating to the water running through it so it stays hot.
When I turn on my Aqua Hot it heats the water rapidly on demand as it flows through the boiler. If I turn off the tap it shuts off shortly.

When I want heat, I turn on one of the three zone "radiators" (front, bedroom and/or bathroom). Aqua Hot kicks in a burner (or electric element) and fluid from the Hydro hot is pumped through the lines to each radiator (and I will also have hot water if I want it). The Aqua Hot is controlled by my thermostat.

I normally have my Aqua Hot in electric mode and only fire up the diesel when the wife and daughter are having showers.

If your heat is not turned on, you will not get any heat.

HTH

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #4

If AquaHot is radiator heat, Hurricane is forced air heat. From what I'm reading, it would seem that the switch on the bathroom cabinet might fire up the diesel burner and heat water while not turning on the forced air blowers.

Can anybody verify this? With only the two of us, we've not run out of HW (yet) and I wouldn't want to mess with our Hurricane system when it's dropping into the 30s here in TN.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
In the Hurricane system you can heat water two ways depending on model, one with the diesel boiler only and another with a electrical element along with the boiler. Sounds like you have the ability to use an electrical element along with the diesel
Old 10-21-2018, 12:03 AM   #6

Hurricane units are from the marine division of ITR which also makes the Oasis hydronic system (aqua hot competitor) that Newmar uses.
You may be able to find your manual in the link below, or give them a call. I've heard that their customer support is very helpful.
Marine Heating Systems – Itrheat
Old 10-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
If AquaHot is radiator heat, Hurricane is forced air heat. From what I'm reading, it would seem that the switch on the bathroom cabinet might fire up the diesel burner and heat water while not turning on the forced air blowers.

Can anybody verify this? With only the two of us, we've not run out of HW (yet) and I wouldn't want to mess with our Hurricane system when it's dropping into the 30s here in TN.
To clarify the Aqua hot system does use a fan over each radiator to force the hot air out - so it is not a radiator heat in the sense that older homes have. Hurricane also uses this same method and refers to this as heat exchanger fans. This being said, there are several options on how the heat is transferred.

Most MHs without an hyrdonic system do use a true forced air furnace that heats the air in a burner and blows it through ducts throughout the MH. It is separate from the hot water tank.

AFAIK all hydronic systems (Hurricane, Aqua hot etc) use radiators (heat exhangers) throughout the MH usually with individual fans pushing air over the radiators. It is part of the hot water system and referred to as a hydronic system.

If you turn on continuous hot water you will not be turning on any forced air blowers but will turn on your diesel burner. It will not pump hot fluid to your heat exchangers so will have no effect on inside temperature.

Your heat is separately controlled by the zones and setting in your thermostat. If you need heat, set the thermostat to the appropriate setting. This will instruct the Hurricane system to turn on pump hot fluid to your heat exhangers in that zone.
HTH

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
If you turn on continuous hot water you will not be turning on any forced air blowers but will turn on your diesel burner.

Your heat is separately controlled by the zones and setting in your thermostat.
Good to know, and logical. Right now the system is cycling about 2 minutes ON, then fan continues for 2 minutes, then it repeats. Very even heating and is capable of (at lease) increasing interior temps to +35 over outside temps.

We'll wait to get home before trying the continuous function, since our 10 gallon water heater is doing just fine (electric normally, and LP when breakfast is being made so we don't trip the 2800 Magnum again)
Old 10-21-2018, 11:53 PM   #9

You hot water tank has a heat exchanger that takes hot water from the Hurricane loop and heats the hot water. There's an aquastat that senses when you are using hot water and will fire the Hurricane when needed. The remote switch must be in the ON position for it to do so. I find most of the time we have plenty of hot water in the tank using the electric element for two of us to take a short shower. On occasion we treat ourselves to a long "endless hot water" shower using the Hurricane boiler. I really like our Hurrance unit.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:32 AM   #10

Can any of these systems be added aftermarket? I've got the typical forced-air LP furnace and like the idea of a diesel-fired heating system. I was thinking of adapting a diesel forced-air heater that trucks or buses use, and connecting it to the heating ducts under the existing furnace (there's space in a compartment) but I also have LOTS of space in my wet bay if there was a way to install one of these units instead...
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #11

The simple answer would be Yes, but at what cost?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a manual on the Hurricane.

http://www.serenitysys.com/beaver/ar...0Operation.pdf
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, water