Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

Converting manual to electric Awning

I am wanting to convert a manual controlled awning to electric controlled. I see "kits" from Amazon and is it a DIY project? Where is best place to get replacement arms etc. 19' Awning
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #2

I’ve never seen a conversion system for a RV awning, not saying they don’t exist. All I know is the electric awning I have now has a totally different motion and support arms than a manual.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I’ve never seen a conversion system for a RV awning, not saying they don’t exist. All I know is the electric awning I have now has a totally different motion and support arms than a manual.
Shucks, I was hoping but was concerned with the arm kit they sold too...oh well just another thought I had
Old 04-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Call Dometic or whoever made your awning and ask them.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Converting manual to electric Awning

If your manual awning allows you to tilt it be sure the electric one can do the same or you won’t be happy. I have an electric and it doesn’t do anything except run in and out. It doesn’t tilt and the arms are not adjustable to get the front to angle down.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just recently did exactly what you want to do. When I replaced the awning material the spring mechanism let go. Ouch. Went to a used parts guy (gamblers RV) and got a drive motor $100, put it in where the spring fits, wired a dpdt switch and works like a charm. Mine is a dometic two step
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I have an electric and it doesn’t do anything except run in and out. It doesn’t tilt and the arms are not adjustable to get the front to angle down.
I thought this too until I started snooping. On mine there are two knobs - one on each arm. I have to use a step stool but I can pull the awning side down and tighten the knob and it stays “tilted”. I can do both sides to create a higher angle for the whole awning. Just need to remember to loosen the knob before retracting.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
If your manual awning allows you to tilt it be sure the electric one can do the same or you won’t be happy. I have an electric and it doesn’t do anything except run in and out. It doesn’t tilt and the arms are not adjustable to get the front to angle down.
Every electric awning I've ever had could be tilted. It wasn't necessary as they auto-dump rain anyway but there were buttons on the arms to allow a tilt in the fabric. What kind do you have?

See page 6 in this Carefree owners manual to see what I'm talking about.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...ers-Manual.pdf
Old 04-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #9

The electric ones i have seen have a break away feature, that when too much weight gets on it, the one end drops and relieves the water off it. This would eliminate the need to leave one side tilted, as you need to do with a manual one. Maybe some electrics dont, but the ones I am familiar with do dump automatically.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some do have (or did) have kits to convert from manual to electric. They used to be available through the CW catalog. I don't remember seeing them in this years catalog.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, electric, manual