Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

Converting Master into Kids Room

Has anyone converted their masters room into the kids room?

We had a thought about doing this and taking out the bed to replace with cribs or toddler beds (we have twins). This would allow a place for the kids to sleep in an vented room with the door shut. Giving us the rest of the RV until we are ready for bed.

We were thinking about sleeping in the overhead bunk or in the couch sleeper?

Has anyone done this or thinking about doing this?

Thanks for your help!
thegreenthre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like a reasonable plan. If it works for your family and situation it will be fine. You may want to consider putting in bunk beds for future use.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Sounds like a reasonable plan. If it works for your family and situation it will be fine. You may want to consider putting in bunk beds for future use.
We did think about this but we would like a shorter coach like around 33 feet. When we looked most coaches with a bunkhouse were 36 feet and up. We are still pondering on which way we will go.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:44 AM   #4

First check what's under the bed that you plan on taking out. There could be mechanisms or water tanks.

A typical RV sofa is not comfortable for permanent sleeping unless you add a mattress topper. If you did that, where would you store it during the day?

Measure the size of an overhead bunk. It might be too narrow for you.

Personally, I think you'd be happier and everyone more comfortable if you just added 3' more and got a RV with bunks for the children.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
First check what's under the bed that you plan on taking out. There could be mechanisms or water tanks.

A typical RV sofa is not comfortable for permanent sleeping unless you add a mattress topper. If you did that, where would you store it during the day?

Measure the size of an overhead bunk. It might be too narrow for you.

Personally, I think you'd be happier and everyone more comfortable if you just added 3' more and got a RV with bunks for the children.
We found a Fleetwood Excursion that has a full overhead bunk. Both my wife and tried it out and it was comfortable. It is not as big as a queen but felt bigger than a full.

The master bed has nothing under it but a storage compartment. It looked very easy to remove.

We like the shorter coaches because we feel we don't need all that room, plus it will be easier to drive.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenthre View Post
We found a Fleetwood Excursion that has a full overhead bunk. Both my wife and tried it out and it was comfortable. It is not as big as a queen but felt bigger than a full.

The master bed has nothing under it but a storage compartment. It looked very easy to remove.

We like the shorter coaches because we feel we don't need all that room, plus it will be easier to drive.
Somewhere I was reading a thread where they were considering a Berkshire as well.

IMO the extra couple feet will not be an issue driving. May take a slight bit more care when parking or turning but not significant enough to be a serious factor.

The little bit of extra effort to learn to drive a slightly longer coach will be easily offset by a more comfortable floor plan that you and the family can fully enjoy.

You have to take care and "get out and look" no matter what size of unit you drive.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Somewhere I was reading a thread where they were considering a Berkshire as well.

IMO the extra couple feet will not be an issue driving. May take a slight bit more care when parking or turning but not significant enough to be a serious factor.

The little bit of extra effort to learn to drive a slightly longer coach will be easily offset by a more comfortable floor plan that you and the family can fully enjoy.

You have to take care and "get out and look" no matter what size of unit you drive.
True, the extra feet should not change the driving experience that much.

We are considering a Bunkhouse but there are issues that come with that as well. Such as, they are usually across from the bathroom which means it is hard to stay quiet, bunkhouses have no ventilation and most floor plans do not have a door in between the bunks and living room.

So much to consider!
Old 10-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #8

I think the door/quiet thought is a non-starter. First of all, if you look at any door in any mobile RV, you'll see there are large gaps at the floor. There has to be, because the floor has to have room to flex in relation to the walls when traveling. Second, any door will be a very thin hollow door designed to provide visual privacy, not sound proofing. As with anything mobile, weight reduction is a high priority when designers plan how to build. Your best bet is to buy the floor plan that makes the most sense to you, because no matter what, you're not going to have sound insulation.
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #9

I thought bunks had a window at each one.... guess they all don't. In that case, yes, they could get hot and stuffy.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
Your best bet is to buy the floor plan that makes the most sense to you, because no matter what, you're not going to have sound insulation.
Good point, I had not thought about hollow doors. Guess we will need to make sure we have sleep machines!
Old 10-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I thought bunks had a window at each one.... guess they all don't. In that case, yes, they could get hot and stuffy.
Some have 2 and others have a badly placed 1. Our main concern is safety and having an open windows 12 inches from our toddlers does not sit well with us.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:26 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Some have 2 and others have a badly placed 1. Our main concern is safety and having an open windows 12 inches from our toddlers does not sit well with us.
We use a noise machine in one of the bunks for background noise, helps damper our movements as well as outside noise. (RV's are not exactly soundproof, inside or out)

Relative to the bunk windows, at least on mine, they are higher up then they look given the coach height. In addition, being sliding windows, they only open about 1/2 way, nothing is going in or out of that space.

I'm with the others, I think the extra space and not having to put beds away every morning would far outweigh any driving issues you may experience over the extra couple feet. I've driven rigs bigger and smaller then mine and I don't think knocking 2 feet off is going to make much of a difference in handling. Going from a gas to a diesel or a class C to class A, yes, that will change things. 2 feet, IMHO, no biggie.

That being said, you guys are what will determine what's right for you!!!!!
Old 10-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Good point, I had not thought about hollow doors. Guess we will need to make sure we have sleep machines!
Theoretically the children should be exhausted at the end of each day. Get them out playing in the fresh air, in the pool, running in the trees. You should be able to vacuum underneath them without issue - IF YOU CAN STAY AWAKE! LOL
Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastvalve View Post
We use a noise machine in one of the bunks for background noise, helps damper our movements as well as outside noise. (RV's are not exactly soundproof, inside or out)

Relative to the bunk windows, at least on mine, they are higher up then they look given the coach height. In addition, being sliding windows, they only open about 1/2 way, nothing is going in or out of that space.

I'm with the others, I think the extra space and not having to put beds away every morning would far outweigh any driving issues you may experience over the extra couple feet. I've driven rigs bigger and smaller then mine and I don't think knocking 2 feet off is going to make much of a difference in handling. Going from a gas to a diesel or a class C to class A, yes, that will change things. 2 feet, IMHO, no biggie.

That being said, you guys are what will determine what's right for you!!!!!
So true, this is why we posted the question because we knew we would get great advice and direction!