Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2018, 03:35 AM   #1

Converting to LED headlights

Does anyone have any advice on converting to LED headlight bulbs? The research I've done so far has found quite a wide range in price and lumens. I have an 09 Southwind, any info would be greatly appreciated.
baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
I was going to convert my pickup to LED head lights. A huge amount of data on the subject. The biggest deal is getting a "good" light and then getting them aimed correctly. The cheaper ones just throw light every where, unable to focus the beam on the road. The better ones have to be adjusted in the vehicle by rotating the bulb in the socket. It can be very tedious. Good luck.
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #3

I plan to upgrade using M4 Products later this summer. The RV Geeks have an excellent video on their installation of LED headlights.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just make sure you find a new, truly dedicated housing that's got the correct projector beam set-up. Do not just put LED bulbs in a housing not designed for them, or you'll end up with a pretty color light, but absolutely no improvement in visibility. (Possibly even worse than what you started with.)
TowDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #5

TowDawg is correct.
Make sure you are buying a proven combination. Just because someone advertises an LED light kit for you application does not mean it will work well.
(some obviously are fine)

Every housing and reflector is different. Make sure you know what you are getting. I bought LEDs for my coach and it has been a nightmare to install. No good way to seal up the wires/connectors. Had to buy extra parts and modify them. (Thankfully another member on IRV2 helped me out)

I have an injury and not able to get the coach out for a night drive after the install, but I have a feeling I might be tearing out the LED set up and going back to the old bulbs after a lot of work and modifications. Pattern on the garage door is not great but maybe they will be OK. Test drive will tell.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #6

I installed some on my Coachman and they are super bright... I love them, even though I havent driven around much at night, :(
Lex0924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:11 PM   #7

I put projection type in my truck....really cast the light out in night time drive'n in the desert..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:46 AM   #8

Thanks everyone, probably explains why local auto parts stores like NAPA don't sell them
baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Replacing older bulbs with LED will make the light brighter or a different color, but they wont increase distance/projection. To get better lighting all the way around you have to replace the whole headlight for something designed to have LED lights. Throwing in LED bulbs will help with increasing brightness for sure but not necessarily how far you can see.

I couldn't find a replacement unit for my headlights, so I went with the 'add more' option.

------- post from forest river forum -------------

I don't know about anyone else, but my wife and I tend to do a lot of overnight driving. We do FL->NY pretty often and do it in 1.5 days of driving to maximize time with family/friends.

Anyone who has driven a 2016+ Fr3 with the little 3.5" lights will probably agree with me that the lights are absolutely terrible. SO, I added some thin spot LED lights and they are 200% better now.

https://imgur.com/a/1PHZ3Kt

Lights: http://a.co/fhEFv8O
Wiring: http://a.co/5PQl7JS

I'm going to switch to a toggle switch and permanently mount the switch in the dash, but for now i ran the supplied round switch to the steering wheel and have it sitting in one the gaps.
Knoxie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I am planning to replace my headlight bulbs with the ones from M4Products. They have the best lumen output (6000) I could find without the bluish tint!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by baer View Post
Does anyone have any advice on converting to LED headlight bulbs? .
The first thing I would want to know is why?

I avoid driving the MH at night. When you are driving a MH it implies that the alternator is running so lights are not much of a load for a 300 hp engine.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
The first thing I would want to know is why?

I avoid driving the MH at night. When you are driving a MH it implies that the alternator is running so lights are not much of a load for a 300 hp engine.

I don't think anyone does it to reduce the load, but rather for the better visibility. At least that's the reason I'm doing it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't think anyone does it to reduce the load, but rather for the better visibility. At least that's the reason I'm doing it!
So why not ask the question, what's the best way to improve visibility?

The basic problem with night driving is being blinded by others. This does not get better with age.

The second issue is driving too fast.

So here is a strange concept. Drive within the limiting factor for safety instead of buying a new gadget.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
So why not ask the question, what's the best way to improve visibility?

The basic problem with night driving is being blinded by others. This does not get better with age.

The second issue is driving too fast.

So here is a strange concept. Drive within the limiting factor for safety instead of buying a new gadget.
Or, possibly - RV headlights are crappy?

I have only driven once at night with our RV. I do drive quite a bit in the darkness. I have to get up at 4:30 A.M. and be at work shortly after that. I work 12-1/2 hour shifts, so for about 1/3 of the year I drive to and from work in the dark (when on day shift). I live way out in the sticks. There are lots of deer and wild hogs, skunks and raccoons on the road. I know what good headlights look like, and I know what sucky headlights look like. The one time I was caught after dark in the motor home I was alarmed at how poor the headlights were on our 2006 Winnebago. The lenses are clear, but the light output is dismal. I think a votive candle would be brighter. And to think that I (along with everyone else on the Dodge truck forums) complained about the second-generation Dodge pickup lights. A set of LED projectors fixed that. My '95 Jeep Wrangler had poor lights, but a new set of Sylvania Silverstars were the answer.

If I had driven to the reach of the lights, I would have been limited to 35 m.p.h. on I-40 WB into Arizona. Fortunately there was one spot left at the rest area, and we pulled in for the night.

Sometimes the answer for dim headlights is to route another more direct power lead to it and use the normal headlight feed for triggering a solenoid. The voltage to my headlights is right at 12VDC with the engine running. So, that may not help me much at all. I am following this thread. I hope to find out some good first-hand information, and see if anyone that has simply changed to an LED bulb found better performance.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, lights