Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #15

One other thing to consider: How accurate is the oven temperature? A home oven can easily be off +/- 25 degrees, likely the same possibility here. You might consider investing in an oven thermometer (about $3).
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #16

Do what I do.
Mix up the ingredients
Put in additional chocolate chips
Turn OFF oven
Eat cookie dough.

I never get to the oven part!

Bill

(I am still struggling with the convection oven too)
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #17

It was very easy for us to get wrapped-up in "convecton oven". Actually it is only a 15A(1,875W max) electric oven, with a fan to circulate hot air (this is the "convection" part). Because of the fan running constantly, the electric heating element is usually 1,500W. The owners manual will list the actual wattage draw for your oven.
Preheat is critical for these puny electric ovens, as previously stated. Ours has 2 different metal racks for baking, most often the tall one (4") is called in, the other one (2") is seldom specified in baking instructions. Even at that, halfway through the baking cycle the pan should be switched end-for-end for even browning.
Some newer "convection ovens" have a feature that allows using the microwave part simultaneously. I know nothing more about those though; DW and I are still learning our 16 yr old unit.(it's an ongoing process unless we go full-time)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow, thanks for all the comments. Definitely discovered my two big no-no's. First, I didn't preheat. Second, I put the round pizza pan right on the turntable with no rack. Swear I saw a picture in a book where that was done but I need to go look again. I also need to buy a rack. Where do I find those round racks at?
Old 10-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #19

Look around kitchen supply stores, Dollar stores, online, etc for a round rack a bit smaller than the diameter as your turntable, so the legs will sit inside the turntable, but not so small a pan or tray will not be stable atop the rack.
I suspect any Kitchen appliance store that sells micro/convection ovens will have a source for racks.
A big no-no, is using paper or plastic bowls, plates in a "convection" oven. I will not tell how I learned that.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
Wow, thanks for all the comments. Definitely discovered my two big no-no's. First, I didn't preheat. Second, I put the round pizza pan right on the turntable with no rack. Swear I saw a picture in a book where that was done but I need to go look again. I also need to buy a rack. Where do I find those round racks at?
What's the make and model of the oven? I'd go back to them and see what might be available. Ours has a round rack that goes on the turntable and a square rack that clips into the middle of the oven.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A quick rule of thumb for convection baking is to lower the temperature 25 degrees from what your recipe or instructions state. Bake for the recommended time. That informtion was in my Sharp Microwave/Convection oven instructions and it works well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #22

When we got our coach the racks were missing. DW googled it and ordered 2-a tall one and a short one. She got wrapped around the axle a little over the convection part until she realized that was exactly what she had been using as a flight attendant for years-just without the built in microwaves. As others have said order a book or two. She wouldn't trade hers for a regular oven now for sure.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 12-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #23

What bake ware should you use in a convection oven? I have been using a glass casserole dish afraid to use the metal cooking sheets I have. But the biscuits and other things are not getting done. Bottoms still doughy. HELP
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #24

When using the convection only function of your unit you may use metal bakeware.
1 be sure to use the metal rack. This will allow for proper air circulation and promote even baking. your biscuits may not be baking properly if you are placing them directly on the turntable.
2 if you use a bakeware that will stop your turntable from moving then turn the turntable to off. If your unit does not have that function you need to use only bake ware that will turn

I use pizza pans for all my cookies etc. it's a very versital item.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As kids, about 30 years ago my sister and I would "compete" making the best cookies using a GE Toaster Oven.

It didn't have a fan. Just heat and a cheesy thermostat setting that was about 30F degrees off.

However, we both learned how to use it to make fantastic and perfect cookies!

And, as mentioned, the trick was to preheat. The second trick was to use a separate oven thermometer that was much more accurate.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #26

Some new units can incorporate both micro and convection to do the cooking and my wife and I soon realized this was not the best way to go. We now push the button for convection only, use the rack, pre heat and treat it like any other oven and things turn out perfect. Same for micro, push the button and use it like any other microwave oven.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:13 AM   #27

Thanks everyone for your help. I was just afraid to use the metal pans in the convection oven Guess I needed to be reassured before trying it. I do use th rack.
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Assuming this is a regular (Propane powered) RV oven and not one of the modern "Convection" types

#1 complaint about RV ovens is: The cookies do not bake properly.\\
#1 cure is a pizza stone, or an unglazed clay tile placed on the very bottom of the oven (the metal floor just above the burner)