Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2023, 10:26 AM   #15

Please, just smell it before adding anything.

Coolant smells completely different than ATF!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2023, 10:28 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
The labels are certainly confusing: the red one says use Dexron III or equivalent while the blue one says use only Transynd...
Looks like the previous owner switched to TranSynd and forgot to take the OEM label off. I would remove it now.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:28 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

A further caution about the coolant tank. Some (many?) Freightliner diesel chassis do NOT have an unpressurized "surge" or "overflow" coolant tank like your car. Instead it has a coolant reservoir, which is analogous to the top tank on a car radiator. It is a pressurized part of the coolant system and has a pressurized radiator cap rather than a simple plastic cover. Be cautious when the engine is hot and make sure the cap is fully seated when re-installed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Looks like the previous owner switched to TranSynd and forgot to take the OEM label off. I would remove it now.

Mike in Colorado
Actually, the TranSynd label is for the transmission, and the Dextron 111 label is for the power steering. The white tank the stickers are all on is the Power Steering reservoir tank.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:49 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oops, my bad.
So it is just "bad" sticker placement.
I'd still relocate the Tx sticker. to the Tx fill tube, or somewhere close so as not to get them confused.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:22 PM   #20

I'm sure glad I posted on here. Sounds like this is a job for someone with more experience?

And Pete, I think you are in the Discovery Owner's club? My ex used to talk to you whenever he had questions. One question for you...how hard is it to remove the floor in the closet? And...what a stupid design!!

I'm the original owner, so I don't think anyone moved stickers unless it was a mechanic.

Thanks for all the helpful answers!

Helen
Helenozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenozee View Post
I'm sure glad I posted on here. Sounds like this is a job for someone with more experience?

And Pete, I think you are in the Discovery Owner's club? My ex used to talk to you whenever he had questions. One question for you...how hard is it to remove the floor in the closet? And...what a stupid design!!

I'm the original owner, so I don't think anyone moved stickers unless it was a mechanic.

Thanks for all the helpful answers!

Helen
Is your Ex Husband Dennis?

To remove the closet floor for access to that area, one of the hardest thing to do is remove all of Sharon's clothing and SHOES! Can't really complain though. she does allow me to bring one Walmart grocery bag for all of my shirts and jeens!!!

Seriously, it is a multi step prosses to get the floor up. First you have to find and remove several wood screws holding a plumbing chase cover in place that is in the very back of the closet floor. It looks like a small carpeted step. Then you have to remove the sound insulating box that is over the engine air intake box and a large speaker. Then remove 4 large head screws. Then pry and/or lift the carpeted plywood floor up and maneuver it out of the way.
I've modified my coach so it is much easier and faster for me to do.

And you are absolutely correct. It IS A STUPID DESIGN!
Old 01-30-2023, 05:53 AM   #22

You also need to see what caused you to be low on coolant....find that leak
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Is your Ex Husband Dennis?

To remove the closet floor for access to that area, one of the hardest thing to do is remove all of Sharon's clothing and SHOES! Can't really complain though. she does allow me to bring one Walmart grocery bag for all of my shirts and jeens!!!

Seriously, it is a multi step prosses to get the floor up. First you have to find and remove several wood screws holding a plumbing chase cover in place that is in the very back of the closet floor. It looks like a small carpeted step. Then you have to remove the sound insulating box that is over the engine air intake box and a large speaker. Then remove 4 large head screws. Then pry and/or lift the carpeted plywood floor up and maneuver it out of the way.
I've modified my coach so it is much easier and faster for me to do.

And you are absolutely correct. It IS A STUPID DESIGN!

Yep, Dennis.

I was going to say it must be designed by men, and I held back. But I think your Sharon comments give me permission! LOL!

I guess I'll see if I can find a mobile mechanic to add the coolant. I don't want to put it in the wrong place, and my closet would be a chore as well, one that doesn't sound up my alley. These service places seem like every time you take them in, you have to go back for three other things. I had problems with the driver's side slide motor bringing it in over the hump. Took it in and they said the slide needed to be adjusted. $1500! They took the slide off and "adjusted" it, which lasted 3 times and then didn't work again past that hump. Cold and rain in Wyoming, and I couldn't put the slide all the way out. I had asked if it might need a stronger motor, and they had said no. So now they've put in the stronger motor, and it works fine...3 trips out to them later.

In May last year I lost my awning in the Cajon Pass, coming back from Calif. Looked to my right, and there it was hanging out over the shoulder! The wind was probably 40-50 mph. I tried to get it back in to no avail with the remote, and one arm broke off from the crazy wind. Mind you, I'm alone with 8 dogs. A friend that lives near there came to help me, and it took us 3 hours to get it off the side of the coach with that crazy wind blowing it all over the place. It was a Sunday, and I couldn't get anyone to come out. Even my AAA said no. All we had was a 3' step ladder and very basic tools. Then at 11 p.m., on the last incline before you drop into Primm, NV, a semi slammed into my driver's side with his trailer. It was NOT a good day. Anyway, Indoor RV replaced the awning. When I went to pick it up, it was butt ugly. They had to jerry rig the brackets, as they don't make replacements for it anymore, and they left the brackets steel colored. I complained about it and they had me bring it back after my trip. They also didn't put a cover over the wires in the arm so when you had the awning out, you could see the electrical wires in that arm. So now they've painted it, but they dripped black paint on the side of the RV. So they need to remove the paint and repaint that area, and I still need to go back for that. When I picked it up from them replacing the slide motor and painting the brackets, some guy had hit my NEW driver's side mirror with his trailer in their lot and cracked it. (They had it on surveillance.) They adjusted it so I could use the RV on my trip, but I had to take it back when they got the NEW new mirror in. I can't even imagine how much money I've spent just on diesel fuel taking it back and forth. They're about 30 minutes away. And I have no one to drive me, so I have to hook and unhook my toad every time.

OH, just remembered...when I brought it home from them putting in the new slide motor, I plugged it in and the fridge wouldn't work on AC. I had to use propane for a 2-week trip to AZ over Christmas. While in AZ, I had CampFridge come out, and he found that the electric outlet for the fridge has no power. The other outlet in there for the ice maker works, and he plugged it in there. He said if I'm on inverter I'll have to switch back to propane. He said the wires are right near the slide and that they must have shorted them out when they did the slide motor. Weird thing is the hot water heater won't work on electric either since I picked it up. (More propane!!) So I will have them look at all that when I go back for the paint. I think it's not a coincidence. They worked when I took it in, didn't work when I picked it up.

They have hundreds of these million $$-plus, 45' RVs there. Gorgeous, monstrous things. And I feel like my lowly little 17-year-old RV doesn't get the same loving care?

So I'm thinking a mobile mechanic for the coolant and to check for a leak. (Plus National Indoor is like 3 months out, they said, for the mechanical department, and I'm driving it to Oklahoma in 6 weeks!) Adventures in RV-ing, it just never ends.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. In November we cruised through the 100,000-mile mark with it. I'll see if the dogs and I can log a few more!

Helen (sorry for the long and a bit off topic post!)
Helenozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:59 PM   #24

Ya know, when I was in grade school a few years ago, I used to always tell my teachers "the dog ate my homework". Maybe you can blame your problems on one of your highly skilled award winning agility dogs.

Yes a mobile mechanic would be best. "HE" would probably have strong hands from opening all of the jar lids his wife couldn't open and he could open that radiator cap.

We have been home bound for a year and half due to health problems. Yesterday I went out to start the engine and the big belt broke. I found the alternator was frozen and wouldn't turn and that snapped the belt. I may ....oh horrors!... have to get to a mechanic and see if he can help me get the darn thing out. My poor body is protesting mightily these days. Sharon is no help. She says "stop being such a tight wad and pay someone to do that work". Then to add insult to injury, she said she would pay for it. Of course being that its a joint checking account......

Tags
coolant