Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2022, 12:43 PM   #1

Coolant in oil - grrr

Went to get a long (5 years) sitting 1996 Airstream Land Yacht with a 454 Chevy (P30 chassis) running this weekend. Ran well when parked; pulled into the driveway after a 10,000 mile trip, parked it, and then life went in other directions.

Got to the oil change, and once I pulled the drain plug I got out what appears to be most of the coolant - clean, brand new looking even. Followed by the dirty - but not emulsified - old oil.

Again - it was fine when parked. Live in the Tucson area, so while it gets to the teens sometimes in winter, I have always had an electric heater on in the inside in those conditions.

How the heck can coolant leak into the oil if there is no pressure?

I'm bummed.

Did a search back half a dozen pages, and could find nothing.

Any mechanic have some thoughts? The RV is in pretty good condition otherwise... 80k miles, everything works, no leaks, has a new front end (ball joints, shocks, upper and a-arms, etc), tires, starter, master cylinder, steering stabilizer, alternator, etc; but if this needs major engine work, not sure what to do.
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2022, 01:24 PM   #2

Pressure test the cooling system might be the easiest thing to try. If the pressure drops you can start looking elsewhere.

Meanwhile - after 5 years could any "practical jokers" {irate ex for instance} have had their way with the rig?
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:33 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Could that be an oil cooler? When it was parked the antifreeze would be at pressure and could force the antifreeze to enter the oil portion of the cooler.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pago cruiser View Post
Went to get a long (5 years) sitting 1996 Airstream Land Yacht with a 454 Chevy (P30 chassis) running this weekend. Ran well when parked; pulled into the driveway after a 10,000 mile trip, parked it, and then life went in other directions.

Got to the oil change, and once I pulled the drain plug I got out what appears to be most of the coolant - clean, brand new looking even. Followed by the dirty - but not emulsified - old oil.

Again - it was fine when parked. Live in the Tucson area, so while it gets to the teens sometimes in winter, I have always had an electric heater on in the inside in those conditions.

How the heck can coolant leak into the oil if there is no pressure?

I'm bummed.

Did a search back half a dozen pages, and could find nothing.

Any mechanic have some thoughts? The RV is in pretty good condition otherwise... 80k miles, everything works, no leaks, has a new front end (ball joints, shocks, upper and a-arms, etc), tires, starter, master cylinder, steering stabilizer, alternator, etc; but if this needs major engine work, not sure what to do.

Could be a cracked head or blown head gasket especially with that many miles. Pressure test the system like the other gentleman said by pressurizing the coolant system. Also would suggest pulling the plugs and looking at the plugs, might tell you what side of your engine the problems on. Hope this helps
craigd853 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #5

If you were able to recognize as antifreeze by color it was probably good down to at least 10f. Hard freeze crack block that dumps in oil pan usually happens in the valley under intake. Some intakes have leaked antifreeze as well. Pulling plugs and cheap bore scope cameras that attach to phone can tell you if leaked down on piston from head gaskets as well as rusting in cylinder walls.
Most head gasket failures pump compression/air into coolant system causing overheating before dumping coolant into oil.
There's a lot 454s out there Google coolant in oil around your year , weigh the most likely cause by others troubles.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:02 PM   #6

You are assuming that because the coolant was clean, and the oil was not emulsified that the coolant was not present while the engine was running. It only takes few hours for the coolant to completely drop out of the oil.

Prove it to yourself. Get a clear container. Pour 3/4 oil and 1/4 coolant in and shake vigorously. Let it sit over nite. And look at the separation.

I agree coolant pressure test before doing anything.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:34 PM   #7

Those model engines have coolant passages between the heads and intake manifold. Have seen several that the gasket between them will deteriorate and leak coolant into the oil. A deteriorated head gasket will do the same. Would recommend go ahead with the oil and filter change. Add new coolant and test run while keeping close watch on the coolant. If you had correct coolant/antifreeze mixture in the system that should rule out any freeze damage to the engine.
Let us know how it goes.
SAS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:03 AM   #8

Wasn't thinking in previous post you should should be able to test antifreeze level with little multi floating ball tester.
On further search on google, as I and other mentioned intake is highly suspect. Not great news but better than heads good luck.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:48 AM   #9

Very common to see bad intake manifold gaskets on both big and small block Chevy engines. The new replacement gaskets are of better quality so you should be able to run this engine to the end of the RV's life.
Leave the oil pan drain plug out and let the oil and coolant drain as much as possible. After the gasket is changed and the engine is all back together I'd run it for a few minutes then drain and replace the oil and filter once again.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:33 AM   #10

I'm going to agree with RichardE, what you found was coolant and oil that had separated after sitting. How many miles since the last time you checked the oil level with the engine hot?

The load surface of crank bearings is a thin layer of tin and lead, both very soft metals. There should be 5-6 gallons of coolant in the cooling system, you know roughly how much of that was in the drain pan. Oil and antifreeze create an acidic environment in the oil pan which eats at the bearing surface.

Right now not knowing any more than there was a substantial quantity of antifreeze in the pan for an unknown time the best advice is to tear the engine down.

Second best is find the leak, it's most likely the intake manifold gasket. Next I would pull the main and rod caps, check the condition of bearing surfaces and crank journals. I'd also plastigage each one to determine clearance.

It's a lot of work but from what I understand you don't know how many miles this engine has run like this and that's that only way to find if it has been damaged.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:46 AM   #11

I'm going to agree with RichardE, what you found was coolant and oil that had separated after sitting. How many miles since the last time you checked the oil level with the engine hot?

The load surface of crank bearings is a thin layer of tin and lead, both very soft metals. There should be 5-6 gallons of coolant in the cooling system, you know roughly how much of that was in the drain pan. Oil and antifreeze create an acidic environment in the oil pan which eats at the bearing surface.

Right now not knowing any more than there was a substantial quantity of antifreeze in the pan for an unknown time the best advice is to tear the engine down. These engines work harder than newer car engines and damage happens faster. Engine failure is never convenient, but in an RV it could be hundreds of miles from home, very inconvenient and very expensive.

Second best is find the leak, it's most likely the intake manifold gasket. Next I would pull the main and rod caps, check the condition of bearing surfaces and crank journals. I'd also plastigage each one to determine clearance.

It's a lot of work but from what I understand you don't know how many miles this engine has run like this and that's that only way to find if it has been damaged.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:11 AM   #12

I want to politely but firmly disagree with the advice to change the oil and run it.

Please don’t unless you want to commit to a total engine replacement. An engine will run with water in the oil. An engine will seize the bearings with coolant in the oil. That’s why Argosy recommended to pull the oil pan, disconnect at least one connecting rod, and inspect the bearing surface. If you ran it very long with that much coolant in the oil, that surface will show scuffing and wear. If it does, all the main bearings will require replacement.

The coolant came from somewhere. Find out where. Start with the intake manifold. Look very carefully at the sealing surfaces with light and magnification. If no obvious leak, then you must do the same for the heads. If you have a head gasket leak, it will be obvious when you pull the head. The cylinder where the coolant is leaking will be far cleaner than the surrounding cylinders due to the steam cleaning of that cylinder while running.

I am sorry but there are not shortcuts here, and no magic elixirs to be had at Autozone.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:57 AM   #13

Change the intake gaskets and change the oil and it should be all set. If it was run with coolant in the oil to damage the bearings then the oil would be milky.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:41 AM   #14

As noted by others, the intake manifold gaskets are suspect. The intake manifold has a coolant crossover that leads from the cylinder heads to the thermostat. The aluminum intake mounts against cast iron cylinder heads, which over time can result in electrolysis eroding the intake and gaskets at the coolant ports (front of engine). This coolant can then leak into the engine valley and into the oil. This would be a common cause on an older engine.